4500 / 5500 - Chassis Cab Trucks Talk about your commercial trucks here. We realize there are differences with these compared to the regular pickups, so we have provided a place to discuss the commercial versions only.

Guess the Sterling Bullet is done...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only hope, that a Cummins engine would be an option, when ordering a truck.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ImpulseHydro
IMO,
Ram=Gone
Cummins option=Gone.
Durango=Gone.
Charger=Gone.
Challenger=Gone.
I'm going out for Beer...

Doug.
The Dodge brand will not go away. GM actually wants the Dodge and Jeep brand. There may be some models disappearing, but the Ram will not be one of them. How about rebadging Hummers as Jeeps?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dodge may not go away, the "Ram" may not go away but it could become like the GMC is to the Chevy.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:17 PM

the transition could take years, the money invested in the production of materials i'm sure are stock piled. the hottest vehicles chrysler has had are i believe the 300, the charger, the ram, the challengers are selling very well here. mopar is known for performance and i would think that GM would make the most of the mopar nostalgia.

the cummins is the best know engine out there. everyone knows that cummins is going to be around for a long time and they are dependent on one outlet for their product. with or without GM. ford has cummins as an option as do many other truck mfg.

jeep is the biggest draw because it has been attached to ******, American Motors and then chrysler. try saying jeep and mopar together. jeep stands alone. gm has gotten where it is by being the smartest of the big three.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:18 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by haulin-rv
Dodge may not go away, the "Ram" may not go away but it could become like the GMC is to the Chevy.
So that would make my Bullet which is a Dodge a GMC which is a Chevy I'm with you now...
Old 10-20-2008, 01:18 PM

Probably more like the Chevy is to the GMC
Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 PM

The grill. Its just a re-badged Dodge.
lol i know that but some times the price differece is huge
Old 10-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
March of 2009 ALL STERLING PRODUCTS ARE GONE! They are dissolving the company and are not making trucks anymore.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
March of 2009 ALL STERLING PRODUCTS ARE GONE! They are dissolving the company and are not making trucks anymore.
That we already knew. What the question is like other unique things Sterling
has that will become Freightliner will the Bullet make a change too. It would be simple to change it from the Sterling Bullet to the Freightliner Bullet. But with Daimler not the majority owner in Chrysler (and likely selling the part they still have) is there any interest in even selling a re-branded Dodge anymore.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:47 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The problem I have found is that I don't have access to these trucks as far as information wise. The VIN's are blocked from Chryslers computer system at the dealership level. Lot's of guys have asked me for the grilles and I am unable to get them directly. My Sterling rep in town says he was told to refer customers to Freightliner. They did this when the Sprinters first came to the US. I had to call Freightliner for assistance. Not soon after that they dropped the Freightliner labeling and made them a dedicated Dodge. Freightliner was then calling me as their system was blocked from Dodge. Weird stuff.

Tried to make a backup key for a tow driver the other week and was blocked there too.

Chris
Old 10-21-2008, 04:34 PM

Question

That we already knew. What the question is like other unique things Sterling
has that will become Freightliner will the Bullet make a change too. It would be simple to change it from the Sterling Bullet to the Freightliner Bullet. But with Daimler not the majority owner in Chrysler (and likely selling the part they still have) is there any interest in even selling a re-branded Dodge anymore.
I am not sure that Freightliner will pick up the Bullet or maybe they will without the Cummins. Because I thought a couple of years back Freightliner dropped the Cummins motor line, maybe I am wrong?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
I am not sure that Freightliner will pick up the Bullet or maybe they will without the Cummins. Because I thought a couple of years back Freightliner dropped the Cummins motor line, maybe I am wrong?

Since its essentially a Dodge the Cummins is the only option. And they still offer a Cummins as an option. Here they are for the M class.

Mercedes-Benz MBE 900 Ratings from 170-350 hp
Mercedes-Benz MBE 4000 Ratings from 350-450 hp
Cummins ISB Ratings from 200-300 hp
Cummins ISC Ratings from 240-330 hp
Caterpillar C13 Ratings from 305-470 hp
Old 10-22-2008, 02:49 AM

Well that would certainly explain why the bullet 5500 can be had for 35 grand and change. At least up by me. I called a dodge dealer yesterday about the dodge 5500...I'll see what he says...
Old 10-22-2008, 05:13 AM

Just read that Renault-Nissan is looking to buy 20% of Chysler and make them a partner in their "alliance". Perhaps we will see Cummins powerd, Dodge built, Nissan Titans in the future. Also, Nissan is establishing a Lightwight Commercial Vehicle (LCV) division. Perhaps the 4500 and 5500 models will find a home there.

John
Old 10-24-2008, 03:02 PM

it's fun speculating on what is going to happen next with Chrysler. none of us have a clue other then we are going off of day old information which may or may not be correct.

Quick Reply: Guess the Sterling Bullet is done...