4500 / 5500 - Chassis Cab Trucks Talk about your commercial trucks here. We realize there are differences with these compared to the regular pickups, so we have provided a place to discuss the commercial versions only.

4500 flatbed

Old 01-29-2009, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by thumbs View Post
Now the thing that I don't understand is if the fifthwheel is lower to the deck of the flatbed then how much clearance do you have to allow for the truck to camper angle differences while entering and leaveing the highway or uneven surfaces? This coupled with the 9' deck length on the 4500 give me pause for thought. I am told there will be enough if the fb is tapered or angled at the courners but I'm till not sure about the camper hittin the deck on uneven surfaces. Anyone know anything about this?

Thought about this a bit on the ride in. For the first question, I'm sure whatever clearance you have to the deck is probably better than with a normal bed side.

The second or could be a problem, but it would be easy to figure out yourself. Check the upfitters guide and compaire the measurement from the axel to the rear of the frame, if it's the same as a regular 3500 you are going to be fine.

I also have another lead on the flatbed, I didn't want to say until I got back to the office and was sure I still had the number. Check with Intercon TruckBody - all they do is custom beds. http://www.intercontruck.com/

610-364-9500 ask for Jerry or Dennis.

don't let the website put you off, they were more than willing to do a plain jane 7x8 for my truck.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:05 AM

Smile my fith wheel flat bed hitch

[QUOTE=thumbs;2362404]Thanks. I am wondering if you can put a fifthwheel hitch on a flatbed also?

this is what i did

took and mounted my reese 15k 5th wheel hitch to some 3 inch square tubing instead of the arches that came with it and mounted it directly to my flat bed with 4 each 1/2 inch bolts and nuts on each side. make sure the square tubing is long enough to span the channel cross members under the deck on the flat bed and center hitch over axle.

two of the four bolts went into the deck and two went through deck and channel to secure it on each side. after every thing was in position i welded the nuts in place under the deck so that i can remove hitch when it was not needed
Old 02-03-2009, 02:04 AM

I'm using a B&W fifth wheel on a 11' flatbed. They have setups specifically for flatbeds. You can remove the whole setup in less then 2 minutes and have a flat deck and also can put in a ball for goosenecks. Just google them to find their website. There are no clearance issues and in fact I can go places others with pickup bed would have problems. Also my fifth wheel camper rides completely level. My current truck is a F550 with a steel flatbed used for work and play. Next yr I plan on getting another truck and putting on a 9' bed like your talking about. If I get a chance I'll post some pictures.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:08 PM

Yeah I would like to see some picts. I just don't want to get a truck and find out later it won't work.

Your not gonna believe this but I was just talkin to a guy with an International 8100 pullin a pretty good size toyhauler. Picked up the tractor pretty cheap. It has me thinkin. But like my wife says "Stop thinkin your not equiped for it".

I was also talkin to another guy that fabs flatbeds. He said he could make me an aluminum one with the fifth wheel installed for about 5k.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:57 AM

Hey I'm sorry I haven't gotten those pictures up yet. Been a bit busy hauling hay but I'll try this weekend. I think their website is www.turnoverball.com Give them a call. They make a kit especially for flatbeds. The overall configuration is very clean and allows for their fifth wheel or a drop in ball. Just pull a lever underneith to release. I guess you guys won't mind me posting pictures of a Ford on this site
Old 02-12-2009, 08:18 AM

I have been doin some measuring and think the 9' flatbed on the 60" c/a 4500 will work. Like you were sayin thought I want to be able to have the flatbed flat when not using the fifthwheel. I think B&W makes a thing called the companion also. I for one would like to see the picts for sure.

Hey I have a post on another thread about milage on these 4500's. Can anyone help me with the right gear trans selection for pullin my fiver? The weight I will be pullin is about 15k. I have to get the best fuel econ I can and still have a puller. Was talkin to a guy with 488's and the mileage is a bit tough for me.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:37 PM

Thumbs up Pa Flat Bed Manufacture

Gary, since you are in PA you might want to look at Eby flat beds. A friend has one on his 4500 and is very happy with it, and from what I can see the quality is A1.

http://www.mheby.com/truck/flatbed_trucks.php
Old 02-13-2009, 08:06 PM

Thanks, just sent them an email. If the price is right they sure will be close enough.

Does you buddy tow with a fifthwheel?
thanks again
Gary
Old 02-13-2009, 08:18 PM
With age comes the cage

Originally Posted by aarondeere View Post
Hey I'm sorry I haven't gotten those pictures up yet. Been a bit busy hauling hay but I'll try this weekend. I think their website is www.turnoverball.com Give them a call. They make a kit especially for flatbeds. The overall configuration is very clean and allows for their fifth wheel or a drop in ball. Just pull a lever underneith to release. I guess you guys won't mind me posting pictures of a Ford on this site

That would be the 1500 flatbed kit... It has a weld in socket and release lever..
Old 02-18-2009, 02:13 PM

Here are the attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails 4500 flatbed-1.jpg   4500 flatbed-2.jpg   4500 flatbed-3.jpg   4500 flatbed-4.jpg   4500 flatbed-5.jpg  

Old 02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
With age comes the cage

If you want some interesting conversation with the folks from B&W tell them your going to elevate the 1500 1 1/2" to facilitate a Rumber deck... , I added a secondary latch for safety..

Hooked UP..

And Haulin'

Old 02-21-2009, 12:42 PM

Colo_River_Ram, did you build that body yourself? Very nice bed. I like the 2" receiver tubes built in the corners of the skirt. I also like the ball protruding from the bed when you need it. I had a hillsboro on my 01 cummins, with a trap door covering the ball, which was recessed below the deck. Yours looks alot nicer. What is the decking on the front of the body?
Ben
Old 02-21-2009, 03:18 PM
With age comes the cage

Thanks Ben,

Every socket on that bed with the exception of the GN is 2" slip / receiver tube, I used a 20ft stick on the project. I like the 2" slip tube tube as you can build slip in accessories. I have a pipe and regular vise mounted to a bracket that slips in the sockets. The holes on the rub rail brackets are for the hook style ratchet straps. the truck bed and the trailers I built in the sig line are identical in width so that all accessories will interchange .. The winters are long in Colo. so you build things to keep cabin fever from setting in..

The front of the bed is set up with 1/2" plate in the middle for an upright hydraulic winch.. the rest of the bed metal is 3/16" tread-plate the fenders / running boards are 1/8". My trap door gives me access to trailer hookup socket, electrical connections for the bed / trailer and I positioned it over the LP as well.. The two 3" square holes under the rear center marker lights are the socket tubes for the winch poles when I get the winch mounted.. Future plans also include a hydraulic driven welder and air compressor. A custom built bumper / grill guard with hydraulic winch for the front.

topped offed with fuel the truck weighs in at 10,800..