3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

XRF balljoints still the best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XRF balljoints still the best?

Balljoints out. Matter of fact I paid for them to be changed about 20,000 miles ago. They did the job in 3-4 hours. I supplied all 4 to a small shop, XRF. I'm thinking they only changed the uppers or lowers at the time or only one side. Think got loose again real fast (clunking) so I held off but gave in this month and I changed out every single other part in the front end and the shop (another shop) upon finishing the job said, "hey you know your ball joints are dangerously loose".

Ugh, not worth dying over. Credit card time after spending around $1150 already on it this month.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Almost a year on my XRF's and am still very satisfied. Did the "small shop" overtighten the nuts on the balljoints? If they are overtightened them it will cause premature wear. What kind of roads are you driving on? Also, 3-4 hrs for the job? That's quite a bit of work for such a short amount of time. If they used impact wrenches for this job (especially on the balljoints) then they very well may have caused your issues.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM

Don't know, I need new ones at least the drivers side.. I drive on tore up city streets. Probably as bad as the oil patch around here .
Old 07-10-2012, 09:53 AM

When I did my balljoints I also did the upgraded steering and all new wheel joints as well....taking my time it did take me about 10 hrs....but, like I said, I took my time and made sure I did the job right. I can't afford not to!!! The streets around here aren't so great either....My mom refuses to bring her Vette to my house because " you're street is horrible!!!!" Can't blame her, it's a very nice car. Checked my front-end a few weeks ago and everything is still tight.....I'm happy with everything so far.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:55 AM

Another thing.....give XRF a call and see if their "lifetime warranty" deal holds any truth!!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 AM

I got 120k on my xrf lowers and their still tight as the day i installed them ( carli uppers) Im very impressed how they have held up, i went through 3 sets of moog and the stock set in 60k so im very happy!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:15 AM

^^^^^ glad to hear!!! That's great news for some of us.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:00 PM

Yeah, I'll have to call xrf this week.

Really want to get a couple more years out of this truck without doing a bunch of maintenance to it.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:18 PM

Update.

I couldn't find my reciept for the XRFs and they wouldn't warranty them. Didn't have time to go back to my credit card company to search so I just bought Carli balljoints.

The shop installed them for $431 labor only. Also got new outter CV joints just because it was apart for a couple hundred more.

They seem to be quality and working great compared to my old ones. Don't know if the XRF were not quality or if was an installer error.

One comment on the XRF was that when I had them installed last year they were super tight for a while when steering. The shop that installed these said it was a son of a gun to get them out also.

The upside to this is that with the money spent on this front end I don't want a new truck; everything is new but the steering box. I need to get my drivers seat repadded, a couple scratches touched up, a good detail, and it will be like a new truck again .