3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Ignition switch / A/C blower motor issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ignition switch / A/C blower motor issues

Hey fellas. Have a couple of issues I'm needing help with.

1. A/C Blower motor will not run sometimes. Recirc and compressor buttons light up orange but no air moving. I can give it a little kick with my foot and it comes on and runs great. This usually happens when i crank the truck after it has been sitting for a few hours or overnight. I don't think this issue is connected with the one below but I could be wrong. I already changed the module that the blower plugs into. Thinking I will change the blower motor next.

2. A while back, I noticed the key switch was hard to turn backwards to acc position. It will go into acc but it feels like I'm going to break it. At the same time, I noticed that the blower motor will intermittently run with the key off. One time the blower came back on after I exited the truck and killed my batteries while it sat at work all day. I've been turning the blower **** to off just to keep that from happening again. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-06-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine did that once. Went to a baseball game, came out and the battery was dead. Hooked up jumper cables and the blower motor was on in the off position. I changed the ignition switch (not the key part) and it worked great!!
Old 04-09-2017, 05:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The fan blower gets - either directly on high or through the resistor block on lower speeds, and on trucks prior to 05.5 the + for the motor comes directly from the ignition switch.

There have been threads about charred connectors under the column covers, and failed ignition switches. Could be that stiff bearings or gummed up fans pull higher amps than designed.

Later trucks provide + to the fan from the power module.

Anyway, I'd look at the ignition switch and related connector for corrosion or signs of heat damage, and the fan motor for smooth/free rotation.