Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   ISO: Front Sun Screen 4 Arizona temps! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/iso-front-sun-screen-4-arizona-temps-242431/)

Lathe Guy 05-10-2009 01:52 PM

ISO: Front Sun Screen 4 Arizona temps!

115/120 degrees here in the summer. Two years ago I melted my gages. Last year I used a fold up sun screen and it was so hot the thing just collapsed in the window. I'm not looking for a remote controlled, bolt to the cab sun screen, but I don't want one from wally world either.

What are the good sun screens and where did you get them?

Thanks!

TexasCTD 05-10-2009 02:20 PM

I have had good luck keeping a dashmat on the dash....and using a "mirror shade" sun shade from Walmart.

and it also helps if you have vent visors on your windows....to always crack your windows a little bit. Keeping the windows rolled all the way up in the hot sun will make the truck 150+ degrees. (suffocating) With the windows cracked slightly it will keep the temp basically like ambient temp until you get the a/c going.

Danderson 05-10-2009 03:00 PM

I like the folding type from Auto Anything. They are custom fit and have a metallized surface on one side. They won't collapse. San Diego gets plenty hot in August and during Santa Ana's. It folds neatly and stores behind the seat.

mega-engr 05-11-2009 12:06 AM

I have the fold up one from Dodge and it is quit nice and protects well from the heat here in So Cal. Fits excellent, nice looking with the Dodge emblem.

DarkDesertCTD 05-11-2009 10:57 AM

I also have the Dodge one. Rolls up into a nice size roll and has a velcro strap to keep it closed. Fits the window really nicely and has done great to keep the sun out of my 06 and now the 08. I got it for about $ 26.00 at my dealer

Rednax 05-18-2009 01:01 PM

I have the one from the Dodge dealer. Has been fine here in Texas. Agreed about cracking windows. Luckily, new home in Corpus is never as hot as Dallas where an interior thermometer registered 160F in less than 15" . . with the windows open.

Previous owner added a tint strip across windshield top 6-inches. Recommended.

BroncoAZ 05-18-2009 04:52 PM

I've had decent luck with the sun shade ones that costco sells. The frame holds it in place and it still twists into a much smaller package to throw under the seat. I have been looking at the ones that mount on the pillars and then open like an accordian, but I'm not sure I could reach across to the passenger side to pull it across.

Living here sucks.

pdogg 05-18-2009 05:39 PM

it does? I've never had any issues with stuff melting ... and I park in full sun with no sun shade... but I do have a dashmat... very important.

I also keep my rear to the sun... and crack my rear windows an inch or so..

BroncoAZ 05-18-2009 06:00 PM

Yes, living in Phoenix sucks. If you always lived here and don't know any better, I understand your lack of knowledge, but it doesn't have to be this way. If I worked in an air conditioned office it might not be so bad, but as a field engineer I'm usually out in the hot. I feel that my recreation time is wasted four months of the year because the last thing I want to do is go back outside to the hot. The heat just sucks the energy right out of me.

I grew up in Tucson, then lived in Flagstaff for seven years, then back to Tucson for four more years before moving here. I've spent three miserable summers in PHX, at least two more before I can retreat to cooler climate. Tucson summers are not nearly as bad as the sprawling concrete metropolis that is PHX. They are still hot (usually 2-3 degrees cooler daytime), but it gets much cooler at night (low 80's) and they actually get monsoons in the city. The PHX concrete retains the heat enough that it stays 90+ at night and when the summer storms come it gets very humid but the rains are forced around the city by the heat bloom.

As hot as it is here I have never had issues with things melting in the truck, and I'm pretty bad about using the sun shield. I select parking spots based on the availability of shade, not proximity to where I need to go.

Lathe Guy 05-18-2009 08:08 PM

I purchased a "Heat Shield" from canvas works 29.00 on Ebay, and custom fit.

www.canvasworks.com/

For those of you wandering how I melted my gage. I have a dash mount from Geno's. I guess one day I had it parked just right and bubble bubble. Di-Pricol replaced the gage for free. I've used a sunshade ever since, until it had no life left in it.

One thing, the "Heat Shield" is awesome, no light gets in, but it's a bit of a pain putting in and out.

Thanks for all who responded.

pdogg 05-19-2009 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by BroncoAZ (Post 2483169)
Yes, living in Phoenix sucks. If you always lived here and don't know any better, I understand your lack of knowledge, but it doesn't have to be this way. .

ya, I lived in canada for 25 years... I know the other side of it..

I'll take the 4 months of heat anyday... I also lived in southern Louisiana for 2 years... and buddy you don't know hot until the humidity is 98% with 100 degrees...

txpig 05-19-2009 06:17 PM

I bought a CoverCraft UVS100 last spring and love it!! It's vehicle specific and fits very well. It fits so well there is no more than a 3/16" gap between the outside edges of the sun shade and the interior of the vehicle. It's about 1/4" thick which acts as an insulator with silver reflective fabric on the outside and a soft felt on the inside. It gets fairly hot in Texas but this in my windshield my dash gets no hotter than the interior temperature. I bought mine through Cabela’s and paid $50.00. I know it seems like a lot of money, but it’s worth every penny. I even bought one for my wife’s car. I assure you this thing aint no AutoZone POS, It's the real deal. If ya don’t believe me just read the 1500+ reviews on the link below!!!

http://www.autoanything.com/driving-...S|p|2729142548