3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

XM Satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XM Satellite radio

Does anyone have the Roady XM radio reciever mounted in thier truck? I got one of these today and I cant seem to find a good place to mount it without a bunch of wires hanging from it. I put the antenna in the middle of the dash as far forward as it would go so I wouldnt have to mount it outside, and I have the reciever head velcroed to the dash temporarily until I decide what to do with it. If anyone has pictures in their gallery, I'd like to see them please. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:52 AM

I don't have any pics, but I mounted mine on the right side of radio/temp. Flat spot below r-center vent. I then ran the wires under the hook. I ran my antenna up the r-side windshield piller & outside on roof. (If I had to do it again, I would run the antenna out the rear cab brake light.) Mine is the Delfi removeable unit, not the roady.
Hope this helps,
Later, Jeromie
Old 05-24-2005, 10:29 AM

I've got the Roady, but no pics. I have mine mounted just above & to the left of the ash tray (right below the other outlet). It doesn't get in my way, but if you're tall you might bump your right knee on it.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:57 AM

I don't have the xm but I do have the sirius. Check out my pics of my install. Came out pretty clean.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:23 PM

I have a Myfi xm radio and I mounted it with the bracket that clips into the air vent. Mine is mounted just to the right of the driver and the antenna wire is hooks on the rear view mirror and is hidden behind the visor on the way to out the door and on the roof. (the antenna attaches with a strong magnet). I plug the power into the lower cigarette lighter receptacle and most of the cords are reasonably out of the way.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:20 AM

Here is my SkyFi.

Here is what I used:

Pro Fit VSM mount
Old 05-25-2005, 12:31 AM
Chapter President

I have the roady2 in mine, pretty clean I think. In my member photos...
tom
Old 05-25-2005, 01:58 AM

Thanks for the responses. I like what you have Big Bob. If I remember right they carry that mount at Best Buy. Where did you get yours? Hey Travist, what kind of mount is that, and where can I get one? Im thinking Ill go with one of these.

I like RSSSLS1s idea of mounting the antenna outside via the brake light, but it seems to work fine (around Houston anyway) velcroed to the front of the dash, and it looks like it would be easy to hide the wire. Some of my travels take me to the mountains in the northeast, and I have to wonder how this will work up there. When I get everything the way I want it, Ill post pics. Just got the wife a new Dodge Magnum to mount the free one in. (hope it keeps her out of my truck!)
Old 05-25-2005, 12:13 PM

brassnadz,

The mount that I used is one that came with the tuner. It used to have a suction cup that would attatch to the windshield. I just cut that portion off flush so that I still had the ball and socket for adjustment and the attatched it from the back side of the dash and then just shortened the power cord to fit the short distance to the lighter socket. The other two wires are just routed through the dash. If you go the portable route like that I would recommend the pei electronics interface. This gives you an auxillary input through your cd port on the back of the radio so that you can plug your sat directly to the radio and not use the fm modulator. I found that the modulator worked ok but there was still a bit of static and you don't want to ruin clear sat radio music with static.

TRAVIST
Old 05-25-2005, 01:51 PM

I think Ill look at the mount for the Sirrius and see if it can be modded to work with the roady.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:55 PM

TRAVIST : Where can i find the "pei electronics interface" you are talking about . My XM has so much static at times i want to throw the SkyFi out the window LoL
Old 05-25-2005, 05:53 PM

Try this link http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piechry02aux they run about $70 bucks but in my opinion it's well worth the money just for the sound quality.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by 05CTD600
TRAVIST : Where can i find the "pei electronics interface" you are talking about . My XM has so much static at times i want to throw the SkyFi out the window LoL
Are you running your XM in a wired or wireless mode? You shouldn't have any noise in a wired config, and could get some if you choose a non-optimum freq in a wireless mode.

I've never had any issues in the Toll-Booth State; can't remember any problems in NYC either - but I like to avoid driving the Dodge in the city.

Here's a good place to post those XM related questions, or at least search thru the existing posts for issues like you're having:
http://www.xmfan.com/index.php
Old 05-26-2005, 09:08 PM

At Best Buy today I found an XM Radio head unit , CD player, AF/FM with AUX outlet. 52Wx4. $129.00 which includes the XM tuner and antenna. All I had to do was pay the $45 for installing the XM tuner (Best Buy installs head units for free) pay for the face plate adapter and wiring harness. Total including tax was $240. The sound is better than that from the OEM head unit. The unit is a Dual XMP7000. Even has a removable face plate.

You can see the unit at www.bestbuy.com
Old 05-27-2005, 07:37 AM

I have the same setup as Big Bob,only I mounted mine on the left side of the radio using the stock mount with the double sided tape. Works fine,I did go with the hard wire kit from Best Buy to eliminate hiss when you get near the radio freguency.I did use the stock magnetic antenna and mounted it on the roof between the doors.The only thing to remember is to thoughly clean the area of the dash where you want to apply the tape.

Quick Reply: XM Satellite radio