3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

newbie wants to know what year to buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie wants to know what year to buy

Never owned a dodge truck before, but for about 20k Ive noticed you can get a nice fairly low mileage (less than 100,000 miles) 2003-2004 with ext cab. I like the back seat area of the 2003's on up. I guess what Im asking is what years are good, what to look out for, Auto transmission or stick? And in general just reliability issues. Ive always heard that on dodge trucks the front end and transmissions were/are their weak link? any comments and or suggestions would be much appreciated.
I pull a 30' fith wheel with a jeep in tow behind that just about every where I go.

Scott
Old 02-19-2007, 09:04 AM

I love mine, and if you get one you will wonder why you didnt do it a long time ago. The new 48RE transmissions are fine as long as your not turning them up. They are just like every other truck, your gonna have something break eventually! However unlike every other truck, you will have a reliable and powerful cummins under the hood!! Not to mention you get a really cool Cummins emblem on the side that will make the Chevy and Dorf people jealous! This is just my opinion, and your mileage may vary!
Old 02-19-2007, 03:57 PM

FixaJet,

Fill out your signature so people know more about you like your location and what truck etc you will have in the future. I am also an airline mechanic for Continental Airlines. I have no clue if you re on the other side of the world.

Joe
Old 02-19-2007, 05:13 PM

Check out the Classifieds Section for possible trucks for sale in your area!

Joe
Old 02-19-2007, 05:14 PM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ieds/index.php

Here is the link!

Joe
Old 02-19-2007, 06:45 PM

if your going to be towing that heavy definitely get a 6 speed
Old 02-20-2007, 01:45 PM

ok a little more info for ya SHC. Delta amt at slc. I currently pull my setup with an 93 chev ext cab 4x4 with the 6.5 td. I must admit for an old truck and 1rst generation of the diesels, it does a pretty good job. Ive got it tweaked out about the best I can do, but even with my water injection setup, pulling some of the mountain roads around here the best I can do is 35-45 mph.
When Delta comes out of bankruptcy this April things financially should get a little better for me so Im thinking time for a truck upgrade. I really like the reliability and hp of the cummins engine, its the rest of the truck Im worried about. Thats why Im posting to find out whats the best transmission dodge has for pulling, the auto or stick. And in general what other gotcha things to look at for when buying a used dodge diesel. I know nothing about the dodges so lets say you were going to buy a used one for around 20k$ what year should I be looking at. It has to be 4x4 and extended cab are my only requirements.

thx
Scott