3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Window Shades

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Shades

Is everyone using the ones that just stick on the outside of the door or the ones that go into the window channel? I have only looked at them in catalogs, does the ones that go into the channel jeopardize the window seal?
Old 02-04-2007, 06:42 PM

Im curious to know this as well I picked up a set of the ones that stick on the outside but if I could get the channel lock ones and not stick something on the outside of my truck..
Old 02-04-2007, 06:47 PM

I have the stick on ones and if they were not on my vehicle when I bought it I would not put them back on. If you run threw deep snow and it blows up it just sticks to you window and will not blow off. They are fine other than that. They let in freash air great.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:41 AM

I just put on the outside stick on Auto Vent Shades, so far no problem. That company used to make the 'in channel' type but stopped, too much trouble with them. Not a whole lotta room in that channel, putting a piece of plastic in there causes problems, plastic coming out, cracking etc.

I wanted to get the in channels but the guy I bought them from has the 'in channels' from another company, he told me to forget about them. Me thinks, he sells both types, he'd know.

The stick ons don't look too bad...
Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the in-channel on this truck for over two and a half years without issues. I had them on my last truck without issues. Before that I used the stick on ones. Not really many issues with the stick on ones until they get old and weathered, then they need new tape.

I will always go with the in-channel from now on. Just my .02.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:29 PM

I have the inchannel ones, 3 out of 4 work excellent, the passenger one though, I have to push it out to be able to roll up the window

Kevin
Old 02-05-2007, 08:46 PM

get the chrome stick on ones from _STAMPEDE_
Old 02-05-2007, 10:20 PM

I installed the in channel's on my truck, and every time I opened and closed the windows they would have a "thump" sound, and then 1 cracked.
Took them off after 1 week and through them in the trash.
Installed "Lund" outside mounting and love em.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:48 PM

Yeah seems like stick on ones are the way to go. I already have a set just wanted to see if I should return them for the in-channel ones.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:44 AM

When I first got my 05, I got the outside stick ons and had trouble with the right side coming off by the mirror.
Changed to inchannel and havent had any probs since.
Hardest part was getting the old ones off.
Got them from http://www.stylinconcepts.com
Around 60 bucks shipped.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:23 PM

I've had the in-channel shades on my 03 for over 3 years. I wouldn't have either kind if I were to do it again. I don't like sticking things to the paint and worrying about when it's going to come unstuck and rub the paint all over due to the wind. The satisfaction with the in-channel shades are completely dependent on how good they fit, because the sticky strips that are supposed to adhere to the inside of the channel don't last longer than the first day. On the fronts, I had to trim about 1/8" off the bottom where they rest on the window lip near the mirror. I trimmed just a little too much on one side and now it rattles and once in a while gets in the way when you put the window up. Luckily the rear shades fit good out of the box, because they don't have anything to rest on like the front ones do and I already mentioned how good the adhesive is.

Another point is the reduced vision with the shades. I don't know if the stick-on shades block this much view, but the in-channel shades make the A-pillar look about 2" wider and they are too dark to see through. It's already very bulky and when I'm turning it's a real challenge to see where you're going. Almost hit a pedestrian one time when I was turning......NOT GOOD. I noticed a MAJOR improvement in my ability to see things to the sides when the driver side shade was off for a while when I took the mirror off. Now that I think about it, I think I'll go home and take all of them off.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:30 PM

I had the stick on ones for 12 years on my old truck, at about year 10 one side was loose, a little silicone later and life was good.

Stick-on will be the way I go.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
I have the inchannel ones, 3 out of 4 work excellent, the passenger one though, I have to push it out to be able to roll up the window

Kevin
I have the in channel ones also. Right now they are boxed up and in the basement. Everytime I open the window they want to fall down in the top at the back. I had them on 2 GMC's and never had an issue. They aren't to swift on the Dodge. I think it is the truck design.

Roy
Old 02-06-2007, 06:56 PM

ID2500 is right, they do deffinately add to the blind spot of the pillar...
Old 02-07-2007, 09:14 AM

I installed the stick on ones I already have and I can say while yes they do add a larger blind spot mine arent THAT dark that I cant see through them and also they arent nearly as bad as the ones on my 2nd gen and for that matter the pillar itself isnt as wide of a blind spot with the combination rain gaurd, pillar, then gauge pod there seemed to be almost a foot worth of area I couldnt see through! Could EASILY miss a car if you werent paying attention since they disappeared behind it all.

Quick Reply: Window Shades