3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Track Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Track Bar

The track bar bushings under the front end of my truck are wore out. Nobady has the complete bar execpt the dodge dealer. Question is how hard is it to put new bushings in the old bar. If that isnt such a good idea where is a good place to find a new bar besides Dodge?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The process is pretty simple if you want to replace the bushings.

Geno's has the replacement bushings available. Here is the link.

http://genosgarage.com/LUKES-LINK-RE...NK_BUSHINGKT2/
Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 AM

The toughest part is getting the old bushing out. You can either press it out or cut out the old original one piece OEM bushing by drilling through it several times then saw through it to remove it. A hack saw blade works great for this.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Can I use a ball joint press to help remove the old bushing?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:13 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can try the ball joint tool.....it may work. I used one of our large presses at work to press my old bushings out and they finally started moving at around 8k lbs!!!!

Another way would be to heat the rubber and melt it out.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:20 AM

The ball joint press may work;however, it may be awkward trying to secure the bar so it does not move.

A bench vice would work much better for this. Use two sockets and a vise to press out the bushing. The goal is to find (1) A socket with an outside diameter a little smaller than that of the rubber part of the bushing. (2) A socket with an inside diameter larger than the diameter of the outer metal sleeve of the bushing. This socket will receive the old bushing as you turn the vice handle.

If you don't have a vice available then drill holes through the rubber bushing and push it through. Then use a hacksaw to cut the thin metal sleeve out. Cutting through the sleeve twice should allow the sleeve to fall away from the bar.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Dizzle
The ball joint press may work;however, it may be awkward trying to secure the bar so it does not move.

A bench vice would work much better for this. Use two sockets and a vise to press out the bushing. The goal is to find (1) A socket with an outside diameter a little smaller than that of the rubber part of the bushing. (2) A socket with an inside diameter larger than the diameter of the outer metal sleeve of the bushing. This socket will receive the old bushing as you turn the vice handle.

If you don't have a vice available then drill holes through the rubber bushing and push it through. Then use a hacksaw to cut the thin metal sleeve out. Cutting through the sleeve twice should allow the sleeve to fall away from the bar.
This way worked for me. You can get by with the hacksaw by just cutting part way through the outer bushing sleeve and then using a chisel or punch to roll the edge of the metal in and then drive it out.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
How about an adjustable/easily rebuildable HD unit from Carli or Thuren?