3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

accessing cigar lighter wire

Old 01-22-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
accessing cigar lighter wire

I want to get at the cigar lighter wire to use it as a feed for my pyrometer.
Anyone know the way to take off the plastic that covers it? I have a 6 spd with that fllor cup holder thing. I'm wondering if I need to take the flor console off to get at the screws on the bottom of the center dash part?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:10 PM

On my 06 auto I had to remove all the floor pieces to get at the two screws at the bottom of the trim. I think next time I will leave them out(the screws).
Old 01-22-2007, 07:15 PM

Yah, the 06's are a pain alright.
Got the whole floor thing apart, got the bottom piece off in the middle (whiuch is the cup holder in auto trucks I think) but you still can't access the wire to the lighter. Above that is a piece that goes all the way to the pass side...
Old 01-22-2007, 08:28 PM

Fisherguy once you remove the cupholder part there should be 2 phillips head screws at the bottom of that part. Once removed pull straight down on that section and it should pop out. Once that is out the front dash(wood grain) is next. If you get down under the center section you will be able to see/feel 2 holes with phillips head screws in them. When they are removed carefully PULL out on that part and it should pop out and there you are.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:15 PM

Yah, went to the book and that's what it said. I was a litle worried when prying it out with my "trim stick C-4755 or equivalent" (I used a screwdriver).

I was worried about breaking something but eventually it cam off. Found some extra wires back there too, those must be for my missing cup holder light, heated seats, slider and stuff?

Thanks
Will
Old 01-24-2007, 10:59 AM

I thought that those wires would be for the cup holder light too. I went to the dealer to order the light, but he asked for the last nine of the vin and told me that I dont have the factory wireing.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the wire color was pink with yellow stripe. The wire is in the bundle where your left foot rests when driving. There are about 20 or so wires. I tapped into that and works perfect, almost a year now.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:41 AM

MB, that's news to me, too bad though.
I thought if your truck doesn't have the 'light group' the wiring is all there and all we gotta do is plug in, like the under hood light, I don't have one but the wiring is there. I DO need a light for the cupholders still.

Fox, I found the wire there, tested it with a meter and all that but still wanted to get the feed from the lighter. Don't really like using those 'crimp on' things and didn't want to use one there, I'd rather hide it behind the panel, but I'm a little **** that way!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:51 PM

I got my wire for the cigar lighter at the fuse box. You can tap before it goes into the bottom of box. . I drilled a small hole in the side where the mounting screw is closest to the battery and fender well. rubber grommet and attached to fuse leg . I also used an in-line fuse. Took about 15 minutes. Too cold to be bending plastic. Brought wire through the firewall with the other stuff for the gauge.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:47 PM

Fisherguy I have 2 sets of lights that are behind the a/c controls that are just there doing nothing. I probed the wires while turning on and off the lights and nothing registered. I'm thinking about buying the light from the dealer (13 + tax) anyway and making it work. I wanted to see a picture of the plug from the light because I know what the plugs on the wires that are there look like. I checked and I do have the wires for the glove box light, but I could care less about that compared the cup holder light. PM me if you find anything out on this d--n thing.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:26 PM

Okay, from what I can see in the manual it should be a 20 gauge white/gray wire. I'll send you a PM, can email you the schematic.