Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   speaker wire color (+ -) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/speaker-wire-color-33680/)

cwg 10-28-2003 08:14 PM

speaker wire color (+ -)

i'm replacing the factory 6x9's and 5.25's with MB Quarts and would like to know what color wire's are postive and negative (all 4 corners) before i take the panel's off. mine is a 04. thanks in advance

Mexstan 10-28-2003 08:53 PM

Re:speaker wire color (+ -)

Checked my '03 manual and here are the colors:

Left rear WT/RD + WT/BK -
Right rear TN/VT + TN/BK -
Left front door LG/RD + LG/DG -
Right front door LB/VT + LB/BK -

If you have the premium system the colors are different. Hope this helps. Presume the '04 is the same as the '03.

cwg 10-28-2003 09:03 PM

thanks but an 04 must be different. i just pulled off the left rear panel and there's gray/ green and white/ green? i can't find my fluke, so tomorrow i'll grab one from work and check it with the speakers disconnected and the volume cranked up. sometimes you can get a postive and negtive reading that way.

Mexstan 10-28-2003 09:13 PM

Went back and checked all systems and in my manual there are no speaker wires with a green trace. So presume the '04's must be different. With your meter I think you can figure it out.
Sorry I conld not help.

RamDan03 10-28-2003 09:46 PM

[quote author=cwg link=board=17;threadid=21651;start=0#msg202851 date=1067396607]
thanks but an 04 must be different. i just pulled off the left rear panel and there's gray/ green and white/ green? i can't find my fluke, so tomorrow i'll grab one from work and check it with the speakers disconnected and the volume cranked up. sometimes you can get a postive and negtive reading that way.
[/quote]

My '03 has the colors that Mexstan listed. On the '04 I am almost positive that the gray/green is (+) and the white/green is (-). I helped a buddy of mine with an '04 and if I remember correctly that was how we wired them up.

cwg 10-30-2003 06:48 AM

meter idea did not work, so i still need the speaker wire color's for an 04. thanks

DF5152 10-30-2003 07:28 AM

after you have removed ur speakers make note of where the wires came from use a small battery to test speaker polarity. touch the speaker terminals to the positive and negative side of the battery if the speaker moves out u have it wired correctly and the positive lead would have been on the positive side of the battery then go back and match up the wires.

cwg 11-07-2003 01:20 PM

well after a week and no luck trying to get the colors through the dealer and even dodge. i went out and bought a radio adapter plug. i pulled the radio out and installed the plug into the harness. the adapter was labeled so i just matched them up. very easy! took all of 15 min. here they are if anybody what's them, but they will only work on 04's.

left front:
(+) green w/ yellow tracer
(-) green w/ blue tracer

left rear:
(+) gray w/ light green tracer
(-) gray w/ dark green tracer

right front:
(+) gray w/ yellow tracer
(-) gray w/ blue tracer

right rear:
(+) gray w/ light green tracer
(-) gray w/ dark green tracer

turn on: pink w/ yellow tracer
2 grounds: black or black w/ yellow tracer

hope this helps somebody!

J2Waite 07-01-2010 09:29 PM

I know its nearly 7 years later, but thanks! This helped me too[guitar]

madhat 07-01-2010 09:31 PM

+ 1000 points for using the search button!!!