Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4500 / 5500 - Chassis Cab Trucks (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4500-5500-chassis-cab-trucks-158/)
-   -   air ride (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4500-5500-chassis-cab-trucks-158/air-ride-251588/)

roughride 09-05-2009 09:03 AM

air ride

Has anyone installed an air ride on their rig? I plan on using Kelderman.

Joezilla 09-05-2009 02:00 PM

Roughride,

What is involved with a Kelderman Air Ride system? I'm looking for a 4500 Laramie and realize that I might need to soften up the ride a bit.

Joe

roughride 09-06-2009 10:49 AM

Air ride - Kelderman

The Kelderman web site offers a 4 bag 4 link for the rear of our trucks. This replaces the leaf springs for 3000$ For 1700$ you can get a two bag setup for the rear that fits between the aft leaf spring and the chassis. They have a front bag setup but no explanation on the setup it was around 1375$. I live in Alaska, so I will need a drier for the removal of moisture - 400$ and the automatic controller for the system - 2000$. It will not be cheap but I have to have it to drive the truck empty else I wear a kidney belt. Its to bad that the dealers won't offer trucks like ours with this already installed.

Joezilla 09-06-2009 12:15 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I'll keep Kelderman in mind.

Are the roads in Alaska really that bad? The wife are discussing hauling our RV to Alaska on the trip of a lifetime in 2011.

Joe[guitar]

roughride 09-06-2009 01:47 PM

Rough roads

The roads could be better up here. The 5500 really lets you know how bad they really are.

rfeiller 09-07-2009 11:42 PM

does kelderman claim to soften your ride if you add air bags?

roughride 09-08-2009 10:10 AM

Rough roads

Yes, thats the only reason I would modify a new truck. I would like to have my cake and eat it too. A truck that rides like a caddy and can tow a house.

P Kennedy 09-08-2009 06:52 PM

Look up Hendrickson and go to Emergency vehicles and then look at "Comfort Air" this is the air ride all of our F350, F450 & F550 4X4 site ambulances. Certified by the OEM and rated 12,000 lbs to 23,000 lbs. And if you think it is still too rough look up US seating company and they make air ride brackets for your Dodge to mount National Cushion Air big rig truck seats and many configurations including leather.

P Kennedy 09-08-2009 07:30 PM

The link for the seats is Industrialseating.com> medium light duty> Dodge air ride brackets and the seats are the same ones used in the big trucks. Sorry not US seating.

roughride 09-11-2009 07:58 PM

Rough ride

I went ahead and ordered a complete Kelderman air ride setup for my Dodge 5500 in lieu of an air ride seat. Thanks for your reply.

Joezilla 09-11-2009 09:31 PM

Roughride,

If you don't mind, how much did a complete Kelderman air ride setup cost? You can reply by PM if you prefer. I'm thinking I may have to go this route too.

Joe

roughride 09-12-2009 10:29 AM

Cost of Kelderman

I went with a 4 bag setup for the rear, which replaces the leaf spring, for 3000$. The front bag setup cost 1375$ and replaced the coil springs. The electronic self leveling controller was 2000$. I ordered a drier which keeps the moisture out of the system for 400$ I dealt with a guy named Jeff from Kelderman. They cut me a really good deal on shipping. I will let you know how the install goes. My truck actually arrives off of the barge next Tuesday.

Colo_River_Ram 09-12-2009 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by roughride (Post 2575091)
I went with a 4 bag setup for the rear, which replaces the leaf spring, for 3000$. The front bag setup cost 1375$ and replaced the coil springs. The electronic self leveling controller was 2000$. I ordered a drier which keeps the moisture out of the system for 400$ I dealt with a guy named Jeff from Kelderman. They cut me a really good deal on shipping. I will let you know how the install goes. My truck actually arrives off of the barge next Tuesday.

Don't forget the pics and write up.. Have fun with the install.

roan65 10-21-2009 11:42 PM

Roughride, where are you at?? I am in wasilla and have a KORE race. It is ok, really rough on the front. I was thinking the air ride would be sweet. Let us know!

roughride 10-24-2009 09:27 AM

I love the Kelderman air ride kit I put on my Dodge 5500. That being said it was a pain the the a%@ getting the parts here. I received the kit from Lyndon Freight. There were inventory sheets that were checked off and initialed as the parts were put in the box from Kelderman. I ended up missing the lower mounts for the front air bag system and a harness that controls two of the air valves in the control box. Jeff (owner) from Kelderman was very helpful, but when you pay 7500$ for a kit you expect it to be **** on. I ordered the 1,1/4" sway bar to replace the one in the back. The install took about a week for me. Big bolts, very heavy duty stuff. The instructions say they do not guarnteee 100% fitment, there again when you pay 7500$ for a kit you expect it to be right. When I installed the sway bar and aired up the bags the bar hit on both bottom air bag mounts. I had already gutted my leaf spring packs from the rear so I peaced them out and shimmed the sway bar so it would clear the mounts when the bags were at full extension. The in cab controller is a two position toggle switch with a program button. The instructions said to "hook the orange wire to an approved 12V ignition soarce, check owners manual for a location to connect to a 12V ignition source," I had a hell of a time finding that source. I eventually installed a switch off the battery to power the in cab controlls. The installation instructions for the 4 position sensors are not vehicle specific, nor are the instructions in general. For 7500$ you would expect clear precise instructions that would match your vehicle, NOT SO. Needless to say the sensors are installed but they are not rigged. Its starting to get cold and I will probably wait until next spring to finish the rig. I can control all 4 corners of my truck from the cab and change the height of the truck at a push of a button. I am pleased with the ride and the kit was worth it, but it has been tough.

bobwhite 10-26-2009 05:39 AM

I was looking at the Talon Air Ride system for the 3500 that I plan on getting in the next month or two. Their kit is about $3700 for the entire rear setup with self leveling system and compressors and also includes the setup for the front suspension. Here's the link...

http://www.stengelbros.com/Talon%20Air%20Ride.htm

roughride 10-26-2009 08:17 AM

I looked at the Talon before I went with Kelderman. It looks like a cool setup. If I remember right they didn't offer a front setup for my truck.

bobwhite 10-27-2009 05:33 AM

I saw that they only supported up to a 08' model, but is there any differences between the 07/08 and the 09's, as far as suspension goes?

roughride 10-27-2009 08:20 AM

Couldn't tell you, but I bet that there is no difference.