3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

SpynTec Hub Feedback

Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpynTec Hub Feedback

Would like to hear some feedback from folks that have the SpynTec front hub conversion done to their truck. Good/Bad/Problems/install issues/Manufacturer Support/Thoughts???? Lets hear it.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 AM

I would like to hear some feedback as well. I have the full Solid Axle SpynTec kit sitting in my living room right now, but I won't have time for instsallation it until mid May. My first visible impression of the machined parts is that the quality is top notch. It is definitely well made, the machining looks great, and everything was coated in cutting oil and wrapped up in plastic/heavy paper to avoid rust. Everything in the kit is a well known name brand (Timken Bearings, Chicago Rawhide Seals, Mile Marker Hubs, etc) and it came with great instructions. The wheel studs are already pressed into the hubs, unlike other kits out there. I can't wait to get my truck in the shop. The only other thing I needed to buy was my U-Joints. I went with greaseable Precision's from NAPA. I will be doing my instal on the weekend of May 15th and 16th. If you can hang in there for a few more weeks, I will give you detailed feedback of the product fit and finish. I will also be installing Carli Ball Joints at the same time, uppers and lowers.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:37 AM

I just received my Spyntec kit from UPS yesterday. The order was processed last Thursday. Quick delivery time for sure. I also have the XRF ball joints that will be installed at the same time. I will be installing it in the next few weeks hopefully. I'm with Redneck on the machining. It looks to be first class. All I have to do now is find a ball joint press to rent and I will be good to go.

I'll update after install.

Dave
Old 04-21-2010, 10:35 AM

Who did you guys go through to order your kit? Seems like there is several places that are now carrying the kits.

I'm planning on ordering mine as well here soon...Already have the Carli uppers and lowers sitting in the garage along with the 08 stearing upgrade. The free spin kit is the last piece.

So far everything I've heard about this kit is only positive. You guys just reinforced it a bit more with how well everything is made on the kit.

Last edited by rogers259; 04-21-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-21-2010, 11:16 AM

I ordered mine through Solid Axle Industries. Just google Spyntec and it will come up. The kit was $1550 + around $75 shipping. I haven't put it together yet but it looks bulletproof. The guys I talked to at Solid Axle were Steve and Matt. They also told me that if for some reason you decide later on that you would rather have the warn lockout hubs instead of the MM's they are interchangeable. I don't know why anyone would want to change the MM's though, they look like they are well made and they are stainless steel. Being they interchange with the Warn brand, I wonder if they also interchange with the Dynatracs. I know some people go with the Dynatrac hubs simply because they stick out about 3/4" less.

Hope this helps
Dave
Old 04-21-2010, 11:25 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The hubs must be interchangeable because I went from the Warn hubs to the Dynatrac hubs with no problem.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:08 PM

Sounds to me then that if some of the guys want the cheaper free spin kit but want the shorter hubs, they could buy the spyntec kit and the dynatrac hubs and have the best of both worlds. The total price would still be lower than the basic dynatrac kit. Could sell the MM's and recoup a few $$ maybe. Just a thought.

Dave
Old 04-22-2010, 07:53 AM

I believe the hubs can be changed on dynatracs, spyntec, EMS...plenty of manufactures out there offering quality lock sets(Warn, Dynatracs, MM, ETC).

Anyone actually have some mileage on the Spyntecs that can give us some feedback.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:31 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Dynatrac hubs may not be all they are cracked up to be. Yeah, they are shorter, and appear to be strong, but they can be a pain to engage/disengage. I made a tool to turn mine because they can be so hard to turn that there is no way a human could do it with only fingers. Also, the markings are just slightly etched into the metal ring and there is no arrow. So, if there is any road grime or mud on the hubs you cannot see what position they are in.

I use mine a lot and I always double check to make sure they are set the same. The Warn hubs can be checked easily with a glance.

After destroying a Warn hub and seeing how they are designed, I decided to go with the Dynatracs. Now I have to look much more closely and have a tool to move them.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:23 PM

Do these hubs fill the opening in the wheels? I run aftermarket wheels and wonder if there will be a gap.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:09 PM

Watching
Old 05-16-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After much debate, I ordered and installed the EMS Off Road kit on my 06. Couldn't be more pleased.......
Old 05-17-2010, 07:58 AM

I didn't get my hub installation done this weekend. I ended up going to a Tug-a-Truck event out in Lima, OH for the Four Wheel Nationals weekend. I trailered my friend's 6.0 Ford out there and he tugged it... Got beat by a 2005 Cummins Dually in the second round. I'm planning on doing my instal this weekend on Saturday the 22nd. There should be a picture attached of my truck and trailer with the Powerstroke loaded up for the pull...
Attached Thumbnails SpynTec Hub Feedback-tug-truck-1.jpg  
Old 05-17-2010, 09:45 AM

I put mine in a few weeks ago. I wanted to drive it some before I posted anything about it. So far I have around 2000 miles or so on it and it is working great. I did the install myself and it was pretty straight foward. I think I could have installed the kit in about 6 hrs total if I had not done the ball joints at the same time. I had around 215,000 miles on my original hubs and was expecting to have a tough time removing them. Luckily, my old hubs came off with just a very light tapping with a hammer.

One thing I noticed is that the instructions are a little vague in a few areas. Nothing major but you will want to read it a time or two before jumping in to the install(pay attention to the exploded view). One thing was, when you install the new half shafts on the u joints and put them in the axle tubes, they tell you to install the lip seal and chamfered washer on the splined axle(against the mudslinger). They forget to mention that there is one other small seal that you need to put in the backside of the new hub against the roller bearings that center the axle shaft. The seal is included and you can see it in the exploded view of the install parts list. If you were like me though and you were reading the instructions instead of looking at the exploded view, you will miss this seal.

Other than that, everything was pretty much a no brainer on the install. If you look at the instructions that are in the box with the MM hubs you will notice it references a snap ring on the axle shaft. I called about this because mine did not have this snap ring. I found out that they do not send this snap ring out with the MM hubs because it is not needed. I was told they use them only with the Warn hubs. I was afraid that my u joint knuckles would hit the ends of the axle tubes without the snap ring installed but I have had no problems so far. I have tried it in 4wd several times and it works fine.

All in all, I think the kit is great. Yeah, the hubs do stick out a little, but it doesn't look bad at all imo. I also took mine to the car wash and really hosed them down good. I was trying to see if I could get water in them. I went back home and took the locking hubs off and looked inside and it was dry as a bone, just as it should be.

So far, I'm happy. I saved a good bit compared to the Dynatrac kit too.

Dave
Old 05-17-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by berettaman
Sounds to me then that if some of the guys want the cheaper free spin kit but want the shorter hubs, they could buy the spyntec kit and the dynatrac hubs and have the best of both worlds. The total price would still be lower than the basic dynatrac kit. Could sell the MM's and recoup a few $$ maybe. Just a thought.

Dave
It's not just the Dynaloc locking hubs that stick out less. The actual wheel hubs are also more shallow than the ones used by Spyntek and EMS.

Here is a Dynatrac kit with the Warn hubs:
Name:  FS-KIT-PIC-w-Warn-Prem-Hub-.jpg
Views: 2523
Size:  68.0 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SpynTec Hub Feedback