3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Hydrobooster / Master Cylinder / Power Steering Gearbox replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydrobooster / Master Cylinder / Power Steering Gearbox replacement

Hey guys my 05's steering box has had a very slow leak for years and when I got it checked out I was told by a Dodge Diesel tech that my Hydrobooster was going bad. At first I thought he was wrong, but my brakes have begun to get a bit "sticky" meaning that when I release the brake pedal sometimes it doesn't come up all the way (brakes are off) but it is enough to keep the trailer brakes activated. Huge pain in the but with a manual trying to get a 14k trailer going with its brakes on until i pull the brake pedal up with my foot or wait a few seconds for it to come up on its own. Also sometimes when I press on the pedal there is a lot of resistance at first before it finally lets go and the brakes come on hard (so it is impossible to just barely push on the brakes, nothing will happen, just a stiff pedal)

So my hydrobooster must be going bad which is causing the gearbox leak and brake issues (appearantly the hydrobooster is somehow overpressurizing something in the system causing a leak on top of the ps gearbox while turning the wheel)

So if I replace my hydrobooster, I'll need a new master cylinder correct? I'll also need to replace my power steering gearbox because it is shot.

Does anyone know the part #s I need and the best place to buy them? I'm going to go with Redhead for the PS gearbox. I also have a PSC steering brace I haven't installed yet.

Thanks for any input

Old 11-28-2010, 12:12 AM

No input guys? I can't seem to find much info anywhere on this site or the net as far as hyrdroboosters go. I can't even really find any one that sells them. Do they just called them brake boosters? My truck is getting to the point that it is almost not safe to drive so I need some help.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2010, 09:37 PM

CTD did you ever get this problem resolved. I think I am having the same issue.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:47 PM

Not yet, finding a hydrobooster seems to be a lot harder than I thought. One problem seems to be that they are called anything from hydrobooster to hydrabooster to brake booster with hydraboost, etc... So searching for it doesn't work well.

A guy on this site gave me this link

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

seems like a good deal to me, but who knows
Old 12-21-2010, 03:54 PM

That link did not work. I need to replace my hydrobooster and master cylinder. I will either replace it w/ an OEM part, or is there an after market hydrobooster and master cylinder that is better?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No info on the hydrobooster, but FWIW, the pump and gear box can be had from Napa. Napa lists the box and pump for gas engine trucks only, but it is the same parts as the diesels and ALOT cheaper than the dealer with lifetime warranty on both. About $150 for the steering box and $50 for the pump.