3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Recall: STEERING:LINKAGES:TIE ROD ASSEMBLY 2008-2009 Dodge Ram HD

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
Here is what I found with a search for Dodge TSB #22-005-06

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...archid=4234800
That link yields the following:
"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms"
Old 09-11-2010, 02:00 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do a search (this site and Google both) for the TSB # the links should show up again..
Old 09-22-2010, 11:49 AM

Help

So basically I typed in My VIN on dodge and called dealer and no recall exists for either two . I have a 2009 dodge 2500 . I think I have the new linkage with the U clamps that hold the shock and i always thought it looked very weird. The bs'er at the dealership who seemed to know about the recall said at sometimes some will have the same clamp type set up recalled that were still O.K. He says he will inspect it for me, but he has run into some that they were still ok, im guessing from a different manufacture because he says he would be looking for something on it to tell me if it was the bad one.
Basically if he says mine is ok and i do have the clamp type "new" set up should i take it further trying to get it replaced with the "AE" parts or just leave it alone and assume it is ok?
has anyone run into having the bad steering linkage and dealer not wanting to replace it? what did you do?
thanks in advance
could i possibly have those silver clamps holding the shock and the steering still be alright?, because basically what i am looking at to tell if it's the bad one is those clamps
Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by mitternocht
I got my “AE” steering linkage in. The “AE” is made in Mexico.

At first look you can see that AE has much larger U-bolts for the steering stabilizer bracket than the “AB” part number has. Actually the entire bracket is larger and has flanges on it to keep it from bending.

I haven’t had a chance to put it on or see if anything else is obviously different.

Any new updates on this recall? I see some discussion on TDR, but I don’t see that anyone has gotten a recall for the parts they purchased.
I am seeing this and thinking that i could still have the U-bolts and have the good linkage it just has bigger U bolts?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Banned

What's the cause of the recalls? Is it something to worry about? That's good if the dealers will replace the tie rod assembly.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 PM

Just an update.. I never bothered to take my truck in for the recall, since it's an 04.5, but it was recommended for my truck. My truck is at a dealer for a different issue, and they will also be performing the recall. I do not know yet if they have replaced any steering parts, but I will find out when I get the truck back.
Scott
Old 05-20-2012, 10:53 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for an update

I have about 20000 miles on my 52122362ae setup.

the AE setup is the second steering linkage that i've had to purchase since doing this upgrade, the 52122362AB kit that i originally purchased was deemed to be unsafe by the NHTSA and is sitting in my garage since lithia said my 03 was not covered by the previous recall and that i wouldnt be refunded for my AB purchase.

well now im here to share that the 52122362AE setup also shears off driverside stud at the knuckle. funny thing is i just had my truck in at lithia in janurary for an alignment and specifically asked them to verify that my steering system was not one of the recalled driverside stud failure prone kits and they claimed that my truck had already been warranteed under the recall and that my tie rod ends were not prone to shearing off like the previous setup...... guess they missed the memo. funny thing is they put in the notes of my service order that my ball joints were wore out, track bar was toast and shocks were wiped out. I have Carli ball joints with 8k miles on them, had new billistein 5100's and had a brand new dodge track bar all installed right before i went in. i think their tech wasnt paying attention too well. As of tonight my truck is parked out in my street with driverside stud sheared off, tie rod sitting on the asphault and 20k miles on the linkage.....guess i'll be contacting dodge direct in the morning
Old 06-05-2012, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ajpulley
I'm not worried about mine. My dealer made mention of something to the effect, though I wasn't paying attention, and now it makes sense in hind sight. I believe what I heard was the parts that went on mine are not the production pieces. The tech inspected them (hell, I even held the pieces myself before they went on) nonetheless. And, he has the damper attachment u-bolts on tight. The bolts put on at the factory were installed on an assembly line by the UAW.

Besides, how many lift kits use that style of attachment? And, don't forget... the recall was put into effect by the same folks that were the cause of my horn now beeping if I open my door too quickly after I throw it in Park. Those of you who are familiar with that recall know exactly what I'm talking about. Thank God that service writer is no longer a member of my dealership's team, I felt like knocking the guy cold.
Reading this thread because I'm dealing with the same crap as in the title. Then I came across this gem and was like hey I have the same problem.

That was one of the dumbest things done. I mean really you buncha Edit.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:13 PM

Great just install a new upgrade but it was AH not an AE do I have to worry??? Still have the wobble........ Did get the wobble at 60 MPH and broke the Stud to the Pitman Arm........... Had to get another Tie Rod end reinstalled............ Now what?????????? Don't even want to drive the Truck till I know its fixed...............
Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 PM

I received another recall to the recall last Friday.
I called the Chrysler number on the recall and said the parts are shipping to the dealers.
They tried to call my local shop to see what they had, but they were closed (8pm).
They said they can contact the dealer or I could to ask about availability.
They couldn't tell me what part/parts were to be replaced. They just said it was the "left tie rod end".
Old 07-21-2014, 01:04 PM

I had just driven from Arizona to Florida. We stopped in down town Fort Walton Bch and did some window shopping got back in the truck turn the wheel to pull out of the parking space, bang, the shaft on the steering box snapped right off. What if this had broke when I was traveling at 75 MPH. OMGDODGE you have to love todays vehicle they just seem to got worst and worst.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:16 PM

I actually have an '06 mega cab and just had the tie rod end snap and lost control at 35 mph and veered into oncoming traffic. Dealing with dodge right now and they are not wanting to pay for the repairs at this junction in time. actually just posted all about it in another thread here on the forum.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:30 AM

Interesting...my truck is at the dealer today to have my upgraded steering linkage fixed under the recall.
As I understand d it and from their pics, that tie rod e d (which was about to replace for the third time) will be eliminated as the "new" recall set up is the the old style I had originally.......
Old 09-01-2014, 01:18 PM

The local dealer replaced the affected parts.
Looks like they just beefed up the drag link.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:27 PM

So when they say "left tie rod end" do they mean driver side or passenger? Any good dealers in central Illinois to go to?

Quick Reply: Recall: STEERING:LINKAGES:TIE ROD ASSEMBLY 2008-2009 Dodge Ram HD