3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

My impressions after disabling ABS

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RVT223
Here is an easy way to see which is best inspite of improved "feel". Find a place and see what the total stopping distance (distance measured from the time pressure is applied to the brake until achieving a complete stop) on varying surfaces is with and without the ABS activated. My bet is that ABS will stop a vehicle in a far shorter distance than anyone of us is capable of doing so "manually". The computer monitors impending skid at all four wheels and is able to control braking force to all four brakes independently of one another, something no human can do. There are a few situations where ABS will allow a wheel(s) to lock, but those are limited to very slow speed conditions, usually at or below 3mph. Granted some people don't like the feel of ABS or other dynamic control systems. But machines are far more capable of better handling vehicles than humans are. There are scenarios where a machine programmed more towards safety may not allow certain things such as wheel spin or wheel lock, we've all been there where steering with your foot is better than not being able to. But on the whole ABS does improve vehicle control...one can mash the brake as hard as they want and still make large control inputs without fear of upsetting vehicle control or stability. And that is a safety and control improvement no matter which way you look at it.
Regards
The only vehicles that I know of that are on the road today that can control each individual wheel braking with ABS is high end sports cars which also have handling controls of some sort. I'm sorry, but ABS is just to unrefined. The other day I was going very gradually around a corner (10mph) and the truck went sideways on me (I think I hit some ice), I let off the throttle and lightly touched the brake pedal and the freaking ABS kicked on and I dang near hit the mailbox and another truck. This is something I've done hundreds of times before without ABS and never had a problem. The ABS actually allowed my truck to keep rolling forward instead of bringing me to a halt like I wanted.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ABS.....gives the driver the ability to hit what they are aiming at.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:57 AM

My abs system works so well it's on all the time, had to pull the fuse to get the pump to stop running, just driving along and the pump came on, dealer scan says i need a new abs module to the tune of around 800.00 bucks installed, i have never used the abs once since i got the truck, now there's money well spent I did learn that the code scan that you do with the key on 3 times will not pick up brake problems, gota go to the dealer for their scan, o well at least i know what i am getting for xmas
For us older guys that are programmed before abs it is not much good, on my previous truck with abs working, the first time i got into a emergency situation my old habits kicked in and i started pumping the brake a little and at the same time steering around the other vehicle avoiding the collision( frigin lane changers)

rob
Old 12-13-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've read through this whole thread and haven't seen the first mention of front-to-rear brake bias. To achieve balanced front-to-rear braking, the braking force supplied by the rear tires must vary greatly between unloaded and fully loaded conditions. In the old pre-ABS days, this was done with devices such as the ride height sensor that varied hydraulic pressure going to the rear brakes. With ABS, this can be done automatically by the ABS computer.

So, when the ABS is disconnected, how is front-to-rear brake bias achieved?

Rusty
Old 12-13-2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by John Rodriguez
I just moved the fuse to position2 (blank). Without ABS it definetly stops harder. The brakes actually _feel_ good at that position wether they're gripping or locked up. I had a very fast sportscar with the best brakes in the world (lancer evolution w/ 350whp) and disabled ABS on them too. That car would stand up when braking hard. All the nay-sayers need to go pull the fuse and go for a ride. If you don't like it, it takes all of 30 seconds to put it back in.
Geeze, but it is good to read others say what I have known for several years now. I knew how dangerous ABS was on my wifes GMC, and was really saddened to find it was just as terrible and dangerous on my 04.5 QC.
I can't believe that the previously mentioned scumbag (class-action variety) lawyers have not bankrupted every US automaker by now.
ABS is far more likely to injure or kill you than save you. When I added or started a post on the subject some time back, I was poo-pooed by some stating that it was my imagination. I've got news for you doubters: I have owned a race shop for 25 year, race, rent, prep, test & tune, build, and set up race cars in addition to instructing. There are situations such as what JOHN mentioned on bumpy gravel roads where the vehicle will hardly even slow down with the ABS, taking 5, 10, or more times the actual distance to bring you to a stop. I really like the idea of putting a burned fuse in the slot......Good Thinking, and Thanks.
Some of the Euro and Jap cars seem to have the ABS down pat, but I think it is ironic that some insurance companies give a discount for these defective systems.
I am crazy about this truck, as I am about being able to walk and function without any crumpled body parts of my own, so I will continue driving withOUT the "aid" of a junk system dictated on me by a bunch of bureacratic morons.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by RustyJC
I've read through this whole thread and haven't seen the first mention of front-to-rear brake bias. To achieve balanced front-to-rear braking, the braking force supplied by the rear tires must vary greatly between unloaded and fully loaded conditions. In the old pre-ABS days, this was done with devices such as the ride height sensor that varied hydraulic pressure going to the rear brakes. With ABS, this can be done automatically by the ABS computer.

Rusty
From what I read in the manual it gets chucked out the window.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by J BODY
ABS.....gives the driver the ability to hit what they are aiming at.

Funny, but so true.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Tire Hater

Well, another day driving fast and having some fun. Today I did some 60mph tests, and let me tell you, it sure is fun. My truck's front weight is alot more than the rear (5000front/2800 rear) and the fronts lockup slightly before the rears. Stops great after you remember how to actually USE your brakes.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:35 PM

Guys, Not all ABS stinks but ours does. If we had a true 4 channel real time brake modulator for the ABS you could not stop faster. What we have is dual channel ABS. If one of the wheels on that channel loses traction the modulator pulsates the fluid which typically shifts the braking to the other channel which because the most effective stopping is on the channel that isn
t currently pulsing those two wheels doing most of the braking lose traction then it pulses and all of a sudden all wheels are pulsing and braking remains controlled but far away from threshold braking. There is no way for ABS to be faster to slow or shorter stopping distances than educated and practiced threshold braking. Even if you skid and release and reapply the braking you will stop faster. On the huge discs and pads on these trucks if you mash the pedal to the floor the rear tires may lose traction but the fronts will dig in until the pavement gives up. With Dual channel ABS when you hit the brakes without a load on the back, one or both of the rears will easily lose traction and then the fronts are reduced to 50% brake application time. I'm going to check it out but I'm not going to flat spot my tires to prove a known fact. ks
Old 12-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by John Rodriguez
Or t-boned a mom in a minivan with her 7 children with your 8000lb truck....
Thats pretty much what happened to me when the kid in the mini van turned across traffic right in front of me...I hit the brakes and it grabbed then it started rolling more and the good ole buzz of the abs and then BANG.
I had all sorts of time in my mind to stop without hitting him.
I was unable to swerve left as there was a car right beside me.
I was unable to go right as there where 3 kids [witnesses] in the crosswalk that I had time to honk the horn for...probably saved at least one from getting hit.

So braking from 40KMH or about 25 mph, I should have slowed somewhat and I still totaled the van. The engine was knocked out of place, hood dented upwards, right front wheel broke off, a rip from headlight to tail light from the Road armor bumper and only the drivers side sliding door would open for the kid to get out. The windshield popped out and strangely enough...no air bags went off.

John, did you notice I corrected my text on the other post I made?

Thanks for pointing out that confusing line.

Scotty
Old 12-13-2005, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by RustyJC

Rusty
I would imagine the way it always has been done, through a proportioning valve, 99% of the time the abs function never comes into play.

rob
Old 12-13-2005, 02:37 PM

[QUOTE=HaulinBut]There are situations such as what JOHN mentioned on bumpy gravel roads where the vehicle will hardly even slow down with the ABS, taking 5, 10, or more times the actual distance to bring you to a stop.[QUOTE]

When driving out in the desert, you cant even stop if your ABS is on. The truck will just roll and roll. With out ABS, the front will dig in to the dirt/sand stoping you instantly.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:16 PM

I know this is the 3rd Gen forum, but ABS is even worse on 2nd Gens that have Rear-Only ABS.

Basically we get the worst of both worlds, reduced braking and we still can't steer
Old 12-13-2005, 04:04 PM

Great Site Here

I'm learning things about this new truck every day from this site. I've never had ABS brakes before, but I will do some playing around now for sure. These letters remind me of the brand new Kenworth I had back in "73" or "74". This lump had a throttle called an "aneroide type". I was up in San Francisco on a hill and went to take off, released the trailer brake and the throttle decided it didn't want to play anymore either. Just like these brakes sound. Thanks guys for the heads up.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:17 PM

I have a question. I unplugged the fuse last night and sure enough I like it better, but, Is there anyway to get rid of the idiot lights on the dash? My ABS light came on and so did my E-brake light.

Quick Reply: My impressions after disabling ABS