3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Lamp Out indicator keeps coming on! Help Please!!

Old 12-24-2010, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lamp Out indicator keeps coming on! Help Please!!

This is going to sound silly...The "Lamp Out" indicator keeps coming on. I have checked every exterior bulb and they are all functioning. All fuses (including trailer light circuits) have been checked and a couple of them replaced. Just when I think I got it figured out, I turn the key, no indicator then the blinking indicator and then solid. Any help is greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas Everyone!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't worry, one of the bulbs is about to fail. I went two weeks with the lamp indicator on before one of the tail lights went out.

MikeyB
Old 12-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Look on the tail lights, pull the bulb out and look at the wire contacts. One of the wires may be a little melted. Either push it over toward the center of the bulb a little, or replace it. Also, look at the third brake light, tag lights, and cab lights if you have them. Let me know what you have after you look at that. If you don't see anything, let us know, we'll go from there.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had the same issue. I replaced ALL of the bulbs twice and still had it. I had to replace one of the light bars on the back light assembly. The dealer guy new the part number without looking it up. Very common issue. Get one, try one side. If that don't do it, move it to the other. It was about $20 if I recall.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My '03 did that when the connector for my right front turn signal got moist from a change in the weather.

I sprayed some compressed air into the connector to clean out the water and it reseated the bulb, problem solved.

Kris
Old 12-25-2010, 08:26 AM

Driver's side tail light, middle bulb is usually the culprit when mine does that. The bulb looks fine from the outside but upon pulling it, the base is melted.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:02 AM

Its most likely one of the tail lights - is a common problem as the other guys have said - I would replace all the bulbs and make sure connections are all tight - if that doesnt fix it then you may have to replace one of the light bars to fix it as 1-2-3 mentioned above
Old 12-25-2010, 01:13 PM

After posting, I went out and checked the bulbs and fuses. The drivers side tailights work but not the brake indicator. Bulbs are new , no noticable melting on the base. I think I will get a light bar on monday. I will report back after I get it. Thanks loads for the suggestions and help!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!
Old 12-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Does the passenger side work? If so, swap them out to make sure it's a base and not wiring.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:41 PM

The same thing happened on mine and nearly drove me nuts till someone told me a brake light was out.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:15 PM

Ok, so I pulled the rear light bars off and swapped them. They both work when on the passenger side but neither work on the drivers side. I checked resistance and initially I found the 2 green w white wires somehow were connected. I pulled the silicone and ensured the short wasn't there. After reassembly the ohm meter read zero on the same 2 wires. After all that the Driver rear brake light no worky and lamp out indicator still on. I am headed to the dealer on Monday. I am sure this will be expensive but I don't feel like tracing wires back to the fuse box (OBTW fuses all checked and good). I let you all know what comes of this. Thanks for the help and all the best!!!
Mark
Old 12-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Hold up, man... we can fix this easy.

Last time I pulled the bed, I got the wires pinched between the bed and frame... once I pulled it out and fixed the wires, it was right as rain. They're not hard to trace.

If you do take it to the dealer, let us know what it was.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:24 AM

Mine was because the plastic on the connector of the bulb had melted. I found some bulbs that are all glass including the connector at a local independent parts house, and problem solved. Drove me crazy for a few weeks trying to figure it out...
Old 12-27-2010, 04:32 PM

I have the same thing. Always the brake light, driver side. I have cleaned, lubed, and bent the bulb contacts for a tight contact. Have they improved the design since 03? Shouldn't this be a safety recall? It's really getting old.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:16 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Autozone sells a glass base version of the bulb, at least they did at the time and that's what I used to solve the issue on my 2002 Ram. The glass base also has larger contact tracks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lamp Out indicator keeps coming on! Help Please!!