3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Why Can't Dodge Build A Nice Interior?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also wish they had a dark charcoal interior or black. They used to offer it, why would they stop?? My only complaint with mine is the cheesy plastic door panels.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:45 PM

I like my interior allot, especially the full centre consoul...the only thing I've found lacking is a place to mount radio's (VHF & CB) which are inside the lower consoul at the moment, PITA to get at to change freq's...I think it's going to take some custom modification to make the radios work, maybe cut a hole in front of the cup holders and add a cooling fan...

Old 02-08-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
Must just be you and I?

Sure beats the interior of my 2001.
everyone always hates the dodge interior and I just dont understand why. Look at its competitors (ford/chevy)...its just not the same. Chevy finally redesigned their junk after 10 years. My buddies Tahoe looks like the same interior as a 1988 Chevy 1500. We sorta had a debate on a local mustang board and I posted pics...Everyone seems to say Ford has the best interior but I just dont see it on the F250's. Maybe the F150s with captains chairs and junk.

Here the comparison pics:

Ford

Dodge

Chevy

Only think I would do to my truck would be a bit more comfortable seats for long trips. After 600 miles or so its not the MOST comfortable thing. I have driven all 3 makes and dont understand why people hate the dodge interior. All interiors are made of plastic these days.

Oh... heres some good pics about my Ford vs Dodge comparison 1300 miles from DFW Texas to Phoenix. I took the Ford to Phoenix and came back in the dodge. Both my girlfriend and I liked teh dodge over the ford (that and the ford broke down on us so we had to tow it home)

To phoenix

5 flat tires round trip and a LONG trip home:

Old 02-08-2007, 12:12 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good Post and pics 8MPG. Very detailed.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:49 PM

I think your right about the other HD trucks, but check out the new SuperDuty's interior. I think Dodge is on the right track with the offering both the console and the center seat, but they need a higher console that really seperates the driver from the navigator/passenger.

Make that space useable with a tool box in that area mounted on the drivers side of the console, one that only the driver can get to with a locking mechanism...Somewhere to put a towstrap, flashlight, chains, whatever. And make it carpet more than the typical cheap plastic.

I don't really care about the console vs column shifter, but make it available. One more thing I would love, put one of those drink coolers in the center console like the Caliber has in the glove box, after all, a lot of us are hauling loooooong distances in these trucks.

Honestly, these $50K trucks should not have tupperware interiors anymore... Dodge should step up and lead this one.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:58 PM

I think a lot of it has to due with the grade of plastic..if there is such a thing!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Need95-00CTD
... but they need a higher console that really seperates the driver from the navigator/passenger....

Make that space useable with a tool box in that area mounted on the drivers side of the console, one that only the driver can get to with a locking mechanism...Somewhere to put a towstrap, flashlight, chains, whatever. And make it carpet more than the typical cheap plastic....

....should not have tupperware interiors anymore... Dodge should step up and lead this one.

Really, you should go look at the new console, the top section is great for cd's, gloves, toques and cel phones, it even has a 12v outlet inside. The lower section is huge, more than ehough room for any other junk you'll need, but I agree it is lacking a locking mech. IMHO it is far superior to any of the other trucks I've owned/used or ridden in, far from tupperware.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:12 AM

I was refering to the cheap plastics used in the console, dash, and door panels. I've seen the new consoles, and they are nice, but they really don't scream functionality to me. I'd like something I can store tools in, inside the cab, that I can get to in a hurry if need be, like a glove box (old size glove box) hatch on the side of the console, not the top, and it has to have a lock on it.

The only other thing I don't like about the new interiors is how many nooks and crannies the plastics have. Wish it was smoothed out a bit to keep from having to dust it 3x a week to keep the woman happy.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:31 AM

I definitely wish that an black or charcoal interior was offered and a TRUE black interior; not one that still has a light interior from the pillars up. I agree with what people have said on here for the most part but would like to add this for people to mull over.

I think what makes Dodges nice (among many other things like the CTD) is the fact you can spec them out the way you want/need. For example, the trim levels allow you to buy an ST for work, and SLT for mixed use, or a Laramie if you want all the bells and whistles. I don't see a problem with either having a higher trim level or keeping the Laramie and adding maybe an "S" trim level to the grouping and sliding all the others down by one (e.g., ST becomes S, SLT becomes ST, Laramie becomes SLT). This would enable DC to make the Laramie truly high end with appointments. Think about it; there is a very large market for people who want to have a truck with good towing capacity and a great engine, but also want the luxury of an SUV. Think about how great the megacabs are selling. People can have SUV room and still tow a ton of weight. The whole reason I was able to come back to Dodge was because they finally made a bigger cab. I don't use my truck for "work" per se, but instead it is my daily driver, winter vehicle, and Diesel's limo!

I see nothing wrong with offering some MB luxury as an optional package because I think there are a lot of people out there who would buy it. If I am thinking to myself, I want an Escalade or Navigator because of the luxury, but I need to be able to tow my boat, or my nice car, or whatever, the Mega is really your only choice, but if the Mega's had interiors like Escalades, they would start to bite into the SUV market big time (IMHO).

I would also be willing to wager that if you are able to get into a $55,000 truck, getting into a $60,000 truck that has a better interior would not be that much of a stretch. If it is, then you should not have been looking at the $55,000 truck in the first place ...

My ideal situation would be to have a two-tone Black and Charcoal interior where the Charcoal seats have Black Suede inserts, the dash is Black leather, with accent pieces (currently that ugly wood) as either Carbon Fibre or piano black gloss trim, and an Alcantara Black Suede Headliner. The plastic would also be black as well as the nice carpets. Come on DC, make it happen!!!!
Old 02-09-2007, 08:39 AM

I like my Dodge's interior.I think FORD and Chevy are too"car like".If I had wanted a car like interior I'd have bought a car.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by mattk50
I like my Dodge's interior.I think FORD and Chevy are too"car like".If I had wanted a car like interior I'd have bought a car.
See, (not picking on you personally) that is a very bad argument, but yet it seems to be the most common. To say that wanting a car interior would make you buy a car is silly because you obviously needed a truck; and cars don't do what trucks do. So if you need a truck, but want a car interior, you certainly cannot buy a car; you are out of luck as of right now and that is the point I think this thread is trying to address.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Need95-00CTD
I think your right about the other HD trucks, but check out the new SuperDuty's interior. I think Dodge is on the right track with the offering both the console and the center seat, but they need a higher console that really seperates the driver from the navigator/passenger.

Make that space useable with a tool box in that area mounted on the drivers side of the console, one that only the driver can get to with a locking mechanism...Somewhere to put a towstrap, flashlight, chains, whatever. And make it carpet more than the typical cheap plastic.

I don't really care about the console vs column shifter, but make it available. One more thing I would love, put one of those drink coolers in the center console like the Caliber has in the glove box, after all, a lot of us are hauling loooooong distances in these trucks.

Honestly, these $50K trucks should not have tupperware interiors anymore... Dodge should step up and lead this one.
a high center console would defeat the purpose of a bench seat in the front.

Though a more functionable space sounds nice, I think i would rather be able to fit 6 people in my truck. Flashlight fits in the door panel and my tow straps fit under the backseat. A mini cooler does sound great to me though

As for the plastic comment...what would you recommend? Its durable, repels water. Do you want leather wrapped or vinyl wrapped? Its a truck..not a Lexus. Also, the more configurations they offer the more expensive production will be. Dodge kicks Ford and Chevy in the butt with a DURABLE, inexpensive diesel heavy duty truck. If you start adding more options and what not, production prices are going to go up.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:35 AM

A cooler/heater would definitely be a GREAT option for the center console. It is practical for both the work truck and the travel truck. I also think that COOLED seats should be available along with the heated. I have been in many cars that have them and they are WONDERFUL!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
A cooler/heater would definitely be a GREAT option for the center console. It is practical for both the work truck and the travel truck. I also think that COOLED seats should be available along with the heated. I have been in many cars that have them and they are WONDERFUL!
I have a SLT so I dont need heated or cooled seats
Old 02-09-2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 8mpg
I have a SLT so I dont need heated or cooled seats
Touché!!!!!

Quick Reply: Why Can't Dodge Build A Nice Interior?