3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Stereo Upgrade In 2005

Old 06-05-2014, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Stereo Upgrade In 2005

Dont really feel like replacing the stock sterio, but what can I do to make the system sound better? Dont want to add speaker boxes and loose storage either...

Can just an existing speaker upgrade be enough? Its not loud, nor crisp, no bass
Old 06-05-2014, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you currently have the infinity system? If you do I imagine you will see some improvement by changing speakers but not much. If you don't have the infinity system you can add an amp, replace the stock speakers and add some tweeters and see a noticeable improvement.
My '05 had the infinity system. I'm not really an audiophile so I was happy with just a deck replacement.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:27 PM

hmm, not sure, Ill have to look
Old 06-05-2014, 04:21 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whether you have the basic 4-speaker system or the Infinity 6 speaker system, the best upgrade for quality of sound will be the head unit.

I wouldn't upgrade speakers until the head unit is done.

My truck has the 4-speaker system and I just had a Pioneer nav installed. Music sounds very good now. The head unit made a big difference. I'll keep the stock speakers until they putter out then replace.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:22 PM

oh, did you do the replace yourself? I just dont want it to look hacked up (some adapter kits look like crap)
Old 06-05-2014, 04:24 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, I splurged and had a local installer take care of it. It is doable at home though. The dash and the route you go with that will make the difference on final presentation.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Shorts
Whether you have the basic 4-speaker system or the Infinity 6 speaker system, the best upgrade for quality of sound will be the head unit.

My truck has the 4-speaker system and I just had a Pioneer nav installed. Music sounds very good now. The head unit made a big difference. I'll keep the stock speakers until they putter out then replace.
I have a plain jane AM/FM Single CD system and my drivers door speaker has putter out on me. Anyone know the size of these speakers front and rear? I am thinking they are round 6 1/2's?

Old 12-10-2018, 07:17 PM

I was just thinking about doing the same thing. I have a 2005 CTD, quad cab, with the 6 cd changer and Infinity sound system. Would love to have a stereo with hands free phone capability, blue tooth and a screen capable of using for a back up camera. Not so much concerned with sound quality as much as having the features available in my grocery getter.

I replaced the clutch in my truck myself so, I'm not a complete slouch but, cutting into my dash scares me.

How difficult of a job is it to go from our 1.5 din POS in our trucks to a double din system? Do they have replacement bezzels that look ok? Anybody with pictures?
Old 12-19-2018, 12:59 PM

Ok, I did my research and concluded that I need to bypass the Infinity Amp. According to Crutchfield I need ...

Bezle:Metra 95-6522B
Wiring Harness: Metra 70-6510
Antenna Adapter: 40-CR10
Inline High-pass filters, 5000 Hz Cut-off for tweeters: Crutchfield Bass-8

My questions for the community are:
1. Does anybody have a good step by step procedure to access the plugs on the Infinity amp?
2. Anybody have any information on the 5000 Hz cut-off for the tweeters?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-28-2018, 10:43 AM

For those of you tracking, I went ahead with the installation. The wiring instructions provided by Crutchfield were lacking severely in completeness but, after a few patient calls to them, I developed the attached schematic.

I wanted to use all 7 of the factory Infinity speakers and remove the amplifier. This schematic which was approved by the helpful staff of Crutchfield, shows just how to do that. And, it works! The system sounds great. The only other thing you should think about adding is a Parking Brake Micro Bypass. For safety reasons (?) Pioneer made it a real pain in the a$$ with the parking brake wire. For some reason, connecting the parking brake wire to my switch wasn't good enough. I will temporarily wire in a switch to connect it to ground until the Micro Bypass comes in. And yes, the newer Pioneer systems will not let you hard wire that lead to ground.

Schematic.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Schematic file.pdf (216.8 KB, 356 views)
Old 12-31-2018, 01:24 PM

Well, the job is complete. Installed a Pioneer AVH-2440NEX and Master Tailgater backup camera. Even completed the job by replacing the unused cigarette lighter for a combination USB/AV port.
It was a pain but, I'm pleased with the installation.

Recommendations for those considering doing the job:
1. Get a parking brake micro switch to "trick" the system into thinking the parking brake is always on. Way easier to wire this $13 part into the harness than to try and connect to the parking brake wire. And, it enables you to watch videos while driving. (not that I would ever do that).
2. Buy about 20 ft of 3/8 wire loom and run the back up camera harness through the loom with an extra wire for the backup lite signal. I was able to connect the stereo to the same lead I use to feed the back up beeper. Indecently, for those of you that haven't wired in a backup beeper, you don't know what your missing. I would put that $20 mod as probably the 3rd best mod I've ever done.
3. Take your friggen time with the lighter removal. Dodge made the way more difficult and challenging than it needed to be. If you're not careful, you run the risk of breaking the center part of your dash in two.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 2008 3500hd with infinity sound system. I'm installing a sub amp and 2-12 inch JBL subs in a Fox Acoustics sub box and a 4 channel amp to power the door speakers. I am leaving the infinity amp wired in to run the 3" speakers in the dash so I will have 2- 3" AND 4- 6.5" Components and the 2 subs .
I have a JBL GTO 1001ez amp , JBl 840ez 4 channel amp , 2 JBL Stadium 12 inch and a Pioneer AVH X5800bhs Headunit . I'm almost done just have to install the 4 pair of Infinity Kappa 60.9cs in the doors .
Old 01-05-2019, 03:30 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Shorts

Yeah,I just replaced my stocker with a Pioneer double din. The sound is so much better. Bluetooth is quick and clear. The touchscreen is intuitive and well lit.
My speakers are Polk Audio Marine units. I'd had them for awhile but no comparison in sound until the new head unit went in.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had to run all new speaker wires could not tap into the old wires. So I have 2 speakers to install and pre charge my NVX 10 farad capacitor and tune the amps and shake the ground LOL
Old 01-24-2019, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by philiptibbs
I had to run all new speaker wires could not tap into the old wires. So I have 2 speakers to install and pre charge my NVX 10 farad capacitor and tune the amps and shake the ground LOL
what size radio can I put in my 05 2500 like to put a touch screen in what dash adapter do in need to make it fit? Tired of stock radio I get 4 radio stations and sounds like crap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade In 2005