3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

SpynTec Hub Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the long term report card on this kit.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the update
Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with a PDF copy of the manual care to share it? Need the install manual for 04.5 series 3500 SRW. This would be the long kit not the new shorty kit.

Thanks
Matt
Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rogers259
Update on the Hubs, Currently the truck has 242,800 miles on it and we installed these hubs @ 176k miles on 9/21/2012. Here it is two years later and almost 67k miles on the hubs.

Couple of things...even with regular greasing of the hubs the bearings are worn out and will need replaced in the coming weeks. Certainly not the mileage that I got from stock oem hubs. Also the seals on the lockouts need to be replaced at regular intervals or you get grease slung down the side of your truck. I've probably replaced those seals 6-7 times over the past two years. Left front u-joint is shot again. Even with regular greasing and making sure to run the hubs locked every so often to move those joints around...it still went bad.

So...not sure how I would rate these hubs at this point. If I had to do it over again would I go the free spin route...yes most defiantly. Would i choose the spyntec kit or go with another company...probably would have chosen a different company. I go back to the quality of the fit and finish comment I made back in a previous post. It seems to be a quality product and i'm happy but I expected more and the seals on the lockouts going out all the time and slinging grease down the side of the truck is annoying.
The above quote scared me as I don't have quite as many miles aproximatly 4500 less than that on my dynatrac kit so I pulled it down and did a bearing repack and inspected the bearings and races and reused everything exept the seals over ( I use Mobil synthetic grease) I did not want any trouble on the road and we will be going to Arizona after the new year. I went to a 4wheel drive shop in Edmonton with my old seals as a sample and was able to get everthing I needed including the new locks. The guy told me they were the same as the older dayna equiped Dodges and Fords.
Jim O
Old 12-03-2012, 06:03 PM

Ive got over 130k on my dynatrac kit and just repacked them and bearings look just like new ones , something is not right if your bearings are shot in 67k! Sounds like preload was to tight or maybe to loose? My hubs seal on with an o-ring and have never had one leak.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:50 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rogers259
Update on the Hubs, Currently the truck has 242,800 miles on it and we installed these hubs @ 176k miles on 9/21/2012. Here it is two years later and almost 67k miles on the hubs.

Couple of things...even with regular greasing of the hubs the bearings are worn out and will need replaced in the coming weeks. Certainly not the mileage that I got from stock oem hubs. Also the seals on the lockouts need to be replaced at regular intervals or you get grease slung down the side of your truck. I've probably replaced those seals 6-7 times over the past two years. Left front u-joint is shot again. Even with regular greasing and making sure to run the hubs locked every so often to move those joints around...it still went bad.

So...not sure how I would rate these hubs at this point. If I had to do it over again would I go the free spin route...yes most defiantly. Would i choose the spyntec kit or go with another company...probably would have chosen a different company. I go back to the quality of the fit and finish comment I made back in a previous post. It seems to be a quality product and i'm happy but I expected more and the seals on the lockouts going out all the time and slinging grease down the side of the truck is annoying.

Something is very wrong here in your situation. I have two trucks running the FS kits. one with 82k miles the other is at 206k. the one with 206k has been re-packed 3 times and tows a 16k lbs gooseneck all the time (EMS). still running original bearings and seals. second truck is just getting brakes and a repack at the same time (Spintec), bearings looked great no leaks on seals. both are running the same bearings and seals.

IIRC ford used to recomend 40k between repacks but no one ever did that not unusual to see guyts push 100k+ and rarely id they get serviced unless when a brake job was being done.

sounds like a heat issue, either too tight or to be greased differently. grease getting out of a seal is an early sign of a problem. they call for 50 ft/lbs on inner i usually run 35-40 ft/lbs (overtighten and then back off a 1/8 to 1/4 turn) on inner nut enough that i can get some free spin of the tire and then a definate 60 ft/lbs on outer nut its served me well. its a little loose but has never failed me in 30 years. spin the tire with just the inner nut on and listen to things and feel for roughness or tightness. overtightening and then backing off helps seat things up a touch and gives a better feel. IMHO

http://www.dana60manual.com/
Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 PM

I now have 40,000 miles on my lockouts (SPINTEC) no problems at all! Converting to lockouts are like having a 4X4 Dodge from the 70's and 80's with TIMKIN inner and outer bearings. These bearings should run 100,000 miles with checking the preload once in a while. Very low maintenance bearings, that's why it was done away with. Everything is throw away now, not clean and repack when it comes to bearings.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:10 PM

Been running my SpynTec Hub kit for over 8 years without a problem!!