Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   switch in battery box (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/switch-battery-box-321687/)

realfast 04-18-2015 05:09 PM

switch in battery box

what is the switch in the bottom of the battery box?

verdesardog 04-18-2015 05:47 PM

temperature sensor

realfast 04-18-2015 06:42 PM

don't think so. it is some sort of pressure switch.

verdesardog 04-18-2015 08:48 PM

well you can think whatever you want but it is a temperature sensor

realfast 04-18-2015 08:51 PM

well why does it appear to be activated by the weight of the battery?

verdesardog 04-18-2015 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 44760

verdesardog 04-18-2015 08:54 PM

do an online search for dodge cummins battery temp sensor, if you think it's a pressure switch you might learn something.

realfast 04-19-2015 08:12 AM

thank you for the info. and you off beat humor. If you had first explained that it was a temp. sensor to reduce or stop the alt. from over charging. I would have bought it. But to say oh it is a temp sensor was minimal information. It sounded like so many here that know so little but come across with so much wrong info.
In the future when ask a question explain your answer thoroughly and you will shine among your peers and be known as very knowledgeable!

seafish 04-19-2015 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by realfast (Post 3273461)

Because it is under the battery?? lol

seafish 04-19-2015 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by realfast (Post 3273490)
thank you for the info. and you off beat humor. If you had first explained that it was a temp. sensor to reduce or stop the alt. from over charging. I would have bought it. But to say oh it is a temp sensor was minimal information. It sounded like so many here that know so little but come across with so much wrong info.
In the future when ask a question explain your answer thoroughly and you will shine among your peers and be known as very knowledgeable!

Now if you were having problems with your battery overcharging, then you might need an additional explanation as to how the temp sensor influences charging rate, but you asked a simple question and got a simple answer…what is there to explain??

verdesardog 04-19-2015 08:44 PM

I answered your question as completely as you asked it......

Shorts 04-19-2015 08:55 PM

Hey man, the info was correct. Just say 'thanks, my bad' and go on with it.

Personally the first time I saw that sensor I thought it looked like a pressure switch detonator for a land mine, that if I removed the battery it would blow up my truck. But, I removed the battery and my truck didn't blow up so, good to go.

Jeff in TD 04-20-2015 05:08 AM

Yeah it's a temp sensor.

My truck once gave CEL and a code that battery temp sensor failed rationality check with the other temp sensors. Apparently it checkes intake temp against bat temp when engine is cold. Turns out there was a TSB to reflash and adjust the threshold where it trips the error code.

PWong 04-20-2015 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by realfast (Post 3273461)

It's to detect the presence of the battery.[duhhh]

verdesardog 04-20-2015 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by PWong (Post 3273582)
It's to detect the presence of the battery.[duhhh]

It is NOT a pressure sensor