Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Passenger in hell... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/passenger-hell-330398/)

ROB-O 06-05-2018 09:31 AM

Passenger in hell...

AC on driver side is, well, satisfactory. Could be a bit colder. However, the passenger is in hell. Blows what feels like re-circ air, not cool, but not necessarily heated either . So obviously, i am looking at taking the dash apart. I guessing there is broken linkage, a broken door, or related servo/motor that isn't working correctly. Is this a common problem? Can anyone offer what is happening here and point me in the right direction? I'm wanting to order and have the parts ready to install when i have the dash apart instead of tearing it apart and having to leave it apart while i wait a week, or so, for parts to arrive.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Rob

Mexstan 06-05-2018 11:19 AM

Common problem. Before throwing expensive parts at it, check the Freon pressure. Some A/C professionals may frown on this, but go to Autozone, NAPA etc and buy a can of Freon and the hose to fill the system. Empty the can into your system per the instructions on the can. Then let us know if there is any difference.

Do a search here and you will find scads of info on this common problem. Another possibility is a broken door. Check out Heater Treater,

ROB-O 06-05-2018 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan (Post 3349190)
Common problem. Before throwing expensive parts at it, check the Freon pressure. Some A/C professionals may frown on this, but go to Autozone, NAPA etc and buy a can of Freon and the hose to fill the system. Empty the can into your system per the instructions on the can. Then let us know if there is any difference.

Do a search here and you will find scads of info on this common problem. Another possibility is a broken door. Check out Heater Treater,

Would a low refrigerant level give cool air to the two vents on either side of the instruments, and a definite higher temp (warmer) to the rest?

ROB-O 06-05-2018 05:26 PM

Edit: Wow, i am a dope...
Already asked this question a while back https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-issue-326464/

No need for anyone else to respond to this unless you want to break balls...

Mexstan 06-05-2018 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by ROB-O (Post 3349205)
Would a low refrigerant level give cool air to the two vents on either side of the instruments, and a definite higher temp (warmer) to the rest?

Going to ignore your post after this and just add another 2 cents - not that it is worth much these days with inflation.

Short answer to your question, YES! Many guys on this site have discovered the same thing. When my truck was still under warranty it was back at the dealer three times for a similar problem. Each time they could not find anything wrong except for low refrigerant. No leaks could be found. They topped up the Freon and the system worked perfectly. To this day I still occasionally have the passenger complaining of no cold air, so just top up the system. Another symptom is that everything freezes up. So every year or so I add a can of Freon and I am good to go again.

ROB-O 06-05-2018 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan (Post 3349209)
Going to ignore your post after this and just add another 2 cents - not that it is worth much these days with inflation.

Short answer to your question, YES! Many guys on this site have discovered the same thing. When my truck was still under warranty it was back at the dealer three times for a similar problem. Each time they could not find anything wrong except for low refrigerant. No leaks could be found. They topped up the Freon and the system worked perfectly. To this day I still occasionally have the passenger complaining of no cold air, so just top up the system. Another symptom is that everything freezes up. So every year or so I add a can of Freon and I am good to go again.

Hmm, Wonder where the refrigerant goes...

Thanks.

gcssr 06-06-2018 08:41 AM

Don't know where it goes, I have put 1 can every 3 to 4 years and it is ready again this season;;

Mexstan 06-16-2018 02:27 PM

ROB-O, did you resolve the problem and if so, what did you do?

Danavilla 06-18-2018 11:13 AM

I'm curious as well. My truck did the same thing and after grandson vacuumed and added refrig. it still wasn't cooling right. He re-vacuumed it and learned part of refrig. had disappeared. We figured it was leaking so added dye to that batch. I can't find a leak using a black light so have no idea where the leak is/was. It's still cooling fine but I keep a refill kit in the toolbox in case it fails when I'm on the road.

Tezcatlipoca 06-22-2018 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan (Post 3349190)

Blend Door USA is another option for doors for anyone that is looking. I've got a full set of them in my truck, haven't had any issues with them, and you don't loose dual zone controls.