3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

what tires did u replace ur stocks with??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well guys, i decided to just got with a 285/70/17 for now, i ordered some BFG AT's from Onlinetires.com they were $174 each, shipping and all was $812...thats cheaper then anywhere around here, so i went ahead and done it
Old 09-18-2006, 04:10 PM

Well, I doubt very much you'll be unhappy, I just hope the snow where you are is different than the snow where I am. That was my only problem with them. But I must be fair, perhaps the weight difference of a 3/4 ton vs a 1/2 ton will be enough to offset the loading up and ultimately, the slipping I experienced with mine. Now again, my friend, he has them, and swears he has no problems, and he has to go to work when it snows, and lives only 3 miles from me (I would think our snow is the same ).
Old 09-18-2006, 04:25 PM

Forcefed88 said
My friend had PJ Dirt Grips on a F350 for almost 50K.
Dude, I called a guy last week that sounded so sincere, and he told me that I could expect way under 30k with the trXus and PJ's!! Now, maybe he had some alterior motives for not wanting to sell me the more expensive of my five choices, but I could not see why. I like the Toyo Open Country MT but I think it's extra wide footprint will do more harm than good. More rolling resistance and greater floatation on snow would be my guess. Two things I want to avoid.

Ok, so you say your friend got almost 50k huh, well, then that makes him and about one or two other guys lucky then. I wonder if the Ford rides different enough to mean anything???? You have to admit, when you look at that picture I posted farther up in the thread, that is a go anywhere looking tire. It's just so much more expensive than the rest of my choices, and I hate to sound cheap but the difference could be the fender flares, or a new intake or......

The whole thing makes me crazy. And if I wasnt such a sap, wasting good money on snow tires for the car that didn't perform as described and still feeling that sting, I'd just go with my gut instinct and get the PJ's. I even sent a e-mail request to the website for more information and haven't heard anything back yet. Maybe I could just add a lot of coarse gravel to some asphalt and recoat my driveways and be done with it. Buy whatever and be happy.

The Fruitman
Old 09-18-2006, 06:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fruitman
XLR8R - Hey, he runs 315's on Hummer wheels. 315/70R17 to be exact.
Sorry for the delayed reply. I've read other posts here and on another forum I'm a member where guys run 35x12.5R17 (315's) all the time with little or no lift, or spacers. Of course some guys do report rubbing, on the control arms. I ran those 285's on that 1/2 ton for 10 years, and they rubbed. Never did any damage to either the tires or the truck.

I initially wanted to upgrade to 37's, just because I think that tire is the perfect size for the 3/4 ton quad cab with an 8' bed, but now I've changed my mind for a couple reasons. Not the cost of the tire for sure though, the difference is only 10 bucks in some cases. But with 37's I will have to lift it. $$$ and then too like Stock03 said, there has to be more strain on the components, but again, depending on the tire you chose, it could be minimal or not at all. Some of the tires I'm looking at weigh twice as much as the stockers. That can't be good. There's a big weight difference in a D range tire compared to a E range tire. Actually, if you plan on lifting the truck, my suggestion, and if I could afford the entire switch, would be 37's on 20" rims with a at least a true 4" lift. I've seen 40's on 22" rims with a 6" lift and no leveling device, so the truck still had the nose down look, and man was it hot looking! But you gottta pay to play like that. Tires, rim, lift, fender flares, shocks, all that could add to like 5k real quick. If I get some 35's on there I could forgo the lift, and later (cringe) just add spacers. I could avoid all puddles and forgo the fender flares (ha, that's a joke), and I intend on using my stock rims till I can afford the AR Victors I saw recently and now must have.

Of course all of this is my .02 worth.
Fruity
I plan on buying some 37R12.5-17 BFGs next, unless I find some Toyos I like better... I'll find a way to make 'em fit!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:06 PM

Question Tires?

I'm in the market for new tires, and I much rather buy a new truck then shop for tires. I've tried just about every kind AT's through MT's and no matter what at around 30K they are gone. I hate guys on here that get 40k-50k on a set, I would like to know if they drive like old ladies or run down hill alot? . I would be happy with 35k... I think because I'm runing 35's tire wear is greater due to more heat, blancing issues, alignment and lifted supensions etc.? I'm going to try Dick Cepek FC 11's or Mickey Thompson ATZ's next just because I've haven't tried either of them yet. These "friken" tires costs so much now, and with the price of fuel, sets a working man way back. Anyone with experience with either of the tires above, feed back would be appreciated.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:10 PM

Mine don't make it past 30K either, but I always figured it was from the weight (10k# normal) and heavy use they get.

I spend $1K per year, per truck for tires, which hurts, but is still lots cheaper than getting stuck or blowing out!
Old 09-19-2006, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitman
Forcefed88 said

Dude, I called a guy last week that sounded so sincere, and he told me that I could expect way under 30k with the trXus and PJ's!! Now, maybe he had some alterior motives for not wanting to sell me the more expensive of my five choices, but I could not see why.

The Fruitman
This is a great thread - been looking at 315/70/17 because I have the G56 & 200RPM would put me down to 2300 @ 80mph which.. would be better mileage and less buzz than 2500. More, I want to know more!

Been thinking Kore Performance leveling kit, BFG or Toyo 315/70/17 (I only tow 6-7k max though and we're basically typical weekend warriors so it's mainly a daily driver).

The bigger tires are aesthetically pleasing to me as well. Thinking of going to different wheels too because I got the clad wheels & while they're perfectly fine I just want a solid wheel (dammit).

Finally, reason I quoted the Fruitman.. sometimes the most expensive item isn't the most profitable. We get bonus discounts all of the time (different industry but the tires are still rubber from major manufacturers) and markup isn't necessarily consistent. They might make $20 more on a $130 tire than a $200 tire.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:46 AM

If you like this thread, here's another:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=110727

Some of us are there too.

OK, just got off the phone with my guy that's local. Funny, his prices are not far off the internet prices I'm finding, except for the TrXus, and Toyo's (local price). Add the cost of taking them somewhere to have them Mnt'd / Blnc'd and he's worth the peace of mind of not going "mail-order".

Now, what he did tell me was that the Toyo's are almost impossible to get, they only have 3 tires somewhere and I'd have to order the 4th off line. Crazy?????
He also said the PJ's would be a couple weeks too for delivery. Oh BTW, his price on the PJ's w/M&B was 260.00!!!!! That's only 30 more a tire compared to his price on the MTZ's that are on my list. And they are almost night and day in both looks and construction. Also, he couldn't give me a price on the Mud Country's because he said they were too new. Anyway.......

Of course none of this helps me one bit in picking a winner. I do know the list is being narrowed down though.

And if anyone wants, I can send them a word document that I prepared with my five choices, and their specs. Nothing special, but it makes it easier to see the specs side by side.

The Fruitman
Old 09-19-2006, 01:13 PM

Maybe you could post your findings for us?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cooper Discoverer ATR 315/70/R17 mounted on stock forged aluminum rims. Have over 15,000 on them and hardly showing any wear. Got em from my local tire dealer for 195.00 each mounted and balanced. 60.00 for a wheel alignment is a must as well when getting new tires or you wont get the miles out of them. And rotation! Too many people dont rotate tires as they should. The bigger the tire the more often it should be done. My guy said every 5000 but I do it every oil change (around 6000). The Discoverers are very good on the road and in the rain. Lots of sypes and a straight-tread design give great traction. These things are awesome in the snow. The straight pattern makes them quiet too. Mine don't make a sound. Should have seen me draggin a F**d backwards thru the snow because he was stuck with his BFG AT's. He stoped cuz he thought he was out and I didn't know it and just kept draggin him. These are great all-around tires and I am extremely happy with them!!
Old 11-29-2006, 02:50 PM

Well, gents, I did it, I bit the bullet, finally!

I ordered the Pro Comp Extreme All Terrains, 35" x 12.5" R17.
$1,063. Out the door, locally.

Should have them installed this Friday, if I can take off.
Should have pics for ya'll on Monday.

I want to thank all of you that helped me make the decision.
I'm not cheap, but I hate spending money for something unless
it's really really worth it. I think I'm getting a great tire at a
great price. I hope it can live up to my demands and expectations.

The Fruitman
Old 11-29-2006, 05:35 PM

anyone have problems with the goodrich tires side wall peeling? it looks like someone took a knife and cut hundreds of little "c " in the side wall just deep enough to go to the white layer? i bought this truck used and will need tires in spring.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:49 PM

A friend of mine described similar experiences with a set he used to have. Said it never amounted to much, so he didn't worry about it. He lives in NM,
and uses his rig to transport a max load of passengers/hang gliding gear up serious fire breaks. And the climate where he lives (@ 5500 feet) varies.

My 0.02 worth.

Fruitman
Old 11-29-2006, 09:59 PM

Who has logged the most miles on he 285 Coopers? Are you mostly empty, in town, highway?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Toyo Open Country MT's are awsome. I have some 315 75 16's on my 92... Does anyone know what the biggest tire i can fit on a dually are?( I just ordered an 07)

Quick Reply: what tires did u replace ur stocks with??