Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Hard to shift from park (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/hard-shift-park-164697/)

wreedCTD 08-14-2007 04:58 PM

Hard to shift from park

My 06 sometimes is very hard to get it out of Park and into reverse other times the shifter moves very easy. Anyone else experience this? I remember my cousins Ram 1500 being the same way but I dont really remember.

Any info welcome.

Thanks.

iweb 08-14-2007 06:46 PM

I notice on my 05 that if I get in a hurry it sometimes acts like it binds coming out of park,and then I have to wiggle it some and it will then shift. Don't know why???

skynyrd 08-14-2007 07:05 PM

make sure that your pressing the brake in far enough when your taking it out of park.

vzdude 08-14-2007 07:07 PM

Yeah ^ ! It seems some trucks are more particular than others, and it can be adjusted, but don't even touch the shifter until the brake has been pushed. Other wise it "preloads" the shift interlock cable and the poor little solenoid doesn't have enough power to overcome it.

wreedCTD 08-14-2007 07:21 PM

i know i am pressing the brake hard enough but it seems more like what iweb said, if im in a hurry it seems to do it.

wreedCTD 08-14-2007 08:26 PM

well it sounds like my truck is not the only one. vzdude what is adjusted to make it less sensitive?

anyone else feel free to share.

rustyshakelford 08-14-2007 08:39 PM

wreed

do you use the parking brake? i will place it in neutral, set the barking brake and then place it in park. i have never had any issues. my father was a mechanic for many years and i was always taught this growing up. seems it takes all the weight off the tranny and lets the PB do the work. i get sick when i see people just throw it in park when its still rolling and preach to the people that have the privledge of driving my truck on how to use the PB. valet services dont always hire the cream of the crop sometimes

brett

wreedCTD 08-14-2007 08:41 PM

no i never use the parking brake (but i do come to a complete stop before putting in park) and i know what you are talking about with the weight on the tranny. my chevys will be hard to get out of park when you are on a incline. but the dodge just did it on my flat driveway...

vzdude 08-14-2007 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can adjust the shift interlock cable to help . Here is the procedure.

ADJUSTMENTS - BRAKE TRANSMISSION SHIFT INTERLOCK
Correct cable adjustment is important to proper interlock operation. The gearshift cable must be correctly adjusted in order to shift out of PARK.

ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE

1 - STEERING COLUMN
2 - GEARSHIFT CABLE
3 - GEARSHIFT CABLE LOCK TAB
4 - BTSI SOLENOID LOCK TAB
5 - BTSI CONNECTOR

Remove the steering column trim as necessary for access to the brake transmission shift interlock.
Shift the transmission into the PARK position.
Pull upward on both the BTSI lock tab (4) and the gearshift cable lock tab (3).(Brake Transmission Interlock Mechanism)
Verify that the shift lever is in the PARK position.
Verify positive engagement of the transmission park lock by attempting to rotate the propeller shaft. The shaft will not rotate when the park lock is engaged.
Turn ignition switch to LOCK position. Be sure ignition key cylinder is in the LOCK position. Cable will not adjust correctly in any other position.
Ensure that the cable is free to self-adjust by pushing cable rearward and releasing.
Push the gearshift cable lock tab (3) down until it snaps in place.
Locate the BTSI alignment hole in the bottom of the BTSI mechanism between the BTSI lock tab and the BTSI connector.
Move the BTSI assembly up or down on the gearshift cable until an appropriate size drill bit can be inserted into the alignment hole and through the assembly.
Push the BTSI lock tab (4) down until it snaps into place and remove the drill bit.
Install any steering column trim previously removed.

BTSI FUNCTION CHECK
Verify removal of ignition key allowed in PARK position only.
When the shift lever is in PARK, the ignition key cylinder should rotate freely from off to lock. When the shifter is in any other position, the ignition key should not rotate from off to lock.
Shifting out of PARK should be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the off position.
Shifting out of PARK should not be possible while applying normal force, and ignition key cylinder is in the run or start positions, unless the foot brake pedal is depressed approximately 1/2 inch (12mm).
Shifting out of PARK should not be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the accessory or lock position.
Shifting between any gear and NEUTRAL, or PARK, may be done without depressing foot brake with ignition switch in run or start positions.
Engine starts must be possible with shifter lever in PARK or NEUTRAL positions only. Engine starts must not be possible in any position other than PARK or NEUTRAL.
With shifter lever in the:
PARK position - Apply upward force on the shift arm and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.
PARK position - Apply downward force on the shift arm and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.
NEUTRAL position - Normal position. Engine starts must be possible.
NEUTRAL position - Engine running and brakes applied, apply upward force on the shift arm. Transmission shall not be able to shift from neutral to reverse.

wreedCTD 08-14-2007 10:49 PM

thanks!

are these repair procedures from the service manual?

vzdude 08-14-2007 10:54 PM

Copy and paste! LOL

soilsavage 08-16-2007 08:10 AM

My '06 48RE was doing the same thing and the dealer replaced the cable, didn't change a thing. Found out the 48RE's has a valve body problem that makes it hard to get out of park. Replaced the valve body and now it works like it should. I bought a Sun Coast VB which is a better shifter for the same price or a little cheaper than a Morpar.

wreedCTD 08-16-2007 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by soilsavage (Post 1650077)
My '06 48RE was doing the same thing and the dealer replaced the cable, didn't change a thing. Found out the 48RE's has a valve body problem that makes it hard to get out of park. Replaced the valve body and now it works like it should. I bought a Sun Coast VB which is a better shifter for the same price or a little cheaper than a Morpar.

hmmm, im gonna let the dealer try to fix mine first. VZdude works at a Dodge dealer and it looks like he know of the problem and the fix.