Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4500 / 5500 - Chassis Cab Trucks (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4500-5500-chassis-cab-trucks-158/)
-   -   5500 towing a Kaufman max 6 trailer.... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4500-5500-chassis-cab-trucks-158/5500-towing-kaufman-max-6-trailer-316748/)

nero6370 02-28-2014 12:50 PM

5500 towing a Kaufman max 6 trailer....

I saw that set up yesterday here in Las Vegas. It caught my attention because I just ordered a 5500, and have been researching the mini 5 Kaufman trailer. I know for a fact that the max trailer capacity for the 5500 is 29600 lbs. The gross combined is only 37500 pounds. The GVW of that particular model trailer is 48000 pounds. So of course, my immediate thought was how is this guy operating legally and safely? Unless there's something I don't know, there's no way he can be. Any thoughts?

NFlCamper 02-28-2014 01:28 PM

Although the trailer can handle a max weight of 48000# he is still limited to his trucks capacities leagally.

nero6370 03-01-2014 10:07 AM

Funny thing, I ran into the guy. Says he's registered at 54,999; that's to avoid the heavy use hwy tax. So he knows at least that much about commercial carrier regs. No license plate, DOT, MC, or IFTA labels on the 5500. Plus he's got a quad cab w a 84" ca, which has even less trailer towing capacity than a regular cab w a 60" ca. Plus he's out of California, so how he made it past the scales is beyond me. Not to mention how he's insured commercially when if he actually was loaded to his registered capacity, he'd be overweight by 17,499 lbs...

NFlCamper 03-01-2014 03:51 PM

What does the truck weigh? My 2500 is 7,2000 so lets up that to 9,000# for 6.7 and we don't know what he carries.

What does the trailer weigh EMPTY? Web site says less than 9,000# empty.
5500 max GCWR is 37500. Subtract 9,000# for truck = 28,500 then subtract 9,000# for trailer = 19,500# he can put on the trailer. 5 x 3,000# average per car = 15,000# That leaves a little wiggle room for throwing an SUV or truck on the trailer too. I see Dodge 3500 w/ similar 5 car trailers at work all the time. I work at the Port of Jacksonville where we send a lot of cars overseas.

5500 max trailer is 29,000? Subtract 9,000# for empty trailer = 20,000# of cars he can haul - but that puts him over on the GCWR. So his limiting factor is his GCWR.

Just because that trailer can MAX out at 48,000# doesn't mean he CAN load it to the MAXIMUM towing it with a 5500. 48,000# minus the 9,000# trailer empty weight = 39,000 the trailer could carry, BUT he would need a BIGGER truck to take advantage of the trailers MGWR. Just means for him, the trailer can haul longer lighter vehicles. Maybe he delivers empty cargo trailers? IDK? He just bought a trailer that CAN haul more than his truck.

As far as registering at 54,999# - that may be the closest registration point for his capacities he tows to not go over ever. What is the next point for registration? I bet it is the 26,000 or 25,999# that some states require for CDL licenses. He could go over that with his setup and be within his GCWR.

It is all a numbers GAME.

nero6370 03-01-2014 04:10 PM

Base weight for that model RAM is 8330 pounds. Regardless, the guy is so illegal that I'm surprised he's even on the road more than a day without catching the attention of Highway Patrol or the DOT. Hopefully, we don't see him on the news or YouTube after spilling 6 cars on the i15 perhaps killing some people in the process.

nero6370 03-01-2014 04:14 PM

My mistake, base weight for that model is 8523 pounds.

NFlCamper 03-01-2014 07:54 PM

How is he illegal?

Base weight is only a starting point - I upped it to 9,000# already.

Add to that 9,000# for empty trailer - Web site says UNDER 9,000# He may have tools and chains/straps.

So now he is 18,000#

GCWR = Gross Combined weight of EVERYTHING!
37,500# minus the truck and trailer weight of 18,000# = 19,500# of weight LEFT for cars, trucks, or SUVs. Divided by 6 is an average weight of 3,250#. I thought it was a 5 car trailer? 19,500#/5 cars = 3,900# average per car. Small cars weigh less than that. Remember - cars should be shipped with less than 1/8 tank of fuel to help prevent fuel spills in the event of an accident.

We use 3,000# average weight per auto going on ships overseas (1.5ton each). 4,000# average (2tons) per SUV and 5,000# average per truck (2.5ton). So, with 6 small cars x 3,000 average weight = 18,000#. He is still under his max GCWR by 1,500 lbs.

nero6370 03-03-2014 11:40 AM

according to the NHP inspector I just spoke with, he's illegal due to several factors, many of which I've already stated as far as no signage, etc. not to mention he is incorrectly registered at a gross combined weight that far exceeds the manufacturers limitations. Anyone who has hauled commercially knows they are going to make more money the more they haul, so it's a pretty safe bet that he's not going to stay at 6 small cars to stay under the 37500 pound capacity of his vehicle. otherwise, what is the point of having a 6 car trailer and registering your vehicle at 54999?

NFlCamper 03-03-2014 12:40 PM

Your first post doesn't mention signage - not my field of experience.

I was just pointing out he CAN haul without going over his GCWR and towing capacity. If he hauls bigger vehicles, they take up more room and thereby can haul fewer at a time. Still within weight limits of the truck. THAT IS WHAT YOUR FIRST POST WAS ABOUT.
As far as being illegal about the other stuff, I get the sense you are too worried about him.

nero6370 03-03-2014 01:24 PM

I was actually hoping it was legal and safe. That way, I could set myself up in the same way. I'll just stick with a 5 car trailer, and not have to stress everyday about being inspected.

DBS1 05-22-2014 11:56 PM

Where I am in California, a Hauler down the street is running 3 Rigs just like that with 5500's and the Max 6. Some how I was under the impression that all that scales really look at are axle weights? I might be wrong since i am not in the hauling business. Just my 2 cents

NE frmhnd 05-24-2014 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by DBS1 (Post 3237579)
Where I am in California, a Hauler down the street is running 3 Rigs just like that with 5500's and the Max 6. Some how I was under the impression that all that scales really look at are axle weights? I might be wrong since i am not in the hauling business. Just my 2 cents

Axle weights and registered vs gross weight.

ridofpwrstroke 07-11-2014 07:37 PM

Im not sure what 5500 he has, but my 5500 4wd crew cab, 60" cab to axle, weighed in at 8910lbs with zero bed on the back. I have the auto

2cents 08-20-2023 12:49 PM

Forgive me for saying this, but you guys are ALL wrong.... or at least none of you are completely right. You are in 3 different worlds: What Dodge says the truck can do, What Kaufman says the trailer can do, and what DOT says you can do. Your main concerns with Dodge is that they are going to fix it under warranty and that you can stop when you hit the brakes. It doesn't matter what your concerns are with Kaufman - you are on your own and dead to them the moment the trailer rolls out of their yard. Now with DOT, you've got a lot of concerns and these are the ones that get you fined or shut down...
First off, ANYONE TOWING MORE THAN 10,000#s are required to be Class A CDL - the whole deal. Door Decals, "Fire Extinguisher inside", no chance of making a sleeper out of the back seat (better have hotel receipts), EVERY light bulb has to work, you are required to be PERFECTLY SAFE. Your windshield washer fluid squirter doesn't work? You are illegal. They don't like a tire? It gets replaced right here and now. Get red flagged a lot? There goes your score and every time they run your numbers on your door when they pass you, they know your score sucks, and you're gonna get pulled over and inspected a lot. You cross state lines? Many more requirements ELD'S, IFTA REPORTING...
So how can a set-up like this be legal? It comes down to your TIRES and are you giving the government enough money (by plating the truck heavy enough). You could probably plate a Dodge Durango to 80,000 #s and DOT will take your money. Are you legal? That depends what happens when they have you drive across a scale. A typical 80k# 18 wheeler is going to be a max of 12k on the steer tires, 34k on the drives, and 34k on the trailer tires.
For the set-up you are describing, you've got to become legal by paying the government the money for the privilege of abusing their highways by being heavy (which we are hard on them - just look in the #1 lane and the pavement if rougher there), which is getting the truck plated to 50k which is enough or 54,999 (get quotes - could be same cost). So you plate the truck to at least 50k or more so you don't go over on your total weight, but then go spend the money on the finest tires you can get for your truck. Maybe Michelin XZE 245/70 19.5's in a 16 ply Load Range H that goes up to 120 psi and when it says on the side of it that the max load is 4940 pounds (approximately from memory) - that max pound rating which is a little lower for duals x 4 is the DOT GOSPEL that they go by. They don't know or care what Dodge says in their brochure. They care how much weight your tires can hold. So those crappy 225 tire's with the 4 ply sidewall that might be on one of these trucks have a much lower weight rating. So in my example, you could legally run more than 19,000 pounds on the drive axle. You are probably going to average around 15000 pounds of tongue weight on your drive axle. You'll never be overweight on the steers, but put the best tires on the steers you can if you have a strong will to live. Same with the trailer - add up the tires and that and the weight rating you paid for on your plate and THAT is what makes you legal.
Panic Stops is a different subject. Go SLOW. 60 mph max and in stop and go traffic that is going 0-35, 0-35, 0-35, just go 15 and let everyone pass you and cut you off. It will only take you 3 minutes longer to get there and you'll never rear end anyone and every time you touch your brakes it cost you $1+.
Back to DODGE - BUY THE COMMERCIAL COVERAGE WARRANTY AND BUY THE BEST, LONGEST, MOST MILES YOU CAN. If you buy the COMMERCIAL warranty, you covered yourself for working the hell out of the truck and they will cover it (do fuel filters every oil change - they are going to ask you to prove when you changed them last and buy your def from the dodge parts dept). If you don't buy the COMMERCIAL WARRANTY and have your truck with huge trailer full of cars like they've never seen before towed in to service, or even if you hide the trailer and your truck comes in with a huge problem and your door says 54,999 #'s, there is a real good chance they are going to laugh at you and tell you that your are on your own. Be safe!

AllenHead 01-24-2024 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2cents (Post 3386131)
Forgive me for saying this, but you guys are ALL wrong.... or at least none of you are completely right. You are in 3 different worlds: What Dodge says the truck can do, What Kaufman says the trailer can do, and what DOT says you can do. Your main concerns with Dodge is that they are going to fix it under warranty and that you can stop when you hit the brakes. It doesn't matter what your concerns are with Kaufman - you are on your own and dead to them the moment the trailer rolls out of their yard. Now with DOT, you've got a lot of concerns and these are the ones that get you fined or shut down...
First off, ANYONE TOWING MORE THAN 10,000#s are required to be Class A CDL - the whole deal. Door Decals, "Fire Extinguisher inside", no chance of making a sleeper out of the back seat (better have hotel receipts), EVERY light bulb has to work, you are required to be PERFECTLY SAFE. Your windshield washer fluid squirter doesn't work? You are illegal. They don't like a tire? It gets replaced right here and now. Get red flagged a lot? There goes your score and every time they run your numbers on your door when they pass you, they know your score sucks, and you're gonna get pulled over and inspected a lot. You cross state lines? Many more requirements ELD'S, IFTA REPORTING...
So how can a set-up like this be legal? It comes down to your TIRES and are you giving the government enough money (by plating the truck heavy enough). You could probably plate a Dodge Durango to 80,000 #s and DOT will take your money. Are you legal? That depends what happens when they have you drive across a scale. A typical 80k# 18 wheeler is going to be a max of 12k on the steer tires, 34k on the drives, and 34k on the trailer tires.
Spoiler

For the set-up you are describing, you've got to become legal by paying the government the money for the privilege of abusing their highways by being heavy (which we are hard on them - just look in the #1 lane and the pavement if rougher there), which is getting the truck plated to 50k which is enough or 54,999 (get quotes - could be same cost). So you plate the truck to at least 50k or more so you don't go over on your total weight, but then go spend the money on the finest tires you can get for your truck. Maybe Michelin XZE 245/70 19.5's in a 16 ply Load Range H that goes up to 120 psi and when it says on the side of it that the max load is 4940 pounds (approximately from memory) - that max pound rating which is a little lower for duals x 4 is the DOT GOSPEL that they go by. They don't know or care what Dodge says in their brochure. They care how much weight your tires can hold. So those crappy 225 tire's with the 4 ply sidewall that might be on one of these trucks have a much lower weight rating. So in my example, you could legally run more than 19,000 pounds on the drive axle. You are probably going to average around 15000 pounds of tongue weight on your drive axle. You'll never be overweight on the steers, but put the best tires on the steers you can if you have a strong will to live. Same with the trailer - add up the tires and that and the weight rating you paid for on your plate and THAT is what makes you legal.
Panic Stops is a different subject. Go SLOW. 60 mph max and in stop and go traffic that is going 0-35, 0-35, 0-35, just go 15 and let everyone pass you and cut you off. It will only take you 3 minutes longer to get there and you'll never rear end anyone and every time you touch your brakes it cost you $1+.
Back to DODGE - BUY THE COMMERCIAL COVERAGE WARRANTY AND BUY THE BEST, LONGEST, MOST MILES YOU CAN. If you buy the COMMERCIAL warranty, you covered yourself for working the hell out of the truck and they will cover it (do fuel filters every oil change - they are going to ask you to prove when you changed them last and buy your def from the dodge parts dept). If you don't buy the COMMERCIAL WARRANTY and have your truck with huge trailer full of cars like they've never seen before towed in to service, or even if you hide the trailer and your truck comes in with a huge problem and your door says 54,999 #'s, there is a real good chance they are going to laugh at you and tell you that your are on your own. Be safe!

Ok, thanks. I will keep it in my mind.