Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Trying to work out Keys and FOBs for my 2006. Help, please. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/trying-work-out-keys-fobs-my-2006-help-please-328698/)

Stamey 08-17-2017 05:25 PM

Trying to work out Keys and FOBs for my 2006. Help, please.

I just got this 2006 Mega cab and it only came with one black key with integrated FOB. I need more keys, but need to answer some questions first.
1. Can I get a separate FOB from the key? For my 99, I have a separate FOB and have the key and FOB on either side of a two-part key ring so I can split the ring and lock it with the FOB when I want to leave the truck running someplace. (I carry a spare with me in case the FOB battery dies).

1a. If I can get separate FOB, what FCC ID number should I be looking for? The only one I have now only returns keys with FOBs.

2. Is there a chip in the black keys?

3. Will I need grey keys also?

4. Do the grey keys (no built-in FOB) have a chip in them?

I have been reading through other threads in the forum and it looks like I will need a locksmith or dealer to program any new FOBs since I have only one key at this time.
I suppose the same thing goes for the chipped keys, whichever ones those are.

Please correct any statement that is wrong here.

Where is the best aftermarket place to get keys? I have found some on Amazon but some reviews say the FOB cases are not very durable and fall apart quickly. This is another reason I want a separate FOB, so I'm not putting pressure on the FOB case when turning the key. Yeah, it isn't much pressure, but it mounts up over time.

Thanks,
Chris

BigIron70 08-17-2017 09:04 PM

Dealer has secret key code that is needed to program new KEY FOB be prepared to pay for their service and key fob.

ddbackhoe 08-22-2017 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by BigIron70 (Post 3333041)
Dealer has secret key code that is needed to program new KEY FOB be prepared to pay for their service and key fob.

Look in the owners manual, page 17 (2008) for programming instructions since you have a key.

Stamey 08-22-2017 06:59 PM

I have one key and FOB. I keep reading that I must have two programmed FOBs to program a third FOB. It is looking like I will need to pay a locksmith 120.00 for a FOB key and 60.00 for each regular key.

Chris

johnh 08-23-2017 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Stamey (Post 3333363)
I have one key and FOB. I keep reading that I must have two programmed FOBs to program a third FOB. It is looking like I will need to pay a locksmith 120.00 for a FOB key and 60.00 for each regular key.

Chris

maybe dealer is cheaper?

Danderson 08-23-2017 10:41 PM

Yeah,you need two keys to do it. I made two from E-Bay grey chipped blanks when my truck was new.
You may be at the mercy of the dealer.

Stamey 08-24-2017 05:58 AM

I have read, on here, that the dealer gets over 200 bucks for one key. I have a locksmith coming today. He says he can do it all, one transponder FOB key and two regular transponder keys.
Stay tuned.....

Chris

Stamey 08-24-2017 06:37 PM

Lock smith came and took care of it all. I now have answers.
The FOB keys have a transponder as well as the non-FOB keys. On the FOB keys the circuitry for the lock/unlock actions has the transponder in it. On the non-FOB keys an RFID chip is in the plastic handle of the key.
I cannot get a separate FOB from a key, but I CAN get a flip key and use it in conjunction with a grey key if I want. This way I can leave it running with the grey key and separate the flip key to lock it while running when I walk away.
I also suppose I could cut the key off of a key with FOB attached to accomplish the same thing, if desired.
The lock smith also programmed everything and showed me how to program more myself, if I want to. He made three keys, one with FOB, for 200.

Chris

TJAR66 10-11-2017 11:06 PM

I had to bite the bullet and get the key from the local dealership. It was like 200 bucks. Local locksmith was 20 less but had to order the key. Dodge had it in stock and got me in same day.

Stamey 10-12-2017 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by TJAR66 (Post 3336624)
I had to bite the bullet and get the key from the local dealership. It was like 200 bucks. Local locksmith was 20 less but had to order the key. Dodge had it in stock and got me in same day.

My condolences.

Chris

Bobby Hickson 02-04-2018 12:20 PM

Chris,

In reading your response from the locksmith, it isn't possible to use one of the (for example) 2005 remotes that doesn't have a key sticking out of it, correct? Which flip key is it you speak of that could be used also? I just bought an '06 and basically want to accomplish the same thing you did in this thread.

Cheers,

Bobby

Stamey 02-07-2018 07:22 PM

I have not found that a 2005 remote is compatible, but if you know different, I'm all ears. The only way I know to match them up is by searching the FCC ID number on the back.

Chris

Bobby Hickson 02-07-2018 08:55 PM

I wish I knew different, but I've continued to ask around and research it but all I've heard is that they aren't compatible. Guess it is what it is... Looks like I'll probably buy a duplicate of the built-in key models for the '06 and cut the ket part off so I can rock it in my pocket. Ha

---Bobby

bigbaddog 02-08-2018 06:53 PM

Keys

My 06 had separate key[with chip] and a fob to unlock and lock doors. Ialso made a reg. key[no chip] to get me in the truck and it would also start the truck but you could not take it out of gear[it would shut off]