3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Help with Test drive of 2007 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:46 AM

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Help with Test drive of 2007 5.9

Looking for help to checkout and test drive possibly a 2007 5.9L I am interested in purchasing in the Dallas area. Curious to find out things to look out for with a vehicle like this. 187k miles on the vehicle. Thinking about purchase and having it sipped to me. Any and all help, help being the key word, is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Frustrated:

First of all, Welcome to the website!

To your question about buying that 2007 Dodge CTD CR Pickup there are several things I would check. First off, ask the current owner about ANY maintenance records (i.e. oil and transmission changes, warranty work that may have been done, any problems the truck has had etc.) I would absolutely ask the seller to let you drive the truck. Before driving start the truck cold and look for any signs of engine wear such as blue or white smoke at idle. Snap the throttle to see what the tailpipe shows when you do that. When you drive the truck feel for any looseness or rattling from the front end. The 2nd and 3rd Gen Dodge CTD Pickups are notorious for having front end issues, including the dreaded "death wobble" where the front end will shake and vibrate at certain speeds. At 187,000 miles I would ask about the injectors and the auto transmission if it is not a manual. The overall condition of the truck should tell you a lot about the previous owners care of the truck. Lastly, see if you can locate somebody at your local Dodge Dealer to run the trucks VIN number for a maintenance history from Dodge.

Hope that helps you some. Good luck Sir!

---------
John_P
The following users liked this post:
FrustratedFirst (05-21-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I agree with John. I also look for signs of a tuner, such as an EGT gauge, extra wiring under the hood near the fuse box, velcro on the fuse box cover, or small holes drilled into the trim.

Evidence of a tuner isn't necessarily bad, but it can help with negotiations with the dealer. These injectors crap the bed around 125-150k on average, so if they can prove the injectors have been worked on, that would be great. If not, they're about 200 bucks each for the bodies, plus labor.
The following users liked this post:
FrustratedFirst (05-21-2018)