4500 / 5500 - Chassis Cab Trucks Talk about your commercial trucks here. We realize there are differences with these compared to the regular pickups, so we have provided a place to discuss the commercial versions only.

Any info on the 2011 5500???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any info on the 2011 5500???

I'm hearing that theirs 5500 info available... Increased GCWR???
Old 03-16-2010, 07:45 AM

You can Google 2011 Doge 5500 . Everything I saw showed same specs as 2010 as far as capacities go .
Old 03-16-2010, 03:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check www.allpar.com/trucks/chassis-cab.html for info on the 2010's.

Try http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/ram-chassis-cabs.html for info on the 2011's. Take the info as you will. It is not certified by anyone. There is probably more websites with information as well. This is the first place I check when curious about something new.

I've had Dealer Region Managers from Chrysler shrug their shoulders when asked about some details of upcoming vehicles. Even they learn details from Allpar before Chrysler tells them anything. If they get anything at all from the US side of Chrysler. (I'm up in Alberta.) Whoever leaks the details there must be pretty high up, and the info is usually good unless dramatic events like the mandatory factory stop happens.

In Canada, the 5500 code guides were issued back Feb 4th, and reissued and updated March 12th. It shows standard options per trim level. The group breakdowns of what is selectable in each trim, but not what groups might be restricted due to factory restrictions. (ie. You might have to wait for a entertainment group, but a radio in that group is available, but not with a backup camera.) Paint colours are listed, but still may have restrictions per colour. Just like how certain colours with fender flares on a Laramie 3500 in the 2010 year is delayed. Still.

No prices have been disclosed. The guides also will not list capabilities like towing and payload. For dealers, those usually some in the form of a Specifications Guide for all trucks, C&C's, and the Dakota, Durango, and Nitro. Those come with a job rating guide and some details about how bodies can be up fitted, axle ratios and dimensions. The last one I received was for 2009. It mostly worked for the 2010's too.

Eventually all the needed details will be revealed first with a 2 page catalog which has a few details, but mostly flashy pictures and options. A regular catalog will follow, slowly doled out to the dealers as fast as printing can go. Back in 2009 I received 3 total fleet product guides. They list every model with specifications and a small write up of the highlights. Something useful for a quick photocopy to hand to someone for quick fleet reasons. In 2010 I received 7. That allowed me to let a few go to customers. A one stop 180 page book. Don't expect this from many dealers.

For now, I can't say I have that exact information in a official format from Chrysler. They may be something out there, but hasn't been shipped to me yet.

Hope this helps.

Jerith
The following 2 users liked this post by Jerith:
jthorpe (11-07-2010)
Old 05-16-2010, 04:13 PM

The 2011's have the urea injection on them. The laramies have not been released either. I went in yesterday to order up a laramie and they dont know when you can. I could order up an SLT, but I want the heated leather seats. I am waiting patiently for my 2011 4500 laramie. Not sure when the smarty will be available, but I plan on doing the deletes and seeing what mileage I will be getting, possibly getting rid of the urea injection event as well.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
this may help;
http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/201...c/dpmlupcc.pdf
Old 07-03-2010, 01:52 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dodge is still hung up on the 26K GCWR..The only place this pencils out is in the private sector or truck only.. Most states require a CDL for a trailer over 10K so the 26K is moot..

Come on Dodge the working class needs your help here...
Old 07-03-2010, 05:37 PM

different mfgs use different critieria to determine GCVWR. Ram uses extensive testing in the desert mountains with progressively loaded trailers to find the mecanical stopping point in adding weight; the testing speed limit is 45mph.
there is no set testing criterial for all mfgs to comply with. there will be in a couple of years is my understanding then all mfgs will have to comply and the results will be apples to apples.

ram emphasis is on safety, life of drivetrain (dependability, enderance). after all that is how cummins go it's reputation as a million mile engine.

after conversations with Chris Borsan, engineer on the C & C and the NTEA (national truck equipment association, which i am a member of) there is nothing i can do to increase the GCVWR. when i purchased my 08 5500 i thought an upfitter could increase the capacity. i was really frustrated and dissapointed that i am stuck with the rating.

I am right at the 26k limit towing my equipment, i need another 5k (i am tagged for 30k in CA as a cushion, but it doesn't change my GCVWR.) a lot of states don't care about the GCVWR apparantly, but some do. check with your state and the states you will be driving in. Check with your insurance carrier, they may care less.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 AM

So how much can a 2009 5500 C/C haul? or what do you think the GCVWR should or could be? I run farm plates and the DOT guys seem only interested with the tire and axle ratings. I am registered for very little wieght on my plates but as long as I am hauling "farm" goods to my farm seems like the sky is the limit.........
Old 07-10-2010, 09:30 PM

i think if you took a pole, you'd find guys running 35-40k. i certainly would like 30k.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:37 PM

It appears that they are discontinuing the automatic tranny in the 2011, anybody else hear that? My 09 5500 is in the shop now with a crack in the transmision case. May have to replace the entire transmision, but it is under the 290,000 km warranty. Only problem is the truck is supposed to be leaving tonight to pick up feed. Once again my beloved dodge has left me stranded and searching for an alternative trucking option. My experience has been that the trans is the weak point. Had the transfer case break in half bout a month ago, now the trans case is cracked. Maybe eliminating this auto tranny is a good idea. I am already looking at a 2011 5500 C/C but if I have the same issues with it, it will probably be my final dodge purchase and I will have to up grade to something heavier. Let's hope they get this trans issue figured out cause I love the truck, lots of power, great suspension and fairly affordable for a work truck for me........
Old 07-30-2010, 01:43 PM
With age comes the cage

Where did the case crack at? Mine is throwing a code 0700 at me..
Old 07-30-2010, 04:12 PM

Cracked right along one of the bolt holes on the pan at the back of the trans. My cel was on but I am not sure what code it was throwing.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 PM

YOu can order the truck with an auto still. I almost dropped the hammer on a laramie 4500 but held off. Not sure on the urea injection. I love my manual, but with the gearing, they need a 7 speed manual to make me go to it. The double overdrive in the auto is really nice. Even with 4.44's. I prefer to shift, but with the loss in mileage I will get the auto.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:44 PM

If I choose to get another 5500 C/C, I will never go with another auto. They cannot stand up to the work I need to have done. If the manual can't handle it, I will have to upgrade to a heavier truck.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:54 PM
With age comes the cage

ponyboy,

You need to go hang out in the big truck section and talk to them guys..I think you could haul more for less in a bigger rig..

Quick Reply: Any info on the 2011 5500???