3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Infamous Death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I have only known it to be a 4x4 problem...
Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 PM

OK guy's after spending a whole bunch of green backs to cure the DW I found out it boils down to a defective steering stabilizer from Rancho, model number RS5412 supposedly for my 3500 Ram, the dudes at rancho offered to replace it because they said that they didn't have enough oil in the shock, but we did what the guy's at Dave smith told us to do and that was go get the up graded steering stabilizer from dodge. I up graded the steering linkage because of wandering and put on the cheaper steering stabilizer from rancho thinking they were just as good or even better then the one from dodge, WRONG. anyway if you have replaced your steering stabilizer with a rancho and have the dreadful DW try and replace the rancho with mopar. Good Luck.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:31 PM

I have a 1990 dodge 1st gen cummins leaf spring front suspention and i have replaced the wheel studs, calipers, rotors, tie rod ends, drag link, gear box, leaf spring bushings all 6, kingpins all components wheel bearings both sides installed a stabalizer tried different tires and it still shakes so bad at 30 that you have to hit the breaks and hold on till it stops completely then try again and every 5 times i try i might get it above 30mph. it seams like every new part i put on it makes it more violent. it is my dd so i need something new to try.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 PM

Rancho stabilizer caused my death wobble, there junk

Like I said I have replaced a lot of stuff trying to fix that death wobble and after talking with Dave Smith motors in Idaho they said to replace the stabilizer with a dodge stabilizer. I am going to stay away from Rancho products because I spent a lot of money after putting their junky stabilizer on and it turned out the wobble was caused from their defective product. Go out and buy the dodge stabilizer and see if the wobble disappears and if you have a new rancho stabilizer take it off and throw the frigen thing in the garbage. Rancho is crap!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by irondan
Like I said I have replaced a lot of stuff trying to fix that death wobble and after talking with Dave Smith motors in Idaho they said to replace the stabilizer with a dodge stabilizer. I am going to stay away from Rancho products because I spent a lot of money after putting their junky stabilizer on and it turned out the wobble was caused from their defective product. Go out and buy the dodge stabilizer and see if the wobble disappears and if you have a new rancho stabilizer take it off and throw the frigen thing in the garbage. Rancho is crap!
X2. I bought the rancho when I upgraded the steering. 2 months later had DW. Replaced it with factory stabilizer and its gone.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM

I don't know about you but I spent another four to five hundred dollars trying to fix the DW after buying a new rancho stabilizer which I didn't need to spend. I assumed the rancho was a good product and didn't think it was the cause of the DW. If it wasn't for Dave Smith motors in Idaho telling me to throw out the rancho and go factory made stabilizer I was on the verge of giving up on the truck and going for a new one with out the DW.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:51 PM

So like it was said before it was my tires put another set on and its gone and 1st gen Dont come with stabalizors so anything is better
Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 AM

Well I have to add my problem to the list. I bought my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 in December of 2009. Nothing was tight in the front end. I never had a problem with the DEATH WOBBLE. In October of 2010 I replaced as follows:
A 2008 upgraded steering from Dodge, from the pitman arm to the both front wheels. I replaced the stock control arms with CARLI control arms, a Carli track bar. 2" leveling kit (DAYSTAR). Bilstien steering damper, and 4 Bilstien shocks. I put the SPINTEC lock out hubs. This past May I put 4 Carli ball joints in. I never had any problems until after I had to replace my steering gear box. I replaced the box about 3 weeks ago along with a steering stabilizer (not a damper). I took a trip to NY to my brothers to do some hunting, and I've made this trip many times with NO issues. I encountered a few bad spots in the road at 70 MPH and for the first time with this Dodge I experienced the DEATH WOBBLE! I came home, and it did it again! I replace the power steering pump last week, because the pump wouldn't turn the the wheels at a stand still. I brought the Dodge to my alignment man. I asked him if he would set the front end up to my requests, he said sure!. I did a bit of searching and found some specifications for the Dodge Rams with leveling kits from 2003 to present. I set the caster to 5.3 degrees + from 4.5 +. The total toe in is 10 degrees. My next step is to have the front tires checked for balance. I have about 4/32 left on the from tires. I checked the track bar, and it is fine. Let me remind everyone, my Dodge never did any of this stuff until I replaced the steering gear box! The sector shaft bushing was worn, and started to leak down the pitman arm. This is my story, and my problem at the present time. Not all DEATH WOBBLE is caused by a gear box, but I have to point my finger that way right now. All replies are welcome, good or bad. Thanks in advance,

Anthony C
Old 12-08-2012, 10:23 AM

Using HEIM joints on off-road suspension is like running in the sand dunes with no engine air filter. These HEIMs do not even come with the seals that are available in the after-market. So you go off roading in mud and sand - those unsealed HEIMs just suck that stuff up and grind away in there. All on road components should be sealed ball and cup joints like stock. Sorry for the hard stance here but I bought Hotchkiss arms for my 73 Challenger - beautiful designed components - with HEIMs! Best life expectancy is 12-16000miles on those HEIMS. If you get the greasable joints then they are weaker than the non-greasable units. Kind of defeats the purpose of what my fellow diesel listers are looking for no? HEIMs are for GoKarts and F1 cars IMHO.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeChallenger
Using HEIM joints on off-road suspension is like running in the sand dunes with no engine air filter. These HEIMs do not even come with the seals that are available in the after-market. So you go off roading in mud and sand - those unsealed HEIMs just suck that stuff up and grind away in there. All on road components should be sealed ball and cup joints like stock. Sorry for the hard stance here but I bought Hotchkiss arms for my 73 Challenger - beautiful designed components - with HEIMs! Best life expectancy is 12-16000miles on those HEIMS. If you get the greasable joints then they are weaker than the non-greasable units. Kind of defeats the purpose of what my fellow diesel listers are looking for no? HEIMs are for GoKarts and F1 cars IMHO.
Pardon?
Are you talking about Anthony's post?