Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Lamp out light (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/lamp-out-light-111998/)

mijpa 08-07-2006 09:18 PM

Lamp out light

For the last 2 days i hear the alarm dinging away but nothing on the dash has been lighting up to make me aware of to what's alarming.

Then the lamp out light started flashing. I've checked everwhere for a burnt up bulp but all the lights are working. Anyone have any ideas as what to look for?

Hillbilly_Deluxe 08-07-2006 09:55 PM

test ur Brake Lights? I had that Happen in my Hemi the other day, became a real pain in the butt while driving.

mijpa 08-07-2006 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Adair2K5
test ur Brake Lights? I had that Happen in my Hemi the other day, became a real pain in the butt while driving.

A Pain in the butt doesn't give it justice. I was about 3seconds from going postal!!! The brake lights are fine. all lights are running

bubba33 08-08-2006 12:06 AM

Replace the bulbs in the tail lights .I have had this happen before.

TexasCTD 08-08-2006 01:16 AM

This sensor can tell that the light bulbs are about to go out, even before they do. Just replace your rear bulbs and it should solve it.

Also, in my case....i checked one of my taillight bulbs once and noticed that part of the bulb was lighting but another filiment in the bulb was not. It is just one of those things that will have to be replaced from time to time, but it warns you in some cases before the bulb actually goes out.

mijpa 08-08-2006 09:15 AM

Thanks guys. I will replace the bulbs. I would assume all 3 brake lights?

bubba33 08-08-2006 09:18 AM

third brake light on the cab should be ok.

Dodgezilla 08-08-2006 02:42 PM

Mine is doing this for the third time in 3 years... Yes it gets irritating after a while. I'll be replacing a bunch of bulbs yet again..... [guitar]

handymantim 08-08-2006 02:43 PM

The lamp out indicator doesn't look at the 3rd brake light. It only looks at the headlights (high and low), the turn signals, and the 2 fender brake lights.

Do a search for "lamp out." You will have all your questions answered.

mijpa 08-08-2006 04:23 PM

I guess I'll just replace them all. Thanks for the info

handymantim 08-08-2006 04:38 PM

When you say "replace them all" do you mean the headlights too? If so, then it sounds like you didn't do your homework.

The common problem here is the brake lights. Some have even had to replace the circuit board in the taillight from excessive resistance and heat buildup. In this case replacing the bulbs won't help because the connection is already ruined.

mijpa 08-08-2006 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by handymantim
When you say "replace them all" do you mean the headlights too? If so, then it sounds like you didn't do your homework.

The common problem here is the brake lights. Some have even had to replace the circuit board in the taillight from excessive resistance and heat buildup. In this case replacing the bulbs won't help because the connection is already ruined.

Negatory. I meant both brake lights

Dodgezilla 08-09-2006 04:22 AM

I've had the Lamp Out light come on for the headlights too and it just comes on when the light is out, period. None of this on and off for two weeks stuff. If it's doing what you say then it's the taillights....