4500 / 5500 - Chassis Cab Trucks Talk about your commercial trucks here. We realize there are differences with these compared to the regular pickups, so we have provided a place to discuss the commercial versions only.

need help with vibrations. Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with vibrations. Please help!!

I have been dealing with this for a while. The dealer put in a new front drive shaft. But nothing changed. Went for a ride with mechanic and reproduced the vibrations at 72 and he said this is normal of all the cab and chassis. He said he confirmed this by taking several new trucks out with the same results. Do any of you guys buy this? what i am experiencing is a pretty hard pull to the right that 3 alignments have not fixed. I have a new front drive shaft. And i experience a howl of sorts at 50 (could be my bed) but then at 72 exactly i get a bad vibration that will not go away until i reach the higher 70's. my only thought is it could be the general tires. Please i am open to any advice. Thanks
Old 06-04-2013, 09:26 PM

My 4500 has bad vibrations in the front just before 70mph, goes away at 75 or so. Not normal, kinda rattling, bad shocks sounding. Truck has 36k miles, only been vibrating for past 3k miles or so. I just ordered front shocks and steering damper for it. See if that'll fix it, ill report. Not sure why it would pull hard one direction.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:25 AM

Thanks for the reply. After 2 new front drive shafts and 3/4 alignments and a new center bushing for rear driveshaft it still vibrates. I suspect that it is in the rear drive shaft as it has changed in speed once they removed the rear driveshaft. Now my problem area is 45-65. It will have to go in again. But now I believe the steering box may be sloppy. The truck pulls to the left now. But really what I think is happening is that there is a lot of play in the steering. It now feels like the front end is somewhere between floating and at times death wobble. I'm so frustrated with this truck and dodge dealers. If they could just fix it that would be great. But this truck has so many problems and I only have 30k. The worse part is this is my backup truck it mainly sees light duty with only a handful of hard working days.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:41 AM

So i had heath wobble real bad and demanded that they look at it. So all my complaints are valid. The truck has 2 bad tie rods ends, 2 bad axle joints, bad steering damper, bad drag link, 2 upper ball joints are bad and i still think the steering box has way too much play. The not so funny thing is the tech took truck for a test drive and got back put on the lift we were inspecting everything and he says i cant believe i just drove this on the highway. this truck is unsafe to drive anywhere. the tie rod ends were about to break. I plow snow so some f/e work is to be expected but ***!!! i personally plow 30 driveways so should not be this detrimental to the truck. unfortunately this truck has been the largest POS. it was down for a month earlier this spring because it could not pass emissions in mass. For all my troubles they are replacing all 6 tires. This is great but i really want a buyback which they will not do for me. The dealer has been alright but love to inconvenience me with rental cars. I pick one up when they say but there is always a stipulation like i have to bring it back in the morning to switch it out for another. really stressful when you are trying to run a business. i think this is going to be my last chrysler for quite a long time as it has left a real bad taste in my mouth.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 AM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny how the worn out components were not discovered in all of those alignments.. Hope things work out for you, the largest problem I have with mine is regens(or lack there of) when it's -40.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:16 AM

I picked up the truck this morning and don't you know after driving on the highway for a few minutes the truck pulls hard left again. And the vibrations are worse than ever at 80. So it's now back at the dealer and the rear end is being serviced because it was so **** hot. Unfortunately there are no signs Of wear and is within spec. They are now checking to see if the rims are on the truck right. (Pretty funny). It gets new tires Monday and they think that will fix it. What else can they check the wheel bearings were cold but the pinion area was hot as hell. So sick Of dealing with this crap. I wish they would buy it back but they refuse to. So now they have to fix the tie rod end again and get a sixth alignment for this pos.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:50 PM

My truck vibrations have been getting worse as well. It doesn't pull one way or another and not sloppy steering, but the truck didn't do this 10k miles ago. Even new shocks on the front, and steering damper, didn't fix the vibrations. They already replaced front tires on mine once, they were getting chewed up somehow and horrible wear. How did it feel with new tires on yours?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 PM

After unsatisfactory results with the dealer and dodge I traded the truck in. I did receive a set of six tires but kept them off the truck so I could sell them to recoup some money. I think alot of the vibrations were the tires but i could not get past all the worn/broken parts in the front end. I feel alot of the problems were the mechanics at the dealer and the terrible system that dodge make the dealers go through to fix their vehicles. i did find that the cab chassis hold almost no value compared to pick ups. I did manage to get a decent trade in value after a lot of shopping. Miss the truck a bit but I am enjoying not having the big payment the constant trips to the dealer and the terrible fuel mileage.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 AM

I see, well sorry to hear about that. Makes me afraid of mine now lol. I have taken it in for the issue before, but now the 36k mile warranty is up, I hope they'll still fix though.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:49 AM

They will be happy to throw parts at it now as you will be paying the bill. In alot of honesty I really think the general tires that come stock are a major part of the vibration problem. They are complete junk. When they out the truck on the lift and ran it at 80 mph they were amazingly distorted and not round uniformly. Not sure how other tires look but they were scary out of shape. I unfortunately had my share of the dealer as I had about 12+ visits for major repairs with not much satisfaction. I had 1 tie to break another just about to break and the new one was installed improperly as the others were. They wanted to change that out for the fourth time. It had two front driveshafts ect ect!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 PM

Its been in for this issue before along with some sort of chatter coming from the rear at 1500rpms, and stops at 1650rpms. So because its not fixed still, ill make them cover it. I'm not sure if its the tires on mine, cause mine only started bad vibrations at around 30k miles, they put new tires on the front and didn't fix it. They said the alignment was good. They blamed the rear chatter on the gn plate, I called bs...I can put a pallet of concrete on it and the rear will still chatter.