3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Are these prices for real?

Old 01-17-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Are these prices for real?

Well the family needs more room, mega cab seems to fit the bill. Been looking for a 5.9 Mega, not too picky about any other options. Is it just this area, or are prices really in the $30k range for a 10 year old truck? I think my truck was only 8 years old with under 100k on it when we got it for $15k...

I've seen some prices of $40k or more?!!! So far the cheapest I have found was an modded 06 that had the rockers, wheel wells, fenders and cab corners rotted out with 180k on it, for $19k. I understand they aren't that common but it just seems overall high in my opinion. Cheaper in any other part of the country? I don't feel like making $400 payments on something that will likely need (I could only assume) moderate maintenance because of it's age.

On a side note did the early 3rd gens have a smaller quad cab then the later ones, or all the same?
Old 01-17-2015, 04:57 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The 3rd gen 5.9's have held onto their values in an unheard of way due to the early 6.7 problems.

Mine is still private selling at 22K, Dealer price would be 26K per KBB.

I'm in California.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look in canada. We used to import trucks from the states a few years ago. Now everyone is doing the reverse.
Your dollar being higher will also help
Old 01-17-2015, 08:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Prices are inflated from 1) Non emissions engines and 2) the cost of new trucks.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:51 PM
EDR

Just a couple of thoughts, and not sure if it's even possible, but have you considered looking for a truck in another state with less rust issues.

I found my truck on the internet and bought it about 700 miles from home. I flew in and drove it home. I did have my Dad, who was local, test drive it before buying it.

Another option you might want to look into is working with an auto broker that can locate a used mega cab for you.

Good luck finding the truck you want.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:06 AM

Just sold the 06 in my sig about 2 weeks ago. Been a dang good truck, but the rear fenders were developing a cancer problem, rest of the truck was fine. Was also nearing 200k on the original trans, which for my wife's and 3 little kids daily driver and my job schedule, made me nervous. Serviced it every 30k and never pulled hard, but just the thought. So we had to make a decision, throw 5-8k at the 06 in a tranny and a box, or put the money towards a new one while the 06 was worth something.

We ordered a new one. Dealer gave me $15k hard for the 06, as is with fender rust, with option to sell outright. I put it on craigslist for $17,600, had 3 calls, 3rd one was a charm. (truck jockey bought it) Got a short 17k for it. I knew there was another $1000-1500 in the truck if I wanted to gamble sitting on it for another week, but I was happy, buyer was happy, dealer was happy.

BTW when I advertised it, it was the cheapest Mega in the general Midwest that I could find, by about 3-4000 and had the lowest miles. Mine is gone, and several of those are still being advertised. So I guess just because you ask the price, doesn't mean you get it. New buyer took it home, put new rims and tires (sure another craigslist find), some fender flares to hide the rust, and advertised it for $21,500 about 5 days later! haha.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I've been looking in about 500 mile range, did find one in West Virginia I believe for $20, 100k miles a auto loaded but 2wd. Seems to be 7-10 grand difference for 4wd....
I'm sure the right deal will be out there, just gotta be patient. I guess it's good to know the resale will be good, not that I plan on selling it 5 days later...
Old 01-18-2015, 09:41 PM

I bought my 06 Quad cab 4x4 SLT in July 13 with 73k miles, for 27k. I was shopping prices all over north and central Florida for months. They were 29k-34k all day long with low miles. When I saw the lower price, I thought something may be wrong, so I test drove it. It has been a great truck. I thought about refinancing 2 weeks ago and my Credit Union still books it at $27k 18 months after I bought it. Turns out they could match my payment, but 6 months more to pay, so I will keep the loan I have through a bank the dealer found for me. Keep shopping, as deals appear for brief moments.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 06 srw3500 megan Laramie with 135k. I wouldn't even consider letting it go.for less than 32k. Mint condition almost never drive it in the winter. These things hold there value.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I, like the previous poster and most owners, won't consider selling, so there simply aren't many out there for sale. Like an earlier post said- supply and demand. About a month ago I tried to find another 5.9L Mega Cab with the G56 and 4wd and could only find 1 for sale in the entire country- and it was $40k. I searched craigslist, autotrader, cars.com, carsoup.com and ebay, and there was only 1 for sale with those options- allow for an automatic and there were a couple dozen, but still $27K and up.

I won't sell for these reasons: It's too comfortable for the whole family (three kids in tow- and they can spread out back there). Tows nearly anything, has a trunk bigger than a Cadillac (have a locking fiberglass top on the bed), gets better fuel economy than any truck I've owned, and has been incredibly reliable, be it mechanical, or getting through bad weather. If you want/need a Jack of all Trades vehicle- this thing fits the bill better than most. The only down side is finding a parking spot at the store that won't lead to door dings, and all that surface area to wash and wax...
Old 02-02-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only way I would consider parting ways with this truck is for.the exact same truck with a 6 speed. They basically don't exist. I have seen slt megacabs with 6 speeds but not Laramies. To find one now with as low of miles as i have and all the options would be almost impossible. I will most likely keep this thing forever. When the auto goes I will probably convert it to a six speed and have the perfect truck. I previously stated it would take 32k to get it from me but to be honest I am not sure that would be enough. I would have to be able to go find the same truck with a six speed and I know those go.for over 40k IF you can even find one with low miles anymore.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:04 AM

I really enjoy my truck and would not get rid of it either. My kids are tall and it has been a awesome ride.
Name:  Truck.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  161.0 KB
Old 02-04-2015, 09:59 PM

I bought my one-owner '06 4WD Auto SLT MegaCab 2500 w/ 168K for $23K plus TTL in December 2014. I love it but couldn't imagine paying $30K+ for a 8 year old truck.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
5.9 Megas are a hot item. If you find one (especially with the manual tranny) buy it and keep it.

BTW, that's how I ended up with my 2011 crew-cab. I set out to buy a 2006-2007 Mega, but found a 6-month old crew cab instead (same leg room for the rear seat) for only a few thousand more ($37k), plus with less than 10k miles and still under warranty. Better interest rate = lower payment too. Just sayin'
Old 02-05-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SOhappy
5.9 Megas are a hot item. If you find one (especially with the manual tranny) buy it and keep it.

BTW, that's how I ended up with my 2011 crew-cab. I set out to buy a 2006-2007 Mega, but found a 6-month old crew cab instead (same leg room for the rear seat) for only a few thousand more ($37k), plus with less than 10k miles and still under warranty. Better interest rate = lower payment too. Just sayin'
The legroom being the same is a common misconception due to an error on the 2011 Factory specs sheet found here: (and the fact that both cabs easily fit a 6' adult):

http://www.media.chrysler.com/dcxms/...m_HD_Specs.pdf

Notice that it lists the leg room for the Mega Cab as 5.5" less than the Crew Cab, and the interior volume of the Mega less than the Crew (an obvious mistake).

The actual Specs for interior volume (Comparing 2011 Cabs):

Leg Room Rear - CC 40.3 and MC 43.3 (3" more- plus the rear seats recline- allowing for more comfort).

Rear volume - CC 64.2 and MC 78.45

However, if you comparing 3rd gen Mega Cabs to the 4th Gen Crew Cab, the 3rd Gen Mega Cab was bigger on the inside than the 4th Gen. The 3rd Gen Mega Cab leg room was 44.2 inches- .9" more than the 4th Gen MC, and 3.9" more than the Crew Cab.

Source: http://www.media.chrysler.com/dcxms/...gaCabSpecs.pdf page 5

Please don't take this as an attack on your truck, just want to make sure the facts are facts.

There are two Crew Cabs in my family- one of which is a 2011 2500, and they are plenty roomy in the back (my family is all 6'+). The crew cab is a great size- and a great looking truck.

If the 5.9L Cummins had had a crew cab option (it was only available in RC, QC, and MC) I'm sure there would be a large demand for those as well. It's the cab configurations paired with the 5.9L from the factory that make the 5.9L Mega Cab such a rare beast, and so desirable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are these prices for real?