4500 / 5500 - Chassis Cab Trucks Talk about your commercial trucks here. We realize there are differences with these compared to the regular pickups, so we have provided a place to discuss the commercial versions only.

options and wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
options and wheels

What are the options you guys that tow would look for in a 45 or 5500? I would like to spec a truck and want to make sure I get what I need. I will be about 24k gcvw. Also what rears (4x4) would you suggest for best all around economy and towing?

How much of a job is it to change a tire on one of these things? Can I do it myself on the side of the road or do the lug nuts have to be so tight I can't move them without an impact wrench?

Can you get a slideing rear window?

thanks
Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 AM

Not owning one I can't answer all your questions. I would look for the pto prep package, and depending on what you're going to use if for get the hd front springs. Someone else will have to chime in on gearing, it will depend a lot on what tranny you get.
Will
Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by thumbs
What are the options you guys that tow would look for in a 45 or 5500? I would like to spec a truck and want to make sure I get what I need. I will be about 24k gcvw. Also what rears (4x4) would you suggest for best all around economy and towing?

How much of a job is it to change a tire on one of these things? Can I do it myself on the side of the road or do the lug nuts have to be so tight I can't move them without an impact wrench?

Can you get a slideing rear window?

thanks
I think you would enjoy a 4500 over the 5500 because it simply rides nicer. I have the Aisin and 4.88 rear end @ 63Mph its about 2050 RPM so nice for towing but not as good for fuel. Also,without modding the ECM the 45/55 is governed to 76MPH. If you were looking for better fuel I would get the 4.44 rear gears, you may downshift more but you would get better fuel mileage crusing. I never had to change a tire on the 5500 but you could do it,they dont come factory with a jack so you would have to carry your own as well as a wrench. You can get the power-sliding window. So far I got 140,000km on mine and no problems accept a leaking axle and now pinion seal on the front diff.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the info. I keep goin back and forth with this thing. I really love my ole 92 but she has had a few problems lately. Also she is 17 years old. Towing cross country maybe iffy. LOL

I am suprised your rpm is 2050 at 63. I would have thought higher but I guess the 19.5 tires really make a difference along with the double overdrive. Fifth and sixth are overdrive right one the auto. Not sure which way I want to go that way also. I have always had sticks. I have an ebrake not and just don't know of the ebrake with an auto will hold it like my stick does. I use the ebrake all the time so it has to work.

I would like to keep the thing stock as much as possible. Just gettin a little long in the tooth anymore. I just want the thing to pull my fifthwheel. I don't want to have to mod this thing like the ole 92 if I can get out of it. Is it necessary to have a pyro? Also do I need a trans temp gauge? Can I be confident that they are set so they can't hurt themselves? You know what I mean. Is it possible for a stock truck to have it's egt's over 1200*? Also does the trans stay within proper temps all this when towing. I know in theory they should be good but wondering your thoughts.