3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Warning 2006 Dodge Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So here is a dumb question. If you gus are going to place fuses inline what wires will require the fuses?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:38 PM

I put one fuse in each of the 2 turn wires (total of 2 fuses) tail lights still have a fuse in the PCM. Not sure about the reverse light but I don't have any of them on the RV.

Originally Posted by tauberson
So here is a dumb question. If you gus are going to place fuses inline what wires will require the fuses?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:17 PM

you by any chance talking about the techs at the kokomo dealer? like at button?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:15 PM

I had the same thing happen to me. Truck lights fine no right side trailer lights. There are two fuses in the fuse block that protect the truck. I replaced my fuse (tyhat was blown) and still was missing one light on the trailer. The right side trailer light wouldn't do anything. Hooked my dad's 03 up and all lights worked fine. Tried another trailer on my truck and no right side again. Called dealer and they said the module was split in half and if you have a bad light on one side it will shut down that half. I took it to the dealer they reflashed it and said now if you if a side shuts down it should reset itself. That was a couple weeks ago no problems yet.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Nav

Not to dishonor our Forum hosts, but this topic has been discussed heavily on the dodgetrucks.org diesel forums a few months ago. DC changed the electronics handling the trailer voltage. If you add additional lights to your trailer, you will trip the integrated circuits and the TPIM module will shut down.
Its just simply a bad move for a company selling a "towing" truck.

Here is the link to those discussions
http://dodgetrucks.org/forums/viewto...railer+voltage

Nav
Old 07-11-2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by dan1912
I had the same thing happen to me. Truck lights fine no right side trailer lights. There are two fuses in the fuse block that protect the truck. I replaced my fuse (tyhat was blown) and still was missing one light on the trailer. The right side trailer light wouldn't do anything. Hooked my dad's 03 up and all lights worked fine. Tried another trailer on my truck and no right side again. Called dealer and they said the module was split in half and if you have a bad light on one side it will shut down that half. I took it to the dealer they reflashed it and said now if you if a side shuts down it should reset itself. That was a couple weeks ago no problems yet.
Is there a TSB covering this? I need to take the truck in for the ABS module recall and the long crank reflash....haven't had a problem with the trailer lights yet, but my car hauler has about 9 running lights as well as the stop & turn.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:24 PM

So to fix the DC screw up I could crawl under the rear bumper and install an inline circut breaker for the elec brakes, fuse for brake lights, turn ,and running ligths and I would protect their screw-up?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:55 AM

i no this thread is old but i was wondering if dc has come up with a fix or if theres a tsb out on it yet? I am going through the same problem right now, purchased a brand new 33' gooseneck that has a total of 19 lights, worked fine for about 200 or so miles and then when all the problems started. I have running lights and electric trailer brakes, no turn signals or brake lights. Hooked up another truck to the trailer and it works fine.. Oh well it sucks taking it in tomorrow hope theyll cover it but you never know..
Old 10-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Note:

Originally Posted by anyfx
Site administrator can you post a warning that won't keep getting cycled down
I'm going to leave this at the top due to it's importance. Sorry we didn't see it earlier. This looks like another "Cost-Cutting" idea that probably got some engineer a big "Atta Boy" and maybe even a raise. This should definitely be a Recall situation. If not,,, a few years down the road will really be the kicker when folks start taking these trucks back to the dealer and getting slapped with huge repair bills.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:45 AM

TSB 08-021-06 is the current fix
Old 10-24-2006, 08:57 AM

Lifted 06, do you know if this a real fix, or is like the tank vent that I had to complete after the dealer fix?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:25 AM

Decide for yourself whether this will correct the problem .I recently had my truck in and this flash was done.
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/08-021-06.htm
Old 10-24-2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lifted06
Decide for yourself whether this will correct the problem .I recently had my truck in and this flash was done.
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/08-021-06.htm
It sounds more like a band-aid than a real, permanent solution. I haven't had any problems with my current travel trailer, but I'm going to be moving into a larger 5th wheel toyhauler soon, so this better work.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:16 AM

i have had no problems, and i tow a 34 foot 5th wheel, with extra clearance lights, and another set of trailer wiring for my quad trailer that i hook up too the back of it.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:27 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tow a 5'er and haven't had any issues as of yet. I will be going to the dealer soon for the new(er) "long crank" fix and high idle enable, should I mention this too? Seems like I would have had it though, I got the other "long crank" update back in late August.

Quick Reply: Warning 2006 Dodge Wiring