Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   one window wont roll up??? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/one-window-wont-roll-up-236611/)

stumpjumper 03-18-2009 07:06 PM

one window wont roll up???

on my '05 right rear window wont roll up. it will roll down from the switch on that door. it will not roll up from either switch. i know the window motor is capable of rolling up the window because i ran a small jumper wire to roll the window back up. the window lock button doesn't matter. all the fuses under the hood seem to be ok. I tried a new master switch and no difference. i swapped the door switch from other side no difference. any suggestions or does anybody else have this experience before i totally dive in. i hope to have it fixed for the mint 400 next weekend any help will be appreciated...

madhat 03-18-2009 09:41 PM

Have you checked your hot wire to the window motor with a voltmeter/test light? Look in the door jam where the wires run into the door, make sure something did not get mashed. I'd check the power to it first.

rockcrawler304 03-18-2009 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by madhat (Post 2424377)
Have you checked your hot wire to the window motor with a voltmeter/test light? Look in the door jam where the wires run into the door, make sure something did not get mashed. I'd check the power to it first.

+1
First check to see if you get power to it with a volt meter.

Mocho 03-18-2009 11:21 PM

I've got the same problem, except it's my passenger front. Funny thing is if I keep trying it will eventully work. Always go down, decides went it wants to go up [verymad] My guess is we have the same problem, and a wire is probably bare somewhere and shorting out?

madhat 03-19-2009 03:28 AM

For an intermittent problem, I would first look where the wires come into the door, then I would look at my connections, and check for corrosion or a loose connection.

Mocho, is it intermittent from just one switch (pass or driver) or both if them? If it's both, it could be a switch, lockout switch, motor, or power issue. If it is just one, I'd say it's a power issue.

FMB 03-19-2009 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by stumpjumper (Post 2424145)
it will roll down from the switch on that door. it will not roll up from either switch....

Good clues.

Originally Posted by stumpjumper (Post 2424145)
i know the window motor is capable of rolling up the window because i ran a small jumper wire to roll the window back up.

Another good clue.

I do wonder where you ran your jumper from/to, but I'll guess it was from battery power directly to the motor at the connector.

Looking at the schematic for the '03, the common part(s) that may fail include the rear window switch (which you already changed out and the problem continued) and the wire and connectors from the rear window switch to the motor itself. I would disconnect this wire on both ends and do a continuity test and check the tightness of the wires to the connectors. For the '03, it is the Dark Blue wire but you will need to check both.

Lockout switch must be working, otherwise you wouldn't be able to roll the window down from the rear door switch.

stumpjumper 03-19-2009 03:32 PM

i disconnected the window motor in the right rear door. ran jumper wires from the connector to the motor but swapped the wires. when i pushed the down on the switch the window rolled up...i checked the wiring diagrams and remembered my three year old daughter climbed into her seat using the wires in the door. so when i get home i'm going to check there first...it's funny how you remember stuff like that after you spend $100 for a master switch...LOL

Mocho 03-19-2009 06:28 PM

My window will not go up from either switch, and today the drivers one wouldn't do a thing for the one window, all others work fine. It will go down on it's own switch but doesn't like to go up, sometimes the drivers side will work, sometimes not [verymad]

Just a fyi, I remember when I did my system install the drivers rear door the wires to the speaker were cut and all the others were bare in the black boot. So that could be causing a problem for you?

stumpjumper 03-19-2009 09:23 PM

found the problem! thanks for all your help...there was a wire cut inside the black boot. looks amost like someone cut with some cutters. perfect cut...solder wire together heat shrink it good as new...

Chris Holkey 07-10-2018 01:06 PM

Door jamb wires

Door jamb wires are the culprit almost every wire was busted

AkM3chanic 09-06-2019 12:10 PM

Problem found

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...142bdcab2b.jpg
This is what it looked like when i popped the boot open.

NJTman 09-06-2019 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by AkM3chanic (Post 3364070)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...142bdcab2b.jpg
This is what it looked like when i popped the boot open.

DANG ! It took you 10 years to find it ????

Geesh !

:D

AkM3chanic 09-06-2019 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman (Post 3364074)
DANG ! It took you 10 years to find it ????

Geesh !

:D

Even with 230,000 miles on the truck it's only been this way for about a year. Fixed the other side before it went bad too.