3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

what tires did u replace ur stocks with??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 08:47 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up Toyo AT's

I replaced my stock tires w/285-70-17's AT's load range "E" Quiet and strong with minimal weight to balance. $189.00@ Express Tire. Wish they offered an AT in 295's
Old 01-21-2007, 10:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I fit these on my '05 with 2" front leveling spacers:

Old 02-15-2007, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Fruitman is back Baby!!

First let me say "sorry for being away from the board so long". I run through my moods and phases and recently, because I do it at work, surfing wasn't one of em'. Work was just piling up and that's not a good thing here. But I'm here to participate again. To learn something, and maybe even share some of my own limited knowledge base.

New Tires, whew, who'dever (that's redneck slang fer you city slickers) thought that a topic like this could be so on-going and relentless. Actually, I think it's a conspiracy between the auto manuf's and the tire manuf's, and to take that a step further, I'm wondering if they aint the same dude behind the curtain!!

I've finally followed up (see below) on my own "New Tire" experience, and wouldn't ya all know it, after the many hours we've all shared here I actually went with something that wasn't on any of my original lists. I know, I know, I'm scum. So many of you took the time to educate me, and try to help me make the best decision for my needs. Taking into account all of my personal quirks, wants and even my special situation
with the steep, turning driveways.

To all of you I say "Thank You!". You all have helped me get to where I am today, which is at the top of those God Darned snow covered driveways!!!

Ok, enough of this bonding puke mush, on with my brief review of what I feel are the best tires I could have spent my hard earned green backs on.

Pro Comp's Extreme All Terrains.
I paid just over 1100.00 including mounting and balancing, for 4.

So what do I think? I like them a lot. The tread is spaced far enough and it's deep enough to keep them from loading up with snow like my BFG's did. I went with 315's x 12.5" R 17. They are a 70 series tire so they don't look funny with the 17" stock ThunderRoad rims. They look perfect on the truck, not too big, not small, not too wide. On a scale of 1-10 I’d say they are a 8-9, nothing is a 10.

Stability:
They ride smooth and only make a muffled growl in the sharp turns at higher speeds when you can hear the side tread gripping. But different road surfaces/materials play an important roll in that too. Recently I tested their ability to hug the road at high speeds. I'd say 65+ through back to back S-curves with a posted limit of 40 in a 8k lb truck is pretty good. Sufficient for me. And surprisingly enough, the same turns wet are do-able at 45-50 hehehe. Speaking of speeds. I read some bad things initially about Pro Comp in relation to High Speeds and mine passed here too. I held it at 85-90 for at least 4 miles one night on the way home. "But Dear, I have to check the balance". hahaha No, they sure as heck don't feel like formula one tires, but No, they sure as heck don't feel like 35" tall off road tires either. I mean, c'mon, 90, and stable enough to feel safe, for 4+ miles. I mean stunts like that are usually what prompt nerds to shake their heads in disgust. When they look in the rear view it's like a demon video game come to life to them. Be nice to them.

Traction:
Ok, I was smart (fortunate $$$) enough to buy them in time, so they've seen one not so bad snow fall, and one serious ice and snow storm this past weekend. I'd say that these "All Terrains" are worthy. I have steep driveways, very steep. And there is no slipping in an inch or less without four wheel drive. In snow over an inch I still need four wheel drive (but that's to be expected). But there was still no slippage. None. I kept the pedal to a minimum and crept right up there. I am pleased. Dry traction is excellent too. They will break loose when asked to do so ( I mean, it is a Cummins, what could hold it back). But overall, short of doin' a 180 out or flipping it, I think they will be just fine too for you speed junkies out there. Wet traction is very good too. I used to hydroplane very bad in the stock Rugged Trail 265's like crazy! Not any more. And yes, I'd say I've tested them on darn near the exact same conditions. I'm **** like that. Yes it is a curse but it's my curse not yours. Now, for all your dirt merchants out there, I'm sorry, I'm still the Poser you remember so not much has changed there. Although, I ran over some dirt that spilled out of the back of a landscape truck (does that count?). Oh, and I did have to pull a three point turn in-between two new sidewalks with tall (about 10" high) curbs. Didn't want to wait for the 8:45 CSX so I cut to the left, slowly pulled up and nosed the curb. Goosed it, and it walked right up till the other front tire nosed, another goose and I was up on the sidewalk. Did the same thing in reverse and I was outta there. I run the maximum pressure too, 50 lbs. But only because I want the minimum rolling resistance.

Tread Life:
The wear is minimal! I've got close to 6k on them and I cant tell. I wish I would have depth-gauged them when I got them home so I could track the wear better but oh well. I have rotated them once already, and I intend to do so every 3k-5k miles. No wobble, No Thumping (it has been as low as 9 deg and on avg has been under 20 deg every day) when I leave for work. No problems there. I will check the depth on the next rotation and post that for you guys.

To sum it all up:
I get plenty of stares, and have been asked twice by guys with stockers what they were. I have friends that wheel for real and they say they look capable, but most importantly, we all agree they look like they belong on this truck. It's hard to believe they rub but they do. Only a little on the link arms, both sides. But that's ok, I don't turn sharp too much so it's not a problem for me. Wheelin' might be a problem, but probably not as much as just having 23 feet of truck at a place designed for say a regular cab short bed version.

Would I buy them again? Sure, if the price was right (the same), but I'm always open to new things. Unfortunately, I'm not made of money so I have to rely on gut instinct most of the time. Oh, and of course, great forums like DTR. I still think the Toyo's or Mickey Thompson Mud Terrains would be as good. But at the time, the Pro Comps were cheaper and sometimes that's all it boils down to. Oh, put Fender Flares and/or Mud Flaps on your shopping list with these or anything like them in this size. Man do they cause a mess when it’s wet out!! I plan on adding Pocket Flares and somehow incorporating real trucker style mud flaps into the mix. Not sure how yet but I’ll finger it out.

The Fruitman
Old 02-15-2007, 04:30 PM

Anyone know if a 2005 F250 has the same lug pattern as an 06 Ram 2500?
Old 02-15-2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitman
The Fruitman is back Baby!!

First let me say "sorry for being away from the board so long". I run through my moods and phases and recently, because I do it at work, surfing wasn't one of em'. Work was just piling up and that's not a good thing here. But I'm here to participate again. To learn something, and maybe even share some of my own limited knowledge base.

New Tires, whew, who'dever (that's redneck slang fer you city slickers) thought that a topic like this could be so on-going and relentless. Actually, I think it's a conspiracy between the auto manuf's and the tire manuf's, and to take that a step further, I'm wondering if they aint the same dude behind the curtain!!

I've finally followed up (see below) on my own "New Tire" experience, and wouldn't ya all know it, after the many hours we've all shared here I actually went with something that wasn't on any of my original lists. I know, I know, I'm scum. So many of you took the time to educate me, and try to help me make the best decision for my needs. Taking into account all of my personal quirks, wants and even my special situation
with the steep, turning driveways.

To all of you I say "Thank You!". You all have helped me get to where I am today, which is at the top of those God Darned snow covered driveways!!!

Ok, enough of this bonding puke mush, on with my brief review of what I feel are the best tires I could have spent my hard earned green backs on.

Pro Comp's Extreme All Terrains.
I paid just over 1100.00 including mounting and balancing, for 4.

So what do I think? I like them a lot. The tread is spaced far enough and it's deep enough to keep them from loading up with snow like my BFG's did. I went with 315's x 12.5" R 17. They are a 70 series tire so they don't look funny with the 17" stock ThunderRoad rims. They look perfect on the truck, not too big, not small, not too wide. On a scale of 1-10 I’d say they are a 8-9, nothing is a 10.

Stability:
They ride smooth and only make a muffled growl in the sharp turns at higher speeds when you can hear the side tread gripping. But different road surfaces/materials play an important roll in that too. Recently I tested their ability to hug the road at high speeds. I'd say 65+ through back to back S-curves with a posted limit of 40 in a 8k lb truck is pretty good. Sufficient for me. And surprisingly enough, the same turns wet are do-able at 45-50 hehehe. Speaking of speeds. I read some bad things initially about Pro Comp in relation to High Speeds and mine passed here too. I held it at 85-90 for at least 4 miles one night on the way home. "But Dear, I have to check the balance". hahaha No, they sure as heck don't feel like formula one tires, but No, they sure as heck don't feel like 35" tall off road tires either. I mean, c'mon, 90, and stable enough to feel safe, for 4+ miles. I mean stunts like that are usually what prompt nerds to shake their heads in disgust. When they look in the rear view it's like a demon video game come to life to them. Be nice to them.

Traction:
Ok, I was smart (fortunate $$$) enough to buy them in time, so they've seen one not so bad snow fall, and one serious ice and snow storm this past weekend. I'd say that these "All Terrains" are worthy. I have steep driveways, very steep. And there is no slipping in an inch or less without four wheel drive. In snow over an inch I still need four wheel drive (but that's to be expected). But there was still no slippage. None. I kept the pedal to a minimum and crept right up there. I am pleased. Dry traction is excellent too. They will break loose when asked to do so ( I mean, it is a Cummins, what could hold it back). But overall, short of doin' a 180 out or flipping it, I think they will be just fine too for you speed junkies out there. Wet traction is very good too. I used to hydroplane very bad in the stock Rugged Trail 265's like crazy! Not any more. And yes, I'd say I've tested them on darn near the exact same conditions. I'm **** like that. Yes it is a curse but it's my curse not yours. Now, for all your dirt merchants out there, I'm sorry, I'm still the Poser you remember so not much has changed there. Although, I ran over some dirt that spilled out of the back of a landscape truck (does that count?). Oh, and I did have to pull a three point turn in-between two new sidewalks with tall (about 10" high) curbs. Didn't want to wait for the 8:45 CSX so I cut to the left, slowly pulled up and nosed the curb. Goosed it, and it walked right up till the other front tire nosed, another goose and I was up on the sidewalk. Did the same thing in reverse and I was outta there. I run the maximum pressure too, 50 lbs. But only because I want the minimum rolling resistance.

Tread Life:
The wear is minimal! I've got close to 6k on them and I cant tell. I wish I would have depth-gauged them when I got them home so I could track the wear better but oh well. I have rotated them once already, and I intend to do so every 3k-5k miles. No wobble, No Thumping (it has been as low as 9 deg and on avg has been under 20 deg every day) when I leave for work. No problems there. I will check the depth on the next rotation and post that for you guys.

To sum it all up:
I get plenty of stares, and have been asked twice by guys with stockers what they were. I have friends that wheel for real and they say they look capable, but most importantly, we all agree they look like they belong on this truck. It's hard to believe they rub but they do. Only a little on the link arms, both sides. But that's ok, I don't turn sharp too much so it's not a problem for me. Wheelin' might be a problem, but probably not as much as just having 23 feet of truck at a place designed for say a regular cab short bed version.

Would I buy them again? Sure, if the price was right (the same), but I'm always open to new things. Unfortunately, I'm not made of money so I have to rely on gut instinct most of the time. Oh, and of course, great forums like DTR. I still think the Toyo's or Mickey Thompson Mud Terrains would be as good. But at the time, the Pro Comps were cheaper and sometimes that's all it boils down to. Oh, put Fender Flares and/or Mud Flaps on your shopping list with these or anything like them in this size. Man do they cause a mess when it’s wet out!! I plan on adding Pocket Flares and somehow incorporating real trucker style mud flaps into the mix. Not sure how yet but I’ll finger it out.

The Fruitman
Glad to see you're back, but couldn't you have at LEAST been a little more thorough in your write-up!?!? I mean, this site IS supposed to HELP people make decisions!
Old 02-15-2007, 04:35 PM

Replaced my stockers with 325/70/17 Toyo Open Country ATs...

Stock height till tomorrow, im putting the lift on in the morning...

Old 02-15-2007, 04:37 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Hey, I'm like an onion, with many many layers.
You should have seen it before I re-wrote it for the tenth time. This is the super condensed version.

Of course, not to step on any toes but did we have to paste it in it's entirety as a quote into our follow up post D.Wiggs??????

The Fruitman
Old 02-15-2007, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by txfiremedic
Anyone know if a 2005 F250 has the same lug pattern as an 06 Ram 2500?
Nope, not the same. The Chevy's are the same, however.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitman
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Hey, I'm like an onion, with many many layers.
You should have seen it before I re-wrote it for the tenth time. This is the super condensed version.

Of course, not to step on any toes but did we have to paste it in it's entirety as a quote into our follow up post D.Wiggs??????

The Fruitman
It would have lost it's affect any other way!!! I didn't think that quoting such a small "condensed" post would present a problem!
Old 02-15-2007, 04:57 PM

Good one D. Wiggs!
I like a person with a good sense of humor. We need more of you in the world.

Oh, and here are a couple photo's to help out those poor souls tryin' to decide. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. In this case this is only half my post.

Sweet aint she?

Fruitman
Attached Thumbnails what tires did u replace ur stocks with??-purty.jpg   what tires did u replace ur stocks with??-side-view.jpg   what tires did u replace ur stocks with??-top-view.jpg