Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   I hear a "POP" when I turn left or right (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/i-hear-pop-when-i-turn-left-right-271735/)

bailer6334 06-14-2010 08:01 PM

I hear a "POP" when I turn left or right

I'm on the road, and just noticed a "POP" noise or like somthing is popping back into place when I turn the steering wheel left or right. I bought it used so don't have any maintenance history. I thought the 07's had a steering linkage? recall, not sure if mine was involved in this problem. No vibration at any speed. It is a "certified" vehicle, so I thought it would have been checked out by the dealership prior to having been "certified". Can someone give me any ideas as if I have a problem and what it might be and should I take it to a dealership? Thanks for the help

Colo_River_Ram 06-14-2010 08:30 PM

It could be.. ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link, knuckle u-joints or the dreaded cracked frame at the steering box..

Put the front end up on jack stands(if available - I see your on the road) and have someone turn it lock to lock for you while you inspect it underneath ..

Or take it to a front end shop or dealer (this may apply in your case) some will give you free estimates..

claymeis 06-19-2010 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by bailer6334 (Post 2784954)
I'm on the road, and just noticed a "POP" noise or like somthing is popping back into place when I turn the steering wheel left or right. I bought it used so don't have any maintenance history. I thought the 07's had a steering linkage? recall, not sure if mine was involved in this problem. No vibration at any speed. It is a "certified" vehicle, so I thought it would have been checked out by the dealership prior to having been "certified". Can someone give me any ideas as if I have a problem and what it might be and should I take it to a dealership? Thanks for the help

I have the exact same problem...07 5.9. Let me know if you figure it out!

j-fox 06-19-2010 03:54 PM

Any chance it is in 4X4???

bailer6334 06-19-2010 07:17 PM

Well I took it to the dealer and they found the bolts holding the step tubes were loose, so when the frame flexed it made the popping sound. They tightened the bolts and no more "POPPING".

claymeis 06-19-2010 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by j-fox (Post 2787906)
Any chance it is in 4X4???

Yes it is a 4x4!

No step tubes on mine...must be something else

gunmetal02 06-19-2010 11:22 PM

noticed my 04 doin it to..gonna check it out tomorrow

Jeff in TD 06-20-2010 09:50 AM

If it only does it while turning, the first thing I'd look at is the front axle U joints.