3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Warning 2006 Dodge Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like the perfect solution---where did you get the hardware for this setup ?
Mine is going in tommorrow for the flash, going down tommorrow to pick up my new 53' closed cargo trailer i had built. Called and had them do the entire trailer with LED's hopeing that will help.
i have a 12v-110 inverter i wanted to hook into the 12v interior lighting circuit that is fed from the truck but am a little gun shy of trying it with this problem. Any idea how much use you can get out of one of these inverters before it drains the battery down ?
also have noticed lots of static thru my radio when my cell phone is parked anywhere close to it. Never had problem with it with my 01's or the 03
Old 12-14-2006, 09:56 PM

I got the pigtail wire and 7-pin connector from a local RV dealer. The blade fuse blocks, there are 2 of them that dovetail together came from AutoZone. I think I got the 7-pin/4-pin female connector at Advance Auto, it's Hoppy anyway. The box was hard to find I got it at a specialty electrical store, it is 4x4x6 and is the best thing I could find. It is hinged, weather tight and 1 screw closure, oh yeah and metal. I only wanted to build it once so I spent some time and found parts that I thought would last. That box was around $25, when all was said and done I had a little over $70 in it. I don't know if the flash works or not, but I'm not taking any chances. I must have been one of the first to have this problem and they did replace my TIPM. Here are a couple of more pictures of the box with more detail. Hope they help.
Name:  Picture005.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  52.0 KB
Name:  DSC02552.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  48.4 KB
Old 12-26-2006, 11:39 AM

Seems like a inline fuse for the truck harness trailer lights would just pass current up to the inline fuse(s) effective rating. Seems it would still pop the one at the PCM if thats the weak link. In other words no change. The inline fuse would not limit the actual current or amps being drawn on the circuit overall. Pehaps a diode or diode array placed inline would limit any voltage spikes. Just a thought! I plug my trailer and camper with the lights off, I also have blown fuses at the trucks fuse box. Although mine is a 05 CMD. I'm probably setting myself up for a good flamming as this is my first post and my first Dodge. Still love the truck!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:06 PM

has dc done anything to fix this problem if so i bought my o6 megacab in dec. 06 will i have problems with towing my 26' toy hauler
Old 01-10-2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by 75bronco
has dc done anything to fix this problem if so i bought my o6 megacab in dec. 06 will i have problems with towing my 26' toy hauler
You shouldn't have a problem. I haven't had a problem with my 28' travel trailer.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:12 AM

i just got off the phone with dc. the problem started in the 05 models. it was fixted for the 06,s
Old 01-11-2007, 11:30 AM

i just got off the phone with dc. the problem started in the 05 models. it was fixted for the 06,s
I think they are confused. The problem started in '06 with the computer controlled fuse box thingy (I forget what it's called). Like I said, I haven't had a problem with my coach and it has the typical coach lights (several amber marker lights on the front, side and rear and the usual red tail lights). I'd play with what you have, and if you run into problems have the dealer do the reprogram to allow more amps through the computer fuse box thingy (or whatever they call it).
Old 01-11-2007, 03:01 PM

the problem started in 05. the 06 model has the same box and set up but has been reprogrammed. some of the earlier 06 models i guess could have the problem
Old 01-11-2007, 03:09 PM

the problem started in 05. the 06 model has the same box and set up but has been reprogrammed. some of the earlier 06 models i guess could have the problem
Okay, I didn't realise the '05s had the same setup as the '06. But I can tell you the majority of '06s have not been reprogrammed.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:38 PM

I just checked around again. The change was made with the '06 model years. The '05 does not have the same problem with the TIPM that the '06 does. Apparently there is a TSB upping the max. amperage of the TIPM from 15A to 17.5A. But the '05 model does not have this problem.

There's good information with wiring diagrams in this thread:

http://dodgetrucks.org/forums/viewto...railer+voltage
Old 01-11-2007, 04:11 PM

pauly, have you had trouble yet. i asked my dealer to do the flash update and he said no problem. he also stated that he has done alot of these in the past but it seems that dc has fixed it to his knowledge. all i can do is hope i guess
Old 01-11-2007, 04:16 PM

pauly, have you had trouble yet. i asked my dealer to do the flash update and he said no problem. he also stated that he has done alot of these in the past but it seems that dc has fixed it to his knowledge. all i can do is hope i guess
No, no trouble at all. I have a 28' travel trailer and camp pretty frequently. I have had my truck since March (I think), 2006 and it's never been to the dealer. Last time out I never even unhooked.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:32 PM

Somebody might have already found these and posted about them, but, today I picked up a Tow Ready ( Draw- Tite, Hidden Hitch, Reese) #20111 5th Wheel/ Gooseneck 7- Way Tow Harness Extention for my '06. It is a harness with adapter plugs to plug into the truck harness and socket at your 7-wire plug on your bumper. It has a 7' lead and a socket for your bed. $62 and change at Pasadena Trailer and Truck. They also have a harness, different brand, at Trailer Wheel and Frame but they want $75. This harness does not have fuses in it but it will save you from having to splice into your truck wiring. I would have liked to find the square connectors on the back of the bumper plug for $8 or so, oh well!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:55 PM

Get the reflash to up the amperage. if you have an 06 and this hasn't been done, and you trailer frequently you need it. been there!
Old 01-13-2007, 09:14 AM

If I am not mistaken, the problem only shows up if the wiring on the trailer bad. I know most only tow their own trailer and is usually not a concern, but for those that tow for a living, many different trailers, a set of fuses would be good. Make sure the lights are off when you plug in also helps.

Quick Reply: Warning 2006 Dodge Wiring