3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

SpynTec Hub Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skyd Ram,

Yeah, I realized that after looking at the different hub kits. Mine definitely stick out more than yours and I will admit that if price had not been a factor, I would have gone with the dynatrac simply for that reason. However, I am very happy with the spyntec kit so far and It really doesn't look bad imo. I was able to buy the spyntec kit, XRF ball joints and all new u joints for less than I would have spent on just the dynatrac kit(with the dynaloc hubs). For me, this was the deciding factor. I'm sure the dynatrac kits are as good as any kit available but I just couldn't justify the extra cost for the shorter hubs.

take care
Dave
Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 AM

My SpynTech freespin kit is done... Everything seemed to fit fine during the instal and the machine work is nice. I don't know if I'm second guessing myself or what, but my new hubs feel way too hot after I take a longer drive. We did everything to the spec of the instructions and backed off the axle nut the quarter turn before locking it in place with the pinned washer and the lock nut to 150 ft lbs. You could definitely spind the hub by hand with no effort. I put about 100 miles on the truck yesterday, non-stop highway miles at 65 mph, and when I stopped off the highway I jumped out to feel both hubs and they are definitely hot. The wheels spin just fine with absolutely no drag, so I think I'm just being paranoid. Anyone else have an opinion on this? How hot should they get get? I could hold my hand on the hubs for a few seconds, but it was right at the point of being too hot to hold my hand on it for very long.

The ride quality of the new Carli Ball Joints and the Free Spin hub kit is awesome so far. It feels like a completely different truck and drives like a car up front. My front end feels solid again and now I just need to have my mind put at ease about the temperature of these hubs after driving. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 05-24-2010, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback! Not sure on the hubs heating up, hopefully someone with hubs can comment back on that and let us know.

Waiting on a check to come in from work and I'm going to get it soon...would have liked to have it by Memorial Weekend but thats pushing it.

Matt
Old 05-24-2010, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have a kit on my Dodge but have never had a locking hub get hot on other trucks. I would try loosening the bearing nut another 1/4 turn and see what you get. Maybe do just one and see if there's a difference side to side.

It sounds like they are a bit tight to me.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by billie
I don't have a kit on my Dodge but have never had a locking hub get hot on other trucks. I would try loosening the bearing nut another 1/4 turn and see what you get. Maybe do just one and see if there's a difference side to side.

It sounds like they are a bit tight to me.
My Dodge is the first truck I have ever had without locking hubs. On all my other vehicles, the hubs would be hot to the touch after a long drive, and I never experienced any failures. You could back off another 1/4 turn like Billie said, and run it and see. But, I would trust the instructions. If you have a failure, and deviated from their instructions, you could void your warranty.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:08 PM

I'm still waiting to hear how the hubs work out before I place my order. I can drive my old K5 Blazer all day long,go off road ect and have never had a hub hot to the touch. Even my old plow truck that I worked the snot out of never had hot hubs.(winter may be the difference)

Have you checked back with whom you bought the kit from and asked about the heat issue?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 PM

I will try and remember to check mine in the morning after I drive to work(75 miles away) and see how hot they get. I wonder how quick they heat up due to heat transfer from the brake rotors? I know Redneck-Express said he drove non-stop and they were fairly hot. I just wonder if they could have gotten hot that quick from applying the brakes when he pulled over? Doesn't sound like it but I'm not for sure.

On another note, my spyntec hubs are working great so far!

Dave
Old 05-26-2010, 06:55 AM

Ok, I checked my hubs this morning after driving to work. I drove about 55 miles nonstop this morning before stopping to get diesel. My hubs were pretty warm but not what I would call hot. I then drove the next 20 miles with some stop and go traffic and a few stop lights. When I arrived at work, my hubs were noticeably hot. I would say they were uncomfortable to the touch but not so hot that I could not keep my hand on them. This makes me think most of the heat is being transfered through the brake rotors. They were twice as hot in the last twenty miles than they were the first 55 miles.

I really don't think there is an issue. The wheel bearing grease is rated to several hundred degrees so I think they will take a lot more heat than what I am seeing. I have made several trips over 200 miles and have had no issues.

Maybe backing off of the preload a little may help if your's are getting extremely hot but in my case I am not worried.

Dave
Old 05-26-2010, 09:45 AM

We put my truck back up on the lift last night to check the hubs and as soon as we had it off the ground you could spin the wheels with your pinky finger, almost 3/4 of a turn. They spin nice and smooth and the only drag we could feel is from the brakes. I pulled off the passenger side Mile Marker lock out cap and the grease looked perfect like we never even drove the truck down the road... We decided to trust in the instructions and we didn't adjust anything. I put the lockout cap back on the end of the hub and I'm driving it. When I got to work today (25 miles of backroads and stop signs), the hubs were hot, but not as hot as they were on Sunday after the 100 mile run. I'm out of answers here??? They just seem too hot, but they roll fine with no drag.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:04 PM

Redneck,

I am no expert by any means but I think you may have answered it yourself(or at least I hope so). You said the only drag you feel is the brakes. I would be willing to bet that ANY drag on the brakes could cause some of the heat you are getting. I am sure some of the rotor heat has to transfer into the hub.

I'd be willing to bet that you are good to go. I've noticed trailer hubs being somewhat hot before when pulling them and I have not had any problems with them. I bet some heat is normal.

Dave
Old 05-26-2010, 03:25 PM

Just had the Dynaloc hubs installed on my truck and after a long run on the highway I checked the temp of the hubs, they were very warm to the touch, any hotter and I wouldnt be able to hold my hand on them. The factory hubs on my 97 F350 got to be about the same temp also and after 200,000 miles without failure, I'm guessing some heat is normal.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:16 PM

My EMS off-road hubs get extremely hot. Way too hot to hold your hand on for more than 10-15 seconds. But I just returned from a 800 mile trip with zero issues. A friend of mine who is a big truck mechanic said it's nothing to be concerned about. If you see the high temperature grease boiling out of the hubs, then you have an issue.

Next time I go for a ride I'm going to take my infrared thermometer and see how hot they really get.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:51 PM

This morning, ambient temperature 67 degrees, stop and go driving for 5 miles, hub temperature Left 81 degrees F, Right 83 degrees F.......Verified with infrared thermometer.

Stay tuned for long distance ride and record.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:09 PM

More results:

Five miles at a constant 40 mph, using the emergency brake to stop so the front brakes won't influence the findings. Ambient temp 68 degrees:
59 degrees left, 61 degrees right

10 miles at 65 mph using emergency brake to stop. Ambient 68 degrees:
59/60 degrees

10 miles at 65 mph, near panic stop using brakes. Ambient 68 degrees:
80/81

5 miles at 65mph and using brakes to slow down gradually to a stop. Ambient 68 degrees.
81/81

When I first installed the free wheel kit, my hubs were much hotter than I'm seeing now. I estimate the temperature to be +100 degrees. Seems they settle in or losen up just enough to have heat no longer an issue.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:54 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just posted about this heat over in the drivetrain section too. Some heat is normal in the hub area from grease pumping losses and brakes.

The problem for me is that the Dynatrac hubs both melted a plastic bushing inside and caused them to refuse to lockup. This left me in a snow storm over the weekend with no 4wd.

Dynatrac just started making these hubs and they have a some bugs to work out. They sent me a set of bronze bushings under warrantee, but the hub clutches and a couple of other parts are destroyed.

Now it's a holiday weekend and my truck is torn down without parts.

Quick Reply: SpynTec Hub Feedback