Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Nitto Terra Grappler's (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/nitto-terra-grapplers-127369/)

VaultRam 12-10-2006 09:55 PM

Nitto Terra Grappler's

I have re-searched here on the forum and can't find any info on how long they will last. I tow 5k-10k about 90% of the time and am torn between the BFG A/T(285/70/17) and the Nitto's(295/70/17)!! Main concern is how long do the Nitto's last?

PADZZ 12-10-2006 10:25 PM

I've got about 22K miles on mine. I'm guessing atleast another 15K or so.

ShawnQ 12-10-2006 10:40 PM

I've got 17K on mine and they are well over 1/2 tread, probably over 3/4 tread.

I've been very impressed with them...but I don't tow much. I'm offroad in the sand almost every weekend and they haven't let me down yet. I like 'em a lot better than the BFG's I had on my other truck.

SQ

gatf4 12-10-2006 11:02 PM

I'll be lucky to get 40k out of mine. Someone who drives more highway may get longer tread life than me. They've been a nice tire and they are smooth with decent traction. I'll be switching to a 35" more agressive tire soon. Good luck ,For what it's worth, I'm not a fan at all of the BFG.

Hunter11 12-11-2006 07:04 AM

I had the Nittos on my 01 and 90% of my driving is highway. They lasted 32k miles before I replaced them. I might have gotten another 5k out of them but decided to get them replaced while I could get a good deal on some new tires. The traction was good with them but they just didn't last.

djbikeman 12-11-2006 07:46 AM

I have run both tires you are looking for the last 2 years. I currently have the Nitto's on and they only have about 1/4-3/8" tread left after 35k miles. They are great tires in every other aspect, but they wear out a little quicker.

The BFG's I ran had more tread than that after 45k miles. My next set of tires will be the BFG AT's again. They last 20-25% longer. Also, I'd take the BFG's in snow anytime over the Nitto's. The Nitto may be a better sand tire because it is wider, but it doesn't have the bite in the snow that the BFG's have.

bkrukow 12-11-2006 06:53 PM

I had the Nittos in the size you are looking at and currently have the BF in the size you are looking at. No dought the BF is lasting far longer than the Nitto. I am hard on tires. I never keep exact track of miles on them but the BFs have definatly out performed the Nittos i had on. I probobly will not go with either of them when I replace these. The BF is NOT a very good towing tire in my opinion. They wear real fast when loaded. If you run around empty all the time then they would be great but for towing my toy hauler they just dont stand up to it. To be fair I bought both sets used from the same guy. The Nittos he bought on a set of rims from his budie and the BFs where his personal set. The budie of his was real hard on them and did a lot of burnouts so there first 10K miles where hard ones. I only got anouther 10-12 K out of them and they where bald. I am baseing my opinion of the Nittos on how fast they wore after I gott them. They had a decent amount of tread on them when I bought them and they where bald fast. They where like skis in the snow ta boot. The BFs are much better in the snow and have lasted more than twice as long as the Nittos so far and will still go anouther 20-30K depending on how much I tow my toy hauler in those miles. Like I said the BFs are great empty but wear faster than I feel they should with a load on them. I bought the Nittos and the rims in my pics for $500 plus my crapy factory steel wheels so I dident realy care how long they lasted. I then bought the BFs for $100 a peice with only 5K on them so I dont realy care if they last for ever. They where cheap.

03qclb5spd 12-11-2006 11:04 PM

I have had 2 sets now on my 3rd of nittos and put well over 20k on each set with a bit over half the tread remaining when I sold the trucks they were on. My current set is 305/55/20 and I paid 760 for them used on Ebay through Discounttiredirect auctions. They advertised them to be used with 15/16th tread remaining but they came to the house and all of them still had prominent remains of the tireTits..

jeffahart 12-11-2006 11:18 PM

I had to replace my BFGs because they were dry rotting. They had about 45,000 and I feel I could have gotten another 10k if not for the dry rotting. I now have nitto's and they have about 15K and I'll be lucky to another 20K. They are not wearing well at all!

Jeff

03qclb5spd 12-11-2006 11:22 PM

I noticed my Nittos lost air pretty quick. Keep them inflated, check them at least every couple of weeks.

West Coast 12-11-2006 11:26 PM

Pro Comps

I purchased a set of 315 pro comps and are very happy....

http://www.procomptires.com/allterrain.html

http://www.proworkz.com/br.png

Very quite. Very stable even when towing 14K plus. Great braking on wet pavement. Excellent snow and ice tires.

Plus a 50,000 mile warranty.....

Dave

thejeepdude 12-12-2006 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by djbikeman (Post 1246498)
The Nitto may be a better sand tire because it is wider, but it doesn't have the bite in the snow that the BFG's have.

Actually, now that BFG has the 305/65 E-rated tire, they finally have a tire that should float alright on the sand, without the extra height. It's just as tall as the 285/70 but 20mm wider! I'm still looking for someone who has tried them, but even if not, I'm probably going to buy them in a few days as my OEM Long Trail POS donuts have finally bit the dust! BTW, snow is the precise reason why I'm sticking with BFG's even though I'd really like to try something else.