Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Rattle (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/rattle-25278/)

c5r 03-31-2003 09:25 AM

Rattle

After 300 Miles there is a real annoying rattle at Idle comming from the lower dash, center to passenger side. Anyone know what it might be before I have to take it in. <br><br>

wick 04-01-2003 08:00 AM

Re:Rattle

I do not have a rattle, but at idle when its cold the dash hums. U can not hear it with the radio on... good thing I like to rock on or i would of drove the truck off of a cliff with that noise... [laugh]

c5r 04-01-2003 11:35 AM

My is a pretty high frequency rattle almost to a Hum, but its there at all temperatures but just at idle. It does want to make me drive off a cliff.

jt 04-03-2003 06:40 AM

Is it the change in the ashtray?<br><br><br>jt

wick 04-03-2003 07:40 AM

the truck has a change holder. No ned to put it in the ashtray. Its not from that area either... Its directly under or in the steering column...

c5r 04-03-2003 10:19 AM

Mine seems like its coming from the center console. And yes all the obvious moving part areas have been checked.<br><br>Its like a structural piece of the dash assemble is loose.<br><br>And mine does it at idle all the time, its is obnoxiously annoying. I am not sure that my blood pressure can survive the anticipated answer from the dodge dealer if I take it in.<br><br>Service is one of the reasons I moved to toyota. Beside that the toyota never went in for service once in the 50K miles I owned it. With ford I was forever chasing rattles, defects, premature wear...

converteddzlr 04-03-2003 11:20 AM

There was a post on this quite a while ago and it related to the adjustable pedals rattling a bit. Mine had that problem for a month or so but now it seems to have disappeared all by itself.

dodgediesel98 02-29-2004 07:00 PM

your trans dipstick tube is rattling on the heater hose line that it is zip tied to. put a piece of heater hose around the the tube and re zip tie. hope this helps.

Bill D.

jlbota 03-01-2004 12:43 AM

Annoying Rattle

I found on my truck when it was cold the plastic air cowling in front of the windshield was rattling really loud at idle. It only does this when its cold like I said so I dunno if its expanding a bit or what...It seems to be coming from the very right hand corner nearest the windshield and maybe rattling on the windshield?

A few times I have had items sitting in my cupholders that rattled a bit at idle also.

by2005 03-01-2004 04:26 PM

rattle

I had the same rattle and it turned out to be the trans dipstick rattling in its own tube...

dodgedude361 03-01-2004 10:14 PM

Originally posted by dodgediesel98
your trans dipstick tube is rattling on the heater hose line that it is zip tied to. put a piece of heater hose around the the tube and re zip tie. hope this helps.

Bill D.

what he said, plenty of posts on this.... get a ZIP tie and secure that dipstick....allthough i DONT have this problem , its verry common

1sttruck 03-02-2004 02:35 PM

Mine had a rattle/squeak from a similar location, and it turned out to be the boot on the shift lever. I fixed it by pulling the boot down a bit and rubbing a candle on the lever.

TURBO98 07-22-2006 06:52 PM

When It Rattles Get Someone To Grab The Two Heater Hose Lines Where They Go Through The Firwall, The Noise Will Stop. Don't Know How To Repair Without Removing The Ac Housing