3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Truck won't turn over with the key

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't turn over with the key

Three weeks ago I replaced the batteries in my truck. I think it is coincidental that now my truck will not crank with the key. But maybe it's not. I have a remote start on the truck and it will start using the remote. This tells me that the solenoid and starter are obviously ok. All the accessories in the cab work, lights radio and such, in both the "acc" and "on" positions. Leading me to believe the crank portion of the switch is at fault. This has just developed in the last week. It did crank just fine for about 15 days or so after the batteries were swapped.

Am I overlooking something or has the switch gone bad? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:07 PM

Make sure that the shift indicator is indicating P or N, mine's a little sloppy and sometimes it won't crank. You may have an issue with the neutral safety switch. You can try holding the key in the crank position and wiggling the gearshift. I prefer doing this in the N position, jusk keep your foot on the service brake.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:15 PM

I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:05 PM

did you find the problem I have the same problem and when i start it with the car starter i have my abs and airbag lights on thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sur5er
Make sure that the shift indicator is indicating P or N, mine's a little sloppy and sometimes it won't crank. You may have an issue with the neutral safety switch. You can try holding the key in the crank position and wiggling the gearshift. I prefer doing this in the N position, jusk keep your foot on the service brake.
the remote start would not work if this was the case. its a protection feature so the truck won't start if not fully in park or neutral to keep it from going into the house after started.

more than likely its the ignition switch dropping voltage
Old 01-12-2011, 04:11 PM

I have try it in park aswell in nuetral I wired a push button to the starter wire for now and it working but i have lights on on my dash
Old 01-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by homegrown
I have try it in park aswell in nuetral I wired a push button to the starter wire for now and it working but i have lights on on my dash
having MIL lights with the push button is because the ignition switch on the hot side activates many circuits. i would venture to stay ignition switch is bad causing a drop of power
Old 01-12-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
the remote start would not work if this was the case. its a protection feature so the truck won't start if not fully in park or neutral to keep it from going into the house after started.

more than likely its the ignition switch dropping voltage
Nice catch! I didn't realize they used the same circuit, but it makes sense. I'm in the ignition switch boat!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Sur5er
Nice catch! I didn't realize they used the same circuit, but it makes sense. I'm in the ignition switch boat!
have seen in before where the ign switch dropps voltage and won't start the truck but we can manually start it by jumping the solenoid wires under the hood to get it into the shop
Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM

cool thanks next qustion how in the h--- do you get the tilt colm lever off so i can replace or even test the swith thanks again
Old 01-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Here is the wiring diag may be of some help to you.

Relay-starter motor (except srt) - 5 way cav circuit function
1 t40 14yl/tn starter solenoid feed
2 t753 18dg/yl ignition switch output (start)
3 - -
4 t750 14yl/gy starter motor control output
5 t41 18yl/db (diesel a/t) trs t41 sense
5 t41 18yl/db (diesel m/t) park/neutral position switch sense
5 t752 18dg/or (gas) starter motor relay control
Old 04-28-2017, 12:14 PM

Fixed?

Originally Posted by Shanajustin
Three weeks ago I replaced the batteries in my truck. I think it is coincidental that now my truck will not crank with the key. But maybe it's not. I have a remote start on the truck and it will start using the remote. This tells me that the solenoid and starter are obviously ok. All the accessories in the cab work, lights radio and such, in both the "acc" and "on" positions. Leading me to believe the crank portion of the switch is at fault. This has just developed in the last week. It did crank just fine for about 15 days or so after the batteries were swapped.

Am I overlooking something or has the switch gone bad? Any help is greatly appreciated.
You ever find the issue. My truck is doing the exact same thing. And I'm sitting in the dark, after replacing the ignition switch. And still won't try to crank. Thanks