3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

South bend clutch cylinder leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
South bend clutch cylinder leaking

I installed a SB OFE clutch a couple years and about 50k mi ago. Complete kit, replaced the hydraulics too.
Just noticed when I was under the dash that the master cylinder is weeping a little fluid out. Have never had to add fluid and honestly don't know how long it's been like this. Hasn't lost much/any fluid. No drips, it's just wet around the back side of the master cylinder.
Clutch pedal presure has not changed at all. Clutch/trans sounds like a box of rocks moving in gear at low rpms in 2nd and 3rd, but always has, so I don't think the throwout bearing or arm is hanging up. Operates the same as it always has. Works fine.
Looks like it's been this way for quite a while as there's quite a bit of wet dust caked up around the cylinder and the truck is never dirty or dusty inside.
Anyone else experience pre-mature failure of SB hydraulics?
I replaced the OE hyd setup as reccomended for the higher pressure clutch, but got a buddy who had quite a few miles on OE hydros pushing a 3250DD clutch with no problem.
Should I replace the hydraulics? Use SB again? Go back to OE hydrualics? Any better setup?

Taking a long trip towing thru Canada/AK in a month and trying to decide if I should spend the time and $ to fix this. If I hadn't added driving lights to the truck I would have never been under the dash and been none the wiser.