3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

My Baby is being BORN!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:My Baby is being BORN!

Hey Boss Hog - you're almost there, bro. ;D

I've never adjusted my speedo in the past doing the same thing. My calculations show the new tire will have a 9% larger diameter than the stock tire. Knowing that, I can mentally adjust for speed. Just to be sure, I'll use my GPS to confirm my calculations.

The dealer can recalibrate the speedos (actually they recalibrate the way the computer reads the sensors). Some here will probably point out that not recalibrating could throw off the ABS and other functions that rely upon accurate speed readings. Though I agree, I've not experienced such problems in the past. If I do, I guess I'll rethink my stance.

I'll be using my original wheels to mount the new tires so take-offs won't be an issue this time around. On prior vehicles, I've tended to keep the take-offs since it's hard to get much money out of 'em (unless they're special like the alum option). Besides, it's nice to have an extra set of wheels to mount mudders or other special use tires on. eh?

Best to y'all
Bill
Old 10-23-2002, 09:42 PM

Utah and Boss<br><br>It will not only throw off the speedo but the odometer as well, so you can't get correct fuel mileage reports. Not sure what it will do to the onboard computer also.<br><br>As for buying the takeoffs, at least on my SRW 3500 the &quot;takeoffs&quot; would be very spendy E rated Michelin tires and most tire people would have no problem buying them I am told.<br><br>But, I am gonna run the stock tires for bit until Toyo comes out with a 17&quot; E rated tire, then it will be Toyos. They are to die for and never wear out and never go flat on one side! (Had many E Toyos in the past)<br><br>Hunter
Old 10-24-2002, 11:49 AM

Hey Utah, Congrats on the birth of the 03 youngin. Now comes the hard part, knowing its headed for West Valley but not having that magic Key in your hands. It will drive you crazy with anticipation. When you turn that key for the first time and hear that Cummins purr like a contented kitten you'll know it was worth the wait.

By the way, the 03 does turn heads, not by the noise but by its good looks and that bic &quot;C&quot; on the front fenders. Then comes the next qquestion, &quot;Does it have the new HEMI&quot;? Guess Dodge has done a good job of associating their name with HEMI and CUMMINS, The average mind puts all three together.

Hunter, I saw a post on one of the other Forums which stated that if a tire change takes place when there is an automatic tranny involved, the memory must be reflashed to have the proper shift points. The D-max dealers can't reflash their to make speedo correction, it must be done by aftermarket dealers. I wonder if it becomes a warranty issue? :'(
Old 10-24-2002, 12:50 PM

;D Thanks, boys. You're always helpful.<br><br>Best to y'all<br>Bill
Old 10-27-2002, 09:12 PM

Just bought 03' diesel dually-tommorrow gets 3&quot; lift and ordered also 35&quot; bfg radials. Bfg's are quiet and smooth ride and handle 3150 lbs each tire.Utah-I'm also from utah,Orem as a matter of fact!!See you around!!