3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Seatbelts not working ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seatbelts not working ...

I have an 03 QC and recently the two side rear seatbelts seem to have days where they do not want to allow you to pull them out to do them up. It seems weird that both just started acting up around the same time ... as we have kids these are a necessity. Any suggestions or places to start looking
Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Does your rear seat flip up to give access to the belt tensioner?

If so, check for any obstructions...

I had this happen and fought with it for a year, even had one replaced in-warranty. I finally figured it out, I had a piece of folded up outdoor carpet in case I got stuck in the snow and when the seat was in the down position my axe would get pushed against the carpet and the carpet would hit and put pressure on the tensioner. I took the carpet out and all is well now. If you have youngin's check for candy or some form of food gumming it up as a possibility also.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 PM

Are you parked level? the retractors have a multi sensors that lock them up, one is speed of the belt being pulled out, second is angle in case the truck is rolling over but has not hit anything and third is the crash or "G" force in case of crash. It only takes a few degrees of angle to set the sensor in lock position, also like I stated don't pull the belt out fast, it will lock quickly. Belts are sort of my business.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:06 PM

Is there any point to look at lubricating something in the tensioner? Should I try going into the tensioner at all? Should I try removing the tensioner to investigate furtner? Thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Not sure if this is the same problem. The middle belt in the back seat on my truck started to stick lots. If I or the passenger would pull it out very VERY slowly we could get it to work...and then that stopped working as well.
I ended up replacing the seat belt mechanism. Works as it should now.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by AndyO
Is there any point to look at lubricating something in the tensioner? Should I try going into the tensioner at all? Should I try removing the tensioner to investigate furtner? Thanks
NO. NO. And if you remove, remember that it must be "In truck position" to work properly, don't think you will find anything wrong that you can see unless the bracket or support tie bars have been bent.