3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Sunroof leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof leak

I have a 08 ram 3500 Laramie megacab. And the sunroof is leaking. I remember seeing something a long time ago about a fix or what to look for, but the search failed me in finding information.

The water comes down the pilar on the drivers side and out the screw hole for the grab handles. It gets my leg wet. I have also had water in the DVD player, but it still works.

The last year or so have been overly dry here in OK, so it was not a big deal. But today my leg looks like I peed on it. it is so wet. There is standing water on the rubber floor mat.

Heavy rains are not as much an issue and driving highway speeds are not either, it leaks on the lighter rains. It also leaks worse when it sits a specific way.

So any tips? Do I need a new gasket kit or who/what type of trade would be best fit in making repairs? Auto body vs dodge?

I've got it close to paid off and I don't really want to trade it off, although today I was very close to pulling into the dealer with my cold wet leg.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm not sure if there is a specific fix dealing with the sun roof, but when I used to have T-tops on my camaro, I had a minor leak... I would clean the gasket, then put a light coat of vaseline on the gasket and let it sit out in the sun. After a couple of hours, I would wipe the excess off, and it would be good. The vaseline softens the gaskets and makes them form to the glass better.

If you have cab lights, it could be your cab lights also. I had a leak coming from my cab lights, a light coat of silicone around the gaskets and in the screw holes fixed it up.

Hope someone has some good specific advice for your sun roof...
Old 02-25-2013, 01:31 PM

I would take it to a glass shop. They will run the tests for free and fix it cheaper than wasting your time trying to find the fix. My rear window did the same and my insurance covered it, but I chose to pay the $100 out of pocket to get it fixed. Water is a pain in the butt, mine as well get someone with a air tester and find out the reason. Paid off??? That is awesome!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have heard of the gasket stuff to make them come back alive. I forgot about that.

I can tell you for a fact $100 is well worth it for me not to have a wet leg. I will do some poking around at the local shops.

Yep it will be paid off in less than a year. I have never had a nice vehicle that is worth more than I owe on it. Looking forward to not have to wright a check.

I spent $1900 last fall getting the death wobble taken care of having the front end gone through. Again was well worth it to me, otherwise it was so bad I was ready to call it quits. The guy guaranteed me he would fix it, but to take the time it would cost me. He earned my return business when he fixed the ball joints that were bad but not loose after taking to 4 front end shops before him.