Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Locking Fuel Cap (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/locking-fuel-cap-220993/)

Dynocon 10-22-2008 07:00 PM

Locking Fuel Cap

Those using locking caps, any brand better than the others?

I have seen Fram, Stand, Mopar.

Thanks

spitfire9137 10-22-2008 08:37 PM

I know this isnt what you want to hear, but you are probably better off without the locking cap. If someone really wants your fuel they are going to get it, locking cap or not. With the locking cap it will just make them cut the fill neck or worse, drill a hole in the tank.

yfz450guy 10-22-2008 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dynocon (Post 2252538)
Those using locking caps, any brand better than the others?

I have seen Fram, Stand, Mopar.

Thanks

mopar, they aren't that spendy.

raceguy13 10-23-2008 04:47 AM

i know my standt doesn't really lock. All you do is push down or pull up and it will come off.

67HotRod 10-23-2008 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire9137 (Post 2252717)
I know this isnt what you want to hear, but you are probably better off without the locking cap. If someone really wants your fuel they are going to get it, locking cap or not. With the locking cap it will just make them cut the fill neck or worse, drill a hole in the tank.

I had some fuel stolen over the summer, they got it from the filler neck. My buddy had a locking cap, they drilled a hole in his tank. Its your truck....

Dodgezilla 10-23-2008 07:04 AM

I had some dirtballs use a putty knife to scrape a hole in the fuel tank in one of our delivery trucks. $1300 for a fuel tank for a newer GMC Cab & Chassis.....:o

I have a locking Stant I bought from Genos. It works OK but if you turn the key too hard the cylinder will come right out of the cap.....

CD in NM 10-23-2008 09:53 AM

Locking fuel door and locking cap might be a better idea, building a good skid plate and protection for the tank and related parts a real + because they don't siphon like in the past, they just punch a hole - it's easier and faster.

They'll get what they want any way they can, you have to have obstacles that would take too much time to circumvent. Real shame we have to do all this stuff isn't it?

CD

johnh 10-23-2008 10:04 AM

somebody let me know if you can get a siphon hose in the tank , for some reason i cannot

MikeyB 10-23-2008 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by johnh (Post 2253332)
somebody let me know if you can get a siphon hose in the tank , for some reason i cannot

There's a rollover valve that will prevent a hose from going into the tank.

MikeyB

Dynocon 10-23-2008 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 67HotRod (Post 2253130)
I had some fuel stolen over the summer, they got it from the filler neck. My buddy had a locking cap, they drilled a hole in his tank. Its your truck....

So did they cut it between the cap and tank?

If there is a valve that prevents a siphon hose, the only thing the locking cap keeps out is foreign objects?

Ram Daddy 10-23-2008 03:33 PM

"the only thing the locking cap keeps out is foreign objects?"

...Yep.

A few years back , when the hurricanes blew through here (4 of them in a few weeks!) , we were trying to siphon fuel out of the totaled cars we had out back ( I work in a bodyshop) to use for our generators , and never got a drop out of ANY of them.

I wouldn`t even bother with a locking cap.

johnh 10-23-2008 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB (Post 2253478)
There's a rollover valve that will prevent a hose from going into the tank.

MikeyB

so, what's the point in a locking cap??[duhhh]
i have a locking cap on my auxillary tank which doesn't have a ball in the neck[coffee]

RDM16CTD 10-23-2008 09:48 PM

I use a locking cap (the Mopar one) to keep someone from putting something into the tank - either vandalism, or a well meaning family member putting in gasoline.

rjm022 10-23-2008 10:48 PM

i had a friend at one time who kept getting his 5gal jug of gas stolen from the bed of his pickup.. after the third time this happened. he put 2 pounds of sugar in his next 5gal jug. he found out the next day-you had been stealing his gas, when a neighborhood punk was pushing his car past his house! punks!

AkitaSumo 10-24-2008 09:09 AM

Now that's priceless!!! I am suprised with the lawyers we have today that your friend was not sued for this...seems to me these days that the criminals have more rights then the law abiding citizens...[coffee]