Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Tow mirrors and side steps opinions (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/tow-mirrors-side-steps-opinions-310656/)

Kach 03-04-2013 10:47 PM

Tow mirrors and side steps opinions

I'm looking into getting a set of tow mirrors for my truck. I've been using the kind with rubber straps that I used to use on my Tahoe - obviously they suck with a diesel, but better than nothing. They're about done for with the cracking and whatnot on the straps.

I'm looking at the Kool-vue OEM style tow mirrors. They get pretty good reviews from what I've seen on Amazon etc. Does anyone have them? I'd be getting powered and heated FWIW. Alternatively, (and depending on how funds hold up) I might just have to slap on a pair of the custom-fitted slip on tow mirrors. $50 and done worrying about it for a little while...

also-

Does anyone have any recommendations for some decent side steps? Budget is tight, but with the 295's it would really help with getting the kids in/out.

Thanks for the help!

jhenson 03-04-2013 10:58 PM

Can't help you with the mirror situation but my "free" Westin rail steps are a tremendous help for my much-shorter-than-me family. Hope you get what you're lookin for.

Vots 03-06-2013 05:12 PM

I used a pair of the Cipa slip on mirrors for a couple of trips, they vibrated so much it was hard to tell if there was a car there or not.
I ended getting a pair of the Cipa extendable mirrors, open box, off of fleabay for cheap. Love towing with them, but took a little time to get them adjusted right for dd. Plus whoever bought them put the blind spot mirror in the wrong spot. No wonder they returned them! After fixing that they've been great.
Where do you live Kach? If in Vegas I can help you out with the slip-on pair.

CNeubauer 03-08-2013 06:01 PM

I wouldn't consider them cheap but I put Willmore Nerfboards on my '05 and am really happy with them. I wanted more protection than nerf bars provide but these still have have the sporty look of nerf bars.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...42066939_o.jpg

vangasman 03-08-2013 09:59 PM

Don't waste your time or money with the slip-on mirrors. I bought a set of factory tow mirrors and couldn't be happier.

madmaxer 03-13-2013 11:40 AM

factory aluminum steps

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t/34993/cat/11

john40 03-13-2013 12:04 PM

I have "Nasta" polished stainless steel, (including all stainless hardware) tube type
side steps. They are a bit pricey, but being all stainless they should last forever.
John

Kach 03-13-2013 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by madmaxer (Post 3172744)

Thanks for the post, but I'm thinking of going with something black. Cross-country shipping (I'm in WA) wouldn't be too friendly either...

john40 03-13-2013 03:26 PM

"Nasta" makes a black stainless steel tube side step. Also, many websites have free shipping, Google and shop around. I agree with Vangasman that factory tilt out mirrors would be a good choice.
John

marathon 03-14-2013 07:51 AM

I agree the Cipa slip-ons vibrate badly. I discovered that blocking the air coming off the windshield directly under the lip of the slip-on helped. I used a strip of foam tape wedged into the gap.

Although I like my black Westin nerf steps for looks and utility, I can't recommend them. I had them replaced under warrenty when they were 3 yrs old for rust around the plastic step surface. Now I will have to replace them again at my cost. This time for rust in the trailing end of the tube.

john40 03-14-2013 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by marathon (Post 3172891)
I agree the Cipa slip-ons vibrate badly. I discovered that blocking the air coming off the windshield directly under the lip of the slip-on helped. I used a strip of foam tape wedged into the gap.

Although I like my black Westin nerf steps for looks and utility, I can't recommend them. I had them replaced under warrenty when they were 3 yrs old for rust around the plastic step surface. Now I will have to replace them again at my cost. This time for rust in the trailing end of the tube.

Stainless steel would solve that problem.
John

wellmax 03-14-2013 05:51 PM

Kach,
I never really understood why my truck 2500 (bought it used with 42K miles) 2005 model 2x4 with quad cab, sport package, came from the factory with std mirrors, just like come on a 1/2 ton.

I had to buy a set of those clip on mirrors, that do vibrate, but i stuffed cut up pieces of foam rubber behind the mirrors and that helped alot.

great truck, but at this time i will just use the clip on extension mirrors i got from geno's and make do,

maybe someday i will get another dodge diesel and it will have a set of those new power extension mirrors.