Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Headlights On, Switch Off - '03 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/headlights-switch-off-03-a-307686/)

John_C 11-04-2012 03:01 PM

Headlights On, Switch Off - '03

Hello,

I've just run into a problem with the headlights remaining on after the switch is turned off. All of the other lights turn off as commanded. If I toggle the switch on and off, so far the headlights have gone out :cool: .

Can anyone suggest if this is a switch or a relay somewhere that's generating the problem? I used the running lights and fogs yesterday in rain to keep from turning the headlights on.

Thanks,

John C

Dr.Dizzle 11-04-2012 07:05 PM

Hi John C,

I have experienced this as well all of a sudden and do not see this as a problem as Mopar calls it a safety feature. This is normal as my head lights will remain on for approximately 45 to 60 seconds after moving the switch to the off position. I thought it was odd after the first occurance and toggled the switch as you did. Then I waited a while the next time outside of the vehicle and the lights went out.

John_C 11-05-2012 06:53 AM

Interesting. I've had the truck since new and had not observed this situation previously. I'll test to verify the lights do indeed go off :cool: .

Thanks for the response.

John C

jswar 11-05-2012 07:25 AM

Isn't the timer function something that can be controlled via "Personal Settings" on the overhead console?

Tapa daba do...

Danavilla 11-05-2012 08:09 AM

On my '06, if you turn the lights off before you do the ignition, they go out. If after the ignition, they stay on for a timed period. This isn't a problem, it's a choice. It gives you time to get in the house, etc. with enough light to see your way.

Dr.Dizzle 11-05-2012 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by jswar (Post 3144008)
Isn't the timer function something that can be controlled via "Personal Settings" on the overhead console?

Tapa daba do...

This is dependent upon the model year the vehicle is. The 03 MY does not incorporate that feature.

DMH 11-05-2012 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Danavilla (Post 3144016)
On my '06, if you turn the lights off before you do the ignition, they go out. If after the ignition, they stay on for a timed period. This isn't a problem, it's a choice. It gives you time to get in the house, etc. with enough light to see your way.

Same with my 04.5. Turn off the headlight switch, then turn off ignition, lights go off. Turn off ignition, then turn off headlight switch and the headlights stay on for about 30 seconds or so.

DMH

John_C 11-07-2012 06:34 AM

Agree with Dr. Dizzle. I checked the manual and there is no mention of the headlights only being able to stay on when the switch is turned off. I turned the lights on and off with the engine not running and they went off. I'll try with the engine on and see what happens, then again with the engine off.

John C

prlsnpsdodge 11-20-2012 10:13 AM

I will try this tonight... I've always cut my lights off before i turn the truck off. Just a habit. I'll leave them on, then cut the truck off, and see what happens.... I could use some extra light ever now and then...

John_C 11-20-2012 01:59 PM

Well, I tried with the engine on and off and the lights went off immediately in both cases. Looks like my problem is intermittant [verymad].

John C

Dr.Dizzle 11-20-2012 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by John_C (Post 3147731)
Well, I tried with the engine on and off and the lights went off immediately in both cases. Looks like my problem is intermittant [verymad].

John C

Try disconnecting the cables from each battery then clean the terminals and posts up with a wire brush or battery terminal brush. Also be sure to clean each of the ground wires connected to the frame and the engine compartment.

DodgeChallenger 12-08-2012 11:30 AM

Being a past electronic controls programmer I can offer this.

The new commputer systems in these trucks will take an input from the light switch, decipher your request inside the computer, then output a signal to a relay to turn the lights on based on whatever conditions and options are in the truck. What this means is that the power to drive the lights does not travel through the switch like in days of old. So the 3 suggestions that I couldd offer are;
1. the computer ground may be faulty IE corrosion, bad connection etc and may need cleaning and greasing and reattached. This happened with a Honda we had with bad grounds and computer doing stupid things. Gone after I cleaned the ground. Some of the other listers may be able to help with the location of the ground connection. Someone has also suggested to clean the battery terminals an I recommend that as well.
2. the relay for the lights could have sticking contacts caused by arcing over the years. A replacement of that may be required.
3. Could be a faulty light switch.

Hope this helps