3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Strange electrical gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange electrical gremlins

My '05 Dodge is having some strange issues, the windshield wipers will turn on randomly, even without the key being in the ignition,(which has been an intermittent problem for awhile) but now one of the two taillights bulbs on the right side has gone out, which I replaced, and did not fix. My "lamp out" light will come on intermittently and the front left blinker will stop flashing on occasion and then come back on, not sure what is going on, anyone have similar problems?
Old 11-12-2017, 09:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You may well need a new windshield wiper/turn signal multi-switch.

My '05 would also randomly cycle the wipers as you describe. I replaced the multi-switch and its better now, although it will still sometimes cycle the wipers twice when in intermittent wiping modes. I tested the resistance between the pins on the switch as indicated in the service manual at all the wiper settings and they seemed in spec, but there was one setting for which the spec was lower (higher resistance) than my ohm-meter would read. Replaced the multi-switch anyway. I got it for $45 on eBay instead of the dealer's $100.

I didn't have the turn signal issues you describe, but it all flows through the same switch.

Make sure you disconnect the truck's batteries for a several minutes before you disconnect the air-bag assembly in the steering wheel, and, you'll need to track down a steering wheel puller.

Also, check out the Sticky about replacing the multi-switch, or cleaning your's.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response jumper, I'm going to check into your suggestions, I'm still wondering about top tail light which is non functional, could it be a bad tail light circuit board, I have a '93 Chevy pickup and the circuit boards are weak links in their lighting systems, could this be the same problem with my Dodge?